Coconut oil - yes or no?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

A while ago it was on the list of no-nos. Now, it seems to be gaining popularity. do you or don't you? And on what? Gene

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I use it on some of my stir fry. I use it in all of my soap making. Here is a site dedicated to using coconut oil.
http://thecoconutmama.com/how-to-cook-with-coconut-oil/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I use it. I like it because it remains a solid at room temperature. It seems to stay good for a long time and not go rancid.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I use it rarely for cooking. It has an obvious coconut flavor that needs to go with what is being cooked. It is good, as Weeding mentioned, for health and beauty products in place of commercial body lotions or hair treatments. The jury is out regarding the manipulation of HDL (good cholesterol) vs. LDL (bad cholesterol) when it comes to frequent consumption of products such as coconut oil with high HDL levels. It's certainly not a substitute for olive oil.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I read in several posts about using coconut oil with Turmeric & black pepper, but I hesitate because it contains 60% Saturated fat--how can that be considered healthy? Why wouldn't canola oil be better?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

When I Google this topic it seems like all the positive comments are coming from Coconut growers, producers, societies. Kind of like asking the used car salesperson if you should buy that car. Makes me hesitate. Gene

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I use it quite a bit. I do not think it gives foods cooked in it a coconutty flavor. You have to get the unrefined stuff. I do not use olive oil any more.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

But is all of it high in saturated fat? Why not Canola, or even Flax oil?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Have you ever had flax oil? Eeeewwwwww.......about made me gag!

Everything I have read about coconut oil tells that it is much better for you. I do not use it every day.

Hobart, IN

From what I've read, the chain length of the fat molecules (hope I stated that correctly) makes a difference in how it behaves in the body. Supposedly, mid-chain length (ie coconut oil) is supposed to be of a benefit. But I'm not a biochemist.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I've read the same thing. It's a mid-chain fat and they are beneficial and not harmful. (I'm not a biochemist either.)

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

That's correct. I'm not a biochemist either. However, it was my minor when I went back to school for the third set of degrees. lol Today's oil wars are so much more complicated than when they used to boil up a batch and throw it over the fortress walls.

Off topic to the coconut oil question but in response to an above post, I know canola is supposed to be flavorless but I can taste something in it that is disagreeable to me so I fry with peanut oil, use coconut oil with fragrant, sweeter dishes and lots of olive oil for everything else.

Hobart, IN

Don't use canola. 1) has a taste I don't like and 2) I'd have to buy organic which can be hard to find. Canola a big GMO like corn and soy. I use either olive, peanut or grapeseed oils.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.