What are you dehydrating?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

critterologist, here we go. What things do you dehydrate? I have dehydrated broccoli, carrots, corn, lemons, peppers, apples, mints and sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes I dehydrated for doggie chips. My dog is allergic to all meats except chicken and I needed to make him some treats. He likes the sweet potato chips for dogs that you buy at the store but they are so expensive. I have tried them with oil put on before dehydrating and without oil. He likes them with the oil and five spice. I don't pre-cook them. I slice, oil, sprinkle on five spice and dehydrate for 10 hours. The brown you see on the sweet potato chips is the 5 spice. They all did not get covered with the 5 spice.. Ooops!

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is a picture of the oranges after they have dried. I'm glad they did not loose any color.

Thumbnail by weeding
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Those orange slices are so pretty! Are you eating them or using them in pot-pourri (ok, I spelled that wrong, but you know what I mean I hope).

Have you tried the sweet potato chips? 5 spice sounds good, but make sure it doesn't have garlic if you're using it on dog treats, as I've heard that can be a bad thing.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Apples with cinnamon are my favorite thing to dehydrate... or the cinnamon-applesauce ornaments... the whole house smells so fantastic!

I dehydrated habanero peppers once (had trouble with mold when I tried just stringing them to dry)... had to move the operation to the garage because of the fumes.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have eaten a couple of the orange slices. They were not bad at all. I do eat the sweet potato chips that I dehydrated with the oil and five spice. No garlic in the 5 spice. It has star anise, cloves, chinese cinnamon, Sichuan pepper and fennel. When I dry pears and apples I use the 5 spice on them and my dog Max and I love to eat them. You can use the slices in tea or water. You can chop them up and use in stews or your own tea blends.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Love the idea of putting the spiced, dried fruit into tea!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Today I am dehydrating Mango. I will dehydrate them until they are pliable, like a fruit rollup. I am using the small yellow mango. Yum!!!!!

Thumbnail by weeding
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I love dried mangos! Fresh ones are about the same $ per pound as dried around here, LOL, so I buy dried ones at Trader Joe's. Sometimes I can find them unsulphered, better yet. :-)

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

The dried ones are a little pricey here. The fresh ones I can get pretty cheap.I really wish I could afford a freeze dry machine because I love freeze dried fruit.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh yes, those crunchy strawberry slices are the best part of Special K "red berries" cereal... we went through a real craze with freeze dried fruit when Joyanna was little and I was trying to carry snacks along everywhere. :-)

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Today I am dehydrating cuban oregano, I have tons of it. The leaves are thick so I'm not sure how well it will dehydrate.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I harvested and dried Greek oregano on newspaper three weeks ago. Time to harvest again. It grows fast this time of year. Also harvested and dried thyme.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Dehydrated beet green tops and pulverized in a spice grinder. Sprinkling on everything!

About to do the same with KALE leaves.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Quote from Gymgirl :
Dehydrated beet green tops and pulverized in a spice grinder. Sprinkling on everything!

About to do the same with KALE leaves.

Do the beet leaves give a flavor to what you add them too? I might try this as I need to add veggies to my meals.

Weeding,
So far, I haven't been able to detect the beet greens in what I've sprinkled it on. Salads, scrambled eggs, my chicken tortilla soup. This is a great way to sneak it in on kids, too!

Dehydrating PEPPERS!!!

I've done one batch of what I thought were Tabasco peppers, only to discover the tag said Chili peppers! No wonder I was confused about why the plant is hugging the ground at a max. 8" but cranking out more peppers than I could imagine from such a tiny plant, LOL!

And the true Tabasco pepper plants that are standing at 3' tall are loaded, and just beginning to turn candy apple red. Won't be long now for a batch of dehydrated Tabascos!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

My peppers are doing great also. I will start picking next week,

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I dehydrated some tofu a couple of days ago for my vegetarian dog Max. He is now allergic to all meats and seafood. He has also become allergic to most nuts and wheat. It is very difficult to find snacks that do not have any of these ingredients so I decided to try tofu and he likes it. I know a lot of people say not to give it to your dog but his vegetarian dog food has soy in it. PetRX says it is OK as long as there is not an allergy to it. I hope he does not form an allergy to it as it is the only treat that I can give him now and it is the only way I can get him to take his pills. Bless his heart he really miss the meat. He used to be able to eat all meats and slowly became allergic to all over 6 year.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2016 2:12 PM

This message was edited Jul 21, 2016 2:14 PM

Thumbnail by weeding
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

How is Max doing? Poor pup, sure glad he has you to take care of him! Have you tried ground lamb? My aunt's dog ended up eating lamb & rice, only thing she could tolerate.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Max is doing pretty good now. He had a severe reaction to the Sentry Pro flea meds and we went thru a tough 2 weeks. I found this vege dog food call Nature's Recipe Healthy Skin Vegetarian on Chewy.com that was at a great price. He loves this dog food. I discovered that he is also allergic to wheat and this is the only food that does not have wheat or oats.
I also made some dehydrated sweet potato chews that was tough enough for him to chew on for a couple of minutes. I baked the potatoes and added some agar agar before I shaped and dehydrated them. The agar agar made the sweet potato harder.
Thanks critterologist for inquiring about my Max. Here is a pic of Max with flour on his face. He was helping me cook. Hee Hee!

Thumbnail by weeding

I raided the freezer over the weekend, and found a gallon bag of whole okra. I've been running across YouTube videos showing dehydrating as a final step before freezer foods are going old/bad, or to reclaim the freezer space. So, I'd like to put these okra on the dehydrator.

They're in the fridge thawing out, and are getting quite wet, which means the mucilaginous process is well under way. How do I go about drying them out, before I dry them out? Or, is there a need at this point, since they're going on the dehydrator? Maybe just pat them dry with some paper towels, first?

Finally, do you have any idea how long will it take to dry them out? I'm guessing a minimum of 24 hours to start.

Thanks for your feedback, in advance.

orangeville, Canada

I've never done okra. I'm dehydrating tomatoes! Will be great as sun-dried tomatoes for pasta (minus the sun). Good luck with the okra!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Quote from Gymgirl :
I raided the freezer over the weekend, and found a gallon bag of whole okra. I've been running across YouTube videos showing dehydrating as a final step before freezer foods are going old/bad, or to reclaim the freezer space. So, I'd like to put these okra on the dehydrator.

They're in the fridge thawing out, and are getting quite wet, which means the mucilaginous process is well under way. How do I go about drying them out, before I dry them out? Or, is there a need at this point, since they're going on the dehydrator? Maybe just pat them dry with some paper towels, first?

Finally, do you have any idea how long will it take to dry them out? I'm guessing a minimum of 24 hours to start.

Thanks for your feedback, in advance.

I would have put them directly in the dehydrator from the freezer. When I buy frozen veggies to dehydrate they go in the dehydrator as soon as I get them home.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.