Bird Nesting 2016

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Birders greetings to all my gardening friends here. I'll open this thread for all of us to share our birds' nesting activity. Please share what's going on in your backyard that pertains to our nesting season for the year, as well as what success we may have had in years past.

I've missed these White-breasted Nuthatches for quite sometimes. Suddenly they stopped coming to the nest box. So did the Blue Birds to theirs in my backyard. But the last few days, the WBN have been quite active around the area. Today, few mins. ago. I saw a pair; presumably the 'couple' by the nestbox. Woooohoooo! Then they apparently have signed the lease to the house. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This evening there is apparent evidence that the Nuthatches have committed to their 'new' home. I was delighted to find them bringing nesting materials back into the 'house'.

I also saw Eastern Blue Bird checks out the nest box nearby. So I set out mealworms hoping to entice the Blue birds to commit to theirs. But thus far, Carolina chickadees, Tufted Titmice and Carolina Wrens discovered the mealworms, but not the BBs.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh, wait, wait, I spoke to soon. As I thought the BBs didn't find the mealworms. I was wrong. Here is a pair of them first discovering the treats. They were entertaining; at first the BBs appeared to be interested in the moving critters in the bowl, but perhaps they have never seen these treat before. They were just standing there and looked chickadee and wrens going at the treats, before they finally dip in. Soon after, Northern Cardinal were interested, and took over the dining of the mealworms. :(

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The mealworms treat has proven to be popular with the song birds. I'm pleased my Eastern Blue Bird returned to the feeder. Actually it returned and appeared to look for the treat before I could bring out the favorite treat for them. Every kind of birds seem to enjoy the treat. One new thing I've learned, the House Finches, and Gold Finches have not seen picking up the millies? They looked, then flew off and let other birds dine on these treat. Hah, new learning curve for me.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Great assortment of photos, Kim! Thanks for sharing them. We have lots of birds, but we won't have any nesting activity for a while.

I'm sure I'll be following the activity of those of you in warmer zones for the time being, though.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Naming of the pair; at close up. The Blue Birds pair reveals a bright white strips on their wings, both the male and his mate. So the papa is named "Blue Eyes" and his mate is "Bright Eyes".

Their antic is something so sweet. Blue Eyes will hang around presumably stand- guard while Bright Eyes gets her treat.

Shown below, Bright Eyes was braving her will against a female Northern Cardinal. She successfully frighten off the Cardinal, whose size is much bigger than hers. :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi N.A.N. Welcome to the thread. Hang tight, Spring was predicted to be early this year. So spring will be there where you're soon.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's over cast today. The Eastern BBs were very active yesterday, but I've yet seen them today? I have put out a new blend of birds seeds, which attracted the Redheaded Woodpecker to the yard. These lovelies also nesting somewhere nearby.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The BBs skipped lunch, but did return for dinner. My WBNH (White breasted Nuthatches) continue to build their nest.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow...lots of nesting at your house! Love all the shots, but that little Titmouse on the rope is especially adorable.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks NAN, the Titmice too -- must be nesting in the shrubs nearby like Cardinals, I've yet to find them adopting the nest boxes that we put up over the years. I cleaned out most of the nest boxes where I can reach, while doing so. I discovered several Chickadee's previous year old-nesting. There was one nest with Chickadee's eggs that didn't get to term. Hopefully they will have better luck this year. Today was a yucky, rainy day. No new pics. to share. Hopefully tomorrow.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm a little concern the BBs were not committed to the nest box, they came and looking for meallies treat, but were not showing sign of interest in the house. A Carolina Wren was seen perching atop the same box, so we'll soon find out which species will claim the 'house'?

Today is a nice day. I discovered a nest box specialized for Woodpeckers. I'll looking forward to add this attractive nest box into the back of the garden and hoping there will be a taker in the near future.

The WBNH pair have been very active at the nestbox, one thing new I found out that they collect dogwood bark to build their nest.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here are some close-up of the lovely BBs named 'Blue Eyes' and his mate 'Bright Eyes'. They come to the back yard together to beg for meallies treat. Blue Eyes the male is likely to arrives first, found the treat. His mate Bright Eyes soon arrived there after, then the male will stand guard allowing his mate her share of the goodies, when she's satisfied, she will take turn to stand guards for him to get his. Such lovely couple. They haven't spent any time at the nearby nest box. I'm hoping they will commit to it soon. Time will tell.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

At the mean time, the WBNHs pair are hard working at their home. I've seen quite a few Goldfinches in the area, but have not seen their nest. Have you?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Today was the first day I saw the male Goldfinch in breeding plumage. Photo pending. My BBs pair were seen checking out a different nest box in the garden. They continue to come to the meallies feeder on a regular basic. Spring has sprung -- at least for my WBNHs and the Blues birds. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

1 & 2. The male Goldfinch in breeding plumage. I wished I knew if this species build their nest in our neck of the woods.
3. WBNH is working hard at the nestbox. First I noticed them picking up coarse materials such as Dogwood's bark to line the nest box. Few days later, I saw them bringing lighter material such as pine straws to their new home. What's smart birds! How did they resort to such skill at constructing nest for their offspring?
4. The ever popular 'Dinner Bell' feeder.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Today was a spring-like day in the garden. I didn't know much about the birds and water fowls activities -- for I went up the mountain with DH to see some waterfalls. I did see a Wood ducks in the area lake a couple of days past. I was so tempted to get a Wood ducks nest box for them but, there are so many predators (Great Blue Herons, Raccoons, and or snakes), so I refrained myself from introducing the lovely nestlings to potential danger. So I decided against the nest box designed for them....

1. The WBNH caught a bug
2 & 3 A Mallards couple passing by our back yard.
4. The nest box with non viable eggs from the Carolina Chickadees last season, I did see the 'Dees back checking on the nest.
5. DH and I took these gourd houses down and cleaned them out with deluted chlorox and soapy water, the gourd houses were aiming to attract Martins, but Tree - Swallows took a liking for these gourds houses for the past few years. We'll know for sure Spring has arrived, when the Swallows return to the garden, in which I've not seen them yet.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

On Super Tuesday, temp. is still mild. Activities in the garden continued to unfold. BBs are still shopping around for nest box. They've yet decided on one, WBNHs continue to bring nesting materials into their nest. Pekin ducks come around quite often. Also, new leaf buds are obvious on weeping willow.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

DH and I hung 3 more birds houses around the garden. One of which was designed for Woodpeckers. The two others for song birds.

1. The Woodpeckers'. This rather larger than other houses. We hung the nest box in the "woods" and out of traffic area. Hopefully we'll attract some Woodpeckers. We've both Downy & Hairy Wps. The Red-headed, and Red-Bellied Woodpeckers so it'll be interesting if we'll have a taker this Spring.
2. A Chickadee nest box.
3. I hung some blue ornamental objects in the garden to attract Eastern Blue Birds into the garden.
4. & 5. Another new nest box to the front yard, hopefully one of the EBBs (Eastern Blue Birds) will notice this one. It's under a large Southern Magnolia, and receive very little foot traffic.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, you have a lot of nest boxes! That's so cool.

I have been sick for over a week so I've mostly been lurking, but I've really enjoyed your pictures. Thanks for sharing them!

Right now it's 24 degrees here, going up to about 31. We had a light snow yesterday. I actually enjoy ALL the seasons, including winter. As the seasons change it makes each one seem special. And while I look forward to the Spring birds and migrants we don't see in winter, I will miss our winter-only birds like the Dark-eyed Juncos and American Tree Sparrows.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

NAN, hope you'll be feeling much better soon. I'm so thankful to learn that even with winter coldest wind, someone out there enjoys and being graceful of all the seasons' beauty mother nature has to offer.

Aw, Dark-eyed Juncos and American Tree Sparrows, they will hang out here with us down here. I'll share more pics. of the beauties when you missed them so bad, just holler at me. :))

This morning we've seen a spectacular show from this flock of American White Pelicans, these birds perhaps are heading back to their breeding ground?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

March comes like Lions! All a sudden birds in the garden signal it's Spring! Of the 3 new nest boxes we put up a few days ago. The one on the Magnolia has a pair of Carolina Chickadees visiting. I wasn't quick enough to capture some of the pictures. Will post some when I get a chance.
1. WBNHs pair continue to build their nest.
2. Bright eyes -- the moma Blue and Blue Eyes, her beau on the back of the mealworm cake in the backyard.
3. Blue Eyes the papa Blue.
4. Cardinals are actively chasing one another in the garden, a hint that they're competing for nesting space.
5. Carolina Wrens, these are very quick to discover mealworms, wherever I set them out for the BBs. There are enough for everyone, especially houses finches do not favor the wiggling treats. Thus I make sure everyone gets enough of their share.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well we're, partially, back in 2016, but it's forward progress.

Beautiful pics! That's very clever the way you have all the feeders hanging on the rope. What keeps them from sliding down the rope? Are there "stoppers" of some kind?

I saw your post saying your new bird watching thread wasn't showing up on your thread watcher. I'm hoping my post will make it show up for you.

No nesting here yet, but our snow is mostly melted after a warm up yesterday. These pics were taken when there was more snow.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi NAN, brrrrrr, that looks mighty cold there still. Thank you for checking in. The feeders do move when squirrels get onto them, some kind of stoppers is a great idea. Thanks. It appears the bugs are being worked out by DG. I'll share more pics. later. I'm having issues with my PC down loading...

Hope Spring get there soon for y'all.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Actually, most of the snow melted over the weekend. We can still get snow, but at this time of year it usually melts quickly.

Yesterday evening the first Mallard pair of the year showed up in our yard to nibble on some corn...yay! I call them Mr. and Mrs. Mallard.

For years I believe it was always the same pair, but now we have assorted pairs over the spring/summer so I'm not sure.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Fast melting snow, sounds better. :) The Mallard pair, the Mr. and Mrs. How sweet. I hosted a couple for two years in a row in the past, then some unknown predator(s) got the mama one early Spring. Papa came back with a new 'woman' the following spring, but she was too young and didn't know how to hide her eggs -- as a result Herons, or Raccoons got to their nest and robbed their eggs, not once, but twice. Since then I stopped hosting them -- I gently persuaded them off the area with a presence of a small 'presky' pup. She's some watch-dog alright. But we love her all the same. :)

We're outdoor most of the day today, DH and I. He repairs a deck in the back yard. I'm working on our veggies garden. Will check back in the evening. Happy birding. :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

1. Chickadees took an interest to this new bird house. There's another one in the backyard that they have shown going in and out more than one time. 2. Mockingbird surely are building their nests in shrub near by. 3. Our grand dog (we adopted her from our children) and she rules the household. 4. Early apple blossoms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here come my Carolina Chickadees!

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Your Grand Dog is a cutie. I think she likes having her picture taken. :o)
Lovely blooms too.

Yay for your Carolina Chickadees!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The little dog is a mess, we love her! lol. She's the smallest dog, but like I said she thinks she's the "big dog". :o)

Just a little while ago, the BBs showed interest in the Chickadee's chosen nest box. First 'Blue Eyes' checked the box over, while 'Bright Eyes' his mate at the mealworm cake feeder. After 'Bright Eyes' finished eating, she came to look the house over. The couple hang around the house for a good long while, at the mean time, my Chickadees were perching nearby -- in distress. Please stay tuned, I'll post any new development.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It has been a busy morning, DH and I have trees service crew to take down some large trees in the backyard. The nesting birds are unhappy about all this going on, but they continue to build their nests when we turn our backs to their territories. Oh the BBs didn't claim the house, as evidence by the Chickadees are back with nesting materials in their beaks. Dream, dream of Spring!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

HOUSING DISPUTE....among the tenants.

In years past, I noticed when Eastern Blue Birds showed interest in the White-breasted Nuthatches, the WBNHs can surely defend their territory. They both, the mama and papa will chase the BBs off. And kept their house. This year, I first noticed the BBs took a liking to the nest box that Carolina Chickadees already started to build -- as shown in photo 1 & 2. I took a peak into the house, and sure enough Chickadee already built their nest -- no eggs laid yet.

Usually, the BBs come to the backyard twice a day for their meal times, in the morning they stopped and checked out the house. Then they left by lunch time, the Chickadees returned to their business of building....
By dinner time, the BBs returned and I saw the male Blue bird chased the 'Dees' urgghh! Poor chickadees, they're no match for the BBS. I wished I could have caught a picture to share....

Other menace in the backyard as shown on pic. #4 Great Blue Heron on the watch. :((

This message was edited Mar 10, 2016 7:30 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

addendum: Pix #3 as shown above with the WBNH in its own nest box. They remain very active at the site, so I refrain myself from peaking into their house for I don't want to frighten them off.

Spring really has arrived here for us. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The Gourd Houses : I thought I saw Swallow species in our area but wasn't sure they were Tree - Swallows. Moment ago one stopped by and looked in one of the gourd houses, shortly thereafter another one also circling the nest boxes. I wasn't quick enough to catch their picture. ...stay tuned for Tree -Swallows pix. Photo of 'Bright Eyes ' this morning after she visited the breakfast buffet.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The picture isn't very clear, but I think it's one of the Tree - Swallows.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, you really have a lot of nesting going on. That's really sad about the Chickadees nest after working so hard to build it. I hope they find another safe place to nest.

I love those Gourd houses every time I see your pictures of them.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I feel the same thing for the Chickadees, last year they laid eggs, but didn't succeed, I was wondering if they were chased off and couldn't incubate the eggs? There are many other nest box around the garden. Hopefully they'll have better luck this year.

It has been pretty quiet as far as nesting activities. The Tree-swallow were gone, until a little while ago. One returned and looked into the gourd houses.

The Tufted Titmice are in the front of the garden. It's odd, I see a group of 3 chasing one another, maybe they try to pair up?

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

No nesting here yet (that I know of), but the activity is changing a bit...more spring-like.

Yesterday I watched and heard flock after flock of Sandhill Cranes flying over my house. They fly over very high up on their way to somewhere else more north. I know some of them go to Horicon Marsh in Wisconsin.

Even with a zoom, these are the best pics I got.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow! Those are great! I've never seen these Cranes in person down South.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Some more pics. in the garden today, I peeked into the Dees' nest box, there was no eggs. The WBNHs are there in theirs most of the time, so I don't know for sure what's going with their nesting. :)

This message was edited Mar 12, 2016 5:14 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.