Foodsaver Vacuum Sealer

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

How many of you use a foodsaver. My sister calls me the foodsaver queen. I have been very lucky finding my foodsavers. My suggestions for getting them at great prices are the thrift stores and discount stores. I found my first 2, the Vac 500, a few years ago at my neighborhood thrift store for $5.00 each. I found one about a year ago on Ebay, the Vac 3880, for $15.00. They listed it as unable to fully test. Since the V3880 usually priced at $170.00 I thought it would be worth it to try. It worked perfect and looked new. 2 weeks ago I saw the V5860 at a discount store and it had a price tag of $14.00. You know I had to take it home and test it. I knew that it usually priced at around $300.00. It powered on but would then power off. I called foodsaver and they had me to ship it to them, which cost me $15.00, They replaced it. So that foodsaver cost me $29.00. I use my foodsavers all the time, I keep my old v500 because it works best for making small bags from the larger bags without wasting bag.

Thumbnail by weeding
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I use a Snorkel Vac. Bags are waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than the Foodsaver bags, plus, I can seal ANY bag with it. Even the Foodsaver bags. I believe you have to use only the Foodsaver bags with the Foodsaver system, yes?

I bought my Snorkel Vac for $99.99 (it was on sale). I bought 1,000 (one thousand) 8x14" bags for $78. Total was $202 with shipping charges. That avgs. out to roughly $.02/bag. The Foodsaver bags average $.50/bag. That's 25 of my bags....

I have enough bags for the next 5 years, at least...

http://www.sealersales.com/sinbo_dz280

The Snorkel vac sounds great. A vac that can use any bags is surely the way to go. If I find a Snorkel at my local thrift store or discount store I will definitely will buy and try. Look for all brands of vacs at your local thrift or discount stores. Paying retail price for me and others is not an option that is why I say to look in the thrift and discount stores.
There is a hack for using other bags in your Foodsaver.

Decatur, GA

GG, Thanks for the heads up on the sealersales/Sinbo sealer. I watched the video and wonder if they are as good as the Foodsaver. I have had the latter for a few years and its started to make noises. I'm wondering how much longer it might last.
I don't use mine a ton but when I do its really handy for storing food. And actually if the bags weren't so expensive I might use it more.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Helen,
Not sure what you mean by "as good as," but I bought the Snorkel Vac because the bags are so much cheaper. It sucks all the air out, and nothing gets freezer burned. Only thing lacking is the attachment port for vacuum sealing jars. But, I do more canning with jars than storing vacuum sealed foods.

And, the unit is so small, I keep it on my counter top. Takes me all of 30 seconds to re-seal something I've opened. About the same time it would take me to reach for a ziplok baggie. Only, most things go into the freezer for long-term storage.

I love it!

This message was edited May 19, 2016 10:47 AM

This message was edited May 19, 2016 10:47 AM

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Commercial Bargains 2 Pack 11" x 50' and 8" x 50' Commercial Vacuum Sealer Saver Rolls Food Storage 15.14 Amazon - just for these - 1 roll can make 40 bags of same size as usually sold. Much cheaper. I just started using them - I make long bags so the bag lasts longer - I remove one portion and reseal.

11/12/16 Looks like Amazon raised the price - a lot - now 25.85. The bags work but I will shop around for a better price.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2016 9:07 AM

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

I had an old foodsaver I had not used for some time, tried it, power worked but would not seal so tossed it and got another. The new one stopped sealing, it was under warranty, called them, got replacement, this also stopped, they told me to remove and replace the sealer rubbers, did not work, they sent new rubbers. It finally worked - rubbers get too flat to seal properly. Pain in the neck. This one has the jar sealer too - which I do use a lot for salads, tomatoes, strawberries in the frig. I recently got replacement bags from amazon, started cutting my own much longer - the extra length allows me to remove a portion and reseal for some time. I also started making portions in snack bags inserted into the vacuum bag - works like a charm. Bags are much cheaper to make from rolls, last much longer if make bigger for portions. I am currently using 2 sizes of rolls - wider for cherry taquitos and narrower for the snack bags. The extra length above the portions does not cause a problem in the freezer - way too thin for it to be a problem. I am using these rolls: Commercial bargains 50 ft each roll.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Why do you call this an updated post when the last one is from 2016? I am tired of seeing this on my page. Who runs this site? First I pay for one more year then get dunned for not paying and get blocked. Then I get ancient posts shown as new ones. Anyone here? Any humans?

Decatur, GA

Hi carolmo,
I have resigned up with DG recently with some trepidation. I understand your frustration with the management of the site - it use to be great in the old days but the take over group made some major mistakes and a lot of folks went else where.
Anyway I am still interested in vacuum sealers and enjoyed you post. I am wondering what make and model you have? If you mentioned it I missed it.
Thanks, Helen

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

This site is a joke. I re-upped because of my friends over in the "Coffee and..... " thread over in the parking lot forum. I have too many friendships there that are worth much more than the $20 it cost me to subscribe. There is supposed to be someone that is "taking care of things". We had some enthusiastic posts from him at the beginning but he has also seemed to fade into oblivion. To quote Barry Kripke from The Big Bang Theory........."Supwise, supwise..."

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

Helenchild - I have Spacesaver V2244 with the jar sealer and an extra warranty. I use it daily.

Quote from helenchild :

Anyway I am still interested in vacuum sealers and enjoyed you post. I am wondering what make and model you have? If you mentioned it I missed it.
Thanks, Helen

Hi Helen

I have
2 Vac 500
1 V3880
1 V5860

Decatur, GA

I ended up getting Mooka TVS-2150 Vacuum Sealer through Amazon. It was reasonably priced and had a lot of good reviews. I have used it occasionally (that's all I use a vac/sealor anyway) and so far so good.
Thanks.

Fremont, CA

Vacmaster VP215 is a nice option to choose, I think. I use this one for a couple of years and totally happy with it. Itís small, smart and convenient for any type of kitchen. Works with liquids as well as with semi-liquids. https://mcdonaldpaper.com/storage store has them at stock, check it out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.