Dusty \'Puter & Leaf Blower

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I've noticed my leaf blower works far better than a can of canned air for cleaning the inside of my computer of dust. I just take the tower computer outside, remove the side panel and hold the leaf blower a few feet away and gently blow the insides of the computer out. Much more thorough and no disposable can either.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Interesting. Wonder if that would work for my laptop. I really do think it needs cleaning.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I've used my hair dryer, set on No Heat, to clean out my keyboard! ;-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, good idea, June. I'll try that. Now when you say 'keyboard', are you referring to a laptop or desktop? It does make a difference, because a desktop keyboard has almost no circuitry to speak of, while a laptop keyboard is right over the motherboard and all of the laptop internals. Just curious.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Desktop, Cheryl. My IPad, Smart Phone and now Smart Watch are not my favorite tools but all are so neatly sealed up against crumbs and dust!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, June. I deserted my desktop years ago & now do everything via laptop. I don't like to type on non-standard keyboards like phones, etc. Old school, I know. Until a few months ago, I kept a custom-fitted keyboard cover (skin) over my laptop keyboard, so maybe there isn't all that much dust and stuff in there after all.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a "Mini Attachment" set for a vacuum cleaner. I originally bought it to clean the inside of my sewing machine and serger. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't even tried it yet.

There's a "bridge" attachment that's large on one end (for a standard vacuum cleaner hose) and the other end is small for the mini attachments. It has a hose and about half a dozen different attachments.

I've been thinking about trying it on the computer keyboard (desktop), but haven't gotten around to it. You guys just reminded me to get it out and use it. In fact it would probably work great on all sorts of things.

June, I like your idea of the hair dryer.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I was attempting to combine a horticultural tool (leaf blower) with computer maintenance. Well, maybe it's a guy thing.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

And a very creative idea at that!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Absolutely!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.