Coleslaw

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Do you have a Coleslaw recipe you can share. The only coleslaw I really like is Chick-fil-a but they decided to stop selling it. Luckily they posted the recipe and are giving out the recipe at the restaurant. Here it is, please post your recipe.

Chick-fil-A Cole Slaw
(Makes 6-8 servings)

4 teaspoons vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mayonnaise
2 bags (10 oz bags) find shredded cabbage, chopped to 1/8 inch
1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
Whisk vinegar, sugar, mustard, and salt together until sugar is dissolved. Add mayonnaise and whisk to mix. Add cabbage and carrots. Mix to combine. Refrigerate 2 hours and serve.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This ones been loved forever.
1 Medium head of cabbage
cup of sugar
3 tablespoons Miracle Whip
2 tablespoons vinegar
cup water

Shred cabbage, (add a little carrot for color)
Mix ingredients together.
Pour over cabbage.
Let stand, serve chilled.
Refrigerate leftover slaw, keeps for a long period.

Bertha Kleinschmidt of Country Gardens

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

we like this one;

Coleslaw - Sweet, Creamy & Sugar-free

Recipe By : Keri Cathey
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads Slaw

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 lb shredded cabbage -- to 1 1/2 lb
--or 1 bag slaw mix
2 carrots -- shredded
1/4 small red onion -- shredded, optional
--Dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise, light -- to 3/4 cup
11 packets Splenda sweetener
2 Tbs cider vinegar
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce -- Chipotle, optional
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery seeds -- optional

Blend dressing ingredients well, and mix with vegetables. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.

This recipe originally used 1/2 cup sugar. I had heard many good things about the taste of Splenda sweetener, so I thought I'd give it a shot in this. Since each packet = 2 teaspoons sugar, I ciphered thusly:

1/2 cup sugar = 4/8 cup = 4 x 2 Tbs = 8 Tbs = 8 x 3 tsp = 24 tsp / 2 = 12 packets to equal 1/2 cup sugar. I miscounted and only used 11 packets, but that was PLENTY sweet. Bubba-tested and approved.

Keri C, bbq list 5-17-2003

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

1LT...what brand light mayo are you using that is sugar free? I went back to full fat mayo years ago after discovering light options replaced fat with sugar. Also, I'm cautious about salt but 1/4 tsp. seems light to sweat the veggies.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

my wife just uses w'ever mayo or even miracle whip(which has sugar) we have on hand. And sometimes she will use celery salt if she doesn't have celery seeds. But, she has always used the splenda so - kinda half-way on the sugar free lol!

we just like the end result, it's the only coleslaw I've ever seen her eat. But, there are so many types of coleslaw, not everyone will like a 'creamy' style.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the response, 1_LTex! I was thinking folks who need to restrict or eliminate refined sugar should know slaw made with low fat mayo would probably have significantly more sugar than regular mayo and not be sugar free.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.