Maryland, was in rusty bloom everywhere, id?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

These were planted but also huge trees in the woods, so perhaps a 'native' choice? I do not know this one

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Some bloom left there, but mostly the rusty red samaras (seeds) of Red Maple - Acer rubrum.

Definitely native, and one big reason to go leaf peepin' up that way come autumn...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Maples bloom?!!! A recognizable flower if I but knew that long stamen'd tiny flower. I see why the rusty color; at least I recognized the barely purple redbuds, am gonna have to look up a 'Wey Oak' not one I was familiar with, but they were proud enough of it to label it... thanx VV

You are welcome, and yes - all maples do bloom. Many are quite attractive and showy - but you have to be looking. The big shade trees usually have the flowers way up in the crown (especially forests, or limbed up landscapes) where you wouldn't easily see them. Watch Japanese Maples as they leaf out - great little colorful flowers there.

I think you mean "Wye Oak" (I'll note this on the Spell Czech thread), which had for a long time been the World Champion White Oak specimen, located at Wye Mills, MD. The labeled plant you saw may have been an offspring of that old codger, now since passed. I think that they grew out many seedlings from its acorns over the years, and as it declined someone probably took cuttings to graft so that identical genetics could be preserved.

I believe if you read about it, it was estimated to be over 400 years old.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

That might be my memory slipping. There was a large oak, but the sign did say sapling I didnt spot. Location was I70 eastbound rest area on a hilltop, near Frederic I think. It didnt give data VV. Strange tho- I distinctly wondered at spelling Wey, chuckl. Hmm, have removed pic from my cell of distant shot, but have it on another thread, yeah, here it is just a few old leaves. Not usually on east coast when plants green up. I loved Nashville a week or two back tho for the treetips colors so varied and redbuds full bloom against limestone hills.

Thumbnail by kittriana

Maybe there is also a Wey Oak somewhere, but I'd be real surprised. Maryland was pretty darn proud of their state tree. See this link to stories from the day it went down in 2002:

http://www.oglefamilyofmarylandandalliedfamilies.com/wye_oak_tree.htm

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

That is awesome, thank you. I shall trust instinct next time and picture that tree! 31' around. Huge

While we are still in the neighborhood of bloomin' maples, here are a couple images I took yesterday.

The first two are pics of Korean Maple (Acer pseudosieboldianum) flowers here at the Valley.

The second three are pics of Boxelder Maple (Acer negundo) flowers in Louisville.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Texas has Silver maples (and Red maples where they are away from the limestone caprock) and their flowers look more like your last 3 pics. They aren't as showy as the more northern ones. I like those too

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I don't care for Acer saccharinum, my next door neighbor has one. The branches seem brittle and the root mass is incredible. This Silver Maple tree has such a dense network of feeder roots it makes it very difficult to dig in my yard. Besides, it's not a particularly good looking tree, well not good looking enough to put up with it's bad habits anyway. It has a large broken vase type look.

I do like those blooms and thought the pink tinged samara's looked cool though.

Edited to strike the first paragraph from the record...

This message was edited Apr 3, 2016 3:11 PM

No need to take a plantist attitude about a species inappropriately sited.

Acer saccharinum is a plant of riparian zones, and produces its dense network of roots for very good purpose: to hold soils in place in those types of environments. Just because a human was unenlightened enough to put one in the front yard - dry, relatively speaking - is not the fault of the plant simply seeking to live.

I don't think I have it as a digital image, but if I were to show you what Silver Maple does in northern Wisconsin - you just might judge it more benevolently. In the land o' lakes region, this species would strike you much as would a mighty oak.

But maples can defend themselves. Here are a few more flowering favorites.

**Acer truncatum ssp. mono
**Acer truncatum 'XPL Red Leaf'
**Acer triflorum
**Acer nipponicum
**Acer capillipes

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Oh, those photos are cool! Especially Acer capillipes.

You're right VV, I'm going to trudge through the snow right now and give that tree a hug. Strike that previous comment from the record.

Is it "ca PILL i peas"?

I believe that is correct.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Mipii- your edit is VERY STRANJ. Has lines thru it!

It's like Zorro!

Mipii used the strike-through edit.

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to diediedie..."

Lol you guys :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.