Haworthia roots die...why??

Alfred, ME

Hi,
I have what I believe is Haworthia turgida. It will do well for awhile, then I see that it looks much less green, and on investigation I will find the roots are dead. If I take individual rosettes and remove the dead stuff, I can start a new pot- they will green up nicely and grow, but eventually the same thing happens again. I have various cacti and succulent plants, including what I think is H. reinwardtii or coarctata, plus another Haworthia that I haven't ID'd... I obviously can give appropriate care since they're not all doing this, it's just this one plant. Does anyone know what might be going on? Does this plant have some special need that I'm unaware of? Maybe it's a seasonal thing- I have some in a pot by itself, and some in a succulent dish garden, in which everyone else is happy; in both locations this Haworthia is doing the same thing. Ideas??

Thumbnail by ccrowley Thumbnail by ccrowley
Decatur, GA

My guess would be too much moisture for the growing conditions. Many succulents need little to no water in the winter. If you have a cool environment and short days (I'm thinking Maine here) your cactus/succulent gardens will need very little water except during the growing season.
Repot in a very fast draining medium (1/2 perlite or equivalent). Only water when soil is dry.
Hope that helps.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Alfred, ME

That's what I don't understand- in the dish garden, for example, I did use a very fast-draining mix and everyone else in there is doing fine. I have no trouble with any of my other succulents, just this one Haworthia; and it does the same thing whether it's by itself or not, in plastic, in terra cotta... I'm starting to think it just doesn't like me;)

This message was edited Apr 19, 2016 8:29 AM

Redwood City, CA

I adopt the football team approach and eliminate poor performers. There are so many great succulents/cacti that I feel like losing one simply gives me the opportunity to find something better.

Decatur, GA

I agree. I have casualties and rarely replace them but try something else. As Illig1 points out there are tons to try. I've been know to say "so many plants, so little time"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.