Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

Pomegranate

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

My pomegranate has started to bloom. It only has 2 blooms so far. I bought this towards the end of last year. It is a large fruiting size bush. I have 2 other small pomegranate bushes. One is a russian pomegranate. Like I mentioned this is my first year with it fruiting. I know I must hand pollinate it, since I no longer see any honey bees. Does anyone have any suggestions for assuring fruit?

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I am glad that you started this thread.
I also planted 4 pomegranate plants 2 years ago.
I took a class at NHG and they told me to buy the variety "WONDERFUL" which it produces large size fruits and not the little balls.
This year I am having tons of huge red blossoms ...
Will they turn in to fruits?
I know that the fruits ripen in the fall ... humm

Wonderful is one of the varieties sold in supermarkets. I have 2 Wonderfuls. I so far have 2 blooms, I hope I get more. The nursery told me it was loaded with fruit when they got it, but the guy that was suppose to water it keep forgetting. That was OK with me because I got it at 60% off the Monrovia price tag. I go out to pollinate and the bloom is taking forever to open.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2016 5:53 PM

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

why do you have to pollinate by hand?
I have 4 bushes

No honey bees!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have 4 WONDERFUL Pomegranate plants.
Here what they looks right now.
I wonder if all of these flowers will turn into fruits ??
This will be their 2nd year in my garden.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor

Wow drthor they look great. I see more blooms coming out on my poms. There is no way for me to hand pollinate because the petals are so tight. They are self-fertile so they will fertilize themselves inside those tight blooms. dthor please post more pictures as they develop into fruit. I finally see a bloom on my russian pomegranate. I will prune when the time comes. I will check on the internet to when to prune. The fruit grows on new growth, so I will do a good pruning.

drthor, do you have any fruit developing? I have loads of blooms but can not hand pollinate them. The petals are so tight I don't see how anything can pollinate them.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

not yet
All the blooms did dry out and now they are on the ground ... sight ...
I have not problems with pollinators here.
Let's wait and see what it will happen.
The fruit is normally ready in the fall. Maybe they will bloom again ...

Are your petals as tight as the petals on my plant? I don't see how a bee could get through the petals. I tried to pull the petals apart to see the pistil and could not see it.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

yes, just like yours ...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

no pomegranate fruits this year either

drthor, did your pomegranate bloom this year? I did not get any blooms this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.