Dumpster Diving Again

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Not exactly, but found this cool door on a pile of curbside debris. I want to put a mirror in the open part and hang it on the exterior wall of my cottage. It would be in a deeply overhung spot, outside my bedroom, that you walk by on the wsy to the garden. Thinking it would be neat to see your image in an unexpected setting. Hopefully you can see the cool bell knob in the second photo.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Englewood, FL

Wow, great find Maypop, superb patina, sometimes things just fall into your lap, are you going to do some repair or leave it as is ?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Perfect!

Thanks! I'll leave it as is except for the mirror. The left side is very deteriorated and the upper part on the back is badly warped at the join. It reminded me of those lovely gypsy wagons that are being recreated as tiny houses. Have you seen them? Now thats a great project for you!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Love that door, what an exciting find. Haven't found anything in quite some time and haven't done any new projects. Getting ready for plant sales now.

Decatur, GA

Nice find. I'm a fan of curbside shopping. Found treasures in the past.
How tempting to put something on the old wood to keep it from deteriorating. Maybe some of that wood hardener stuff for dry rot. I don't think it changes the color. But probably you have already considered doing some kind of preservation.
Will it remain outside?

I am over malls myself. So hard to find real bargains these days. :>)

Helen, thinking of you while loading a falling apart teak glider into the car. Was on my way home from visiting a friend who lives behind the CDC. We hauled it up to Maypop. Not sure if its future is an ornamental slow rot covered in vines or refurbishment. I'll try for pics my next trip up. The door will remain outside. It's under a four foot overhang. There's never any moisture there unless the weather is tornadic.

Happ, I don't do plant sales but have a sizable kitchen garden that makes many T to T dreams just that.

One more for the road (literally). A cast away glider from a midtown curb has found a home supporting a peacock fern at Maypop cottage. It is under the same deep overhang and deck as the salvaged door above. I expect both to have many years of life with little or no work on my part.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Decatur, GA

Well done Laurel. The glider looks perfect in that spot.

Thanks! I'd like to say it will get rebuilt as a bench seat but it's way down on the to do list.

Decatur, GA

Oh heck don't bother to rebuild it, just let the vines grow all over it and/or put flower pots on it. Or something like the picture. Kind of a hoot don't you think?

Thumbnail by helenchild

Definitely has the ambiance suited to the neighborhood. Something taxidermied would fit in well too.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Laurel, your garden art and mine are much the same style..love the bench, yet I'd plant some vines and let them take over the rest of the bench.

Door is spectacular, if not a mirror then maybe a nice piece of garden art as the focus..

I'm looking for old two chairs, this project keeps calling my name

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Betty, I've seen pics of two chair benches and love the idea! So novel. Good luck in your search. We co-opted a bench seat in our vestibule from a children's headboard here at Maypop. The seat slats are made from a neighbor's discarded chestnut window sills. I made cushions with a sunflower motif. It's another case of layers of peeling paint that looks perfect without intervention. We made it on the high side to accomodate putting on and taking off shoes what with all the traffic to and from the garden.

It would be a challenge to landscape the frail glidder. The deep overhang makes for a rather dark, dry spot. That particular fern handles those conditions. I could do self watering pots on or under. It would have to be low maintenance since we are here part time.

Englewood, FL

Bettypause, I love that bench, a different pitch on the normal 2 chair bench.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Be an easy project if I can find the chairs..have to start going to garage sales..have the perfect spot for it

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

LOVE the door and Betty, that 2 chair project is so CUTE!

Thanks, Pat. No projects for me 'til the kitchen garden is in. Big push this coming week, some the next and then maybe time for projects.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Like Laurel, getting gardens into shape..mega work
Once done I will start looking for the chairs

The kitchen veggie garden is a priority at Maypop but we've not been slacking in Atlanta. We've had one failed attempt at stopping our concrete pond from leaking. The shape won't support a liner so back to the drawing board. Looks great but is down several inches a day. (:< I want to use freeze-proof tile.

I've torn out the out of hand loropetalum that took over the raised planters. Worse than the space eating factor, the landscape service insisted on pruning it to look like a mushroom. Really hideous. The youthful person is DD helping with clean up of a dead tree.

And then there's the rotten decking. My honey has been replacing cedar decking for a year. That's my thread "Don't Throw Out That Deck!". Gee, hardly any time to poke around dumpsters these days. The last photo includes new decking and tomatoes/eggplants/peppers headed to Maypop for planting out this week. Many sage quotes about life come to mind.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

BEAUTIFUL place!

Victoria Harbour, ON

You have a gorgeous place Laurel, your 'Garden of Eden'
I can appreciate the amount of time and energy it is taking you and your sweetie to get it to look so inviting..

Just spent 1 1/2 hrs out with skitter, cleared a side of the pond and needed to transplant shrubs/flowers...you go out to do one thing and a zillion more come to mind.

I won't get color for another month or so but Lordy all the greens are ouch..first time these year I walked the gardens and thought what a bit of heaven!

I want to get creative as well Laurel..next time in town I will pick up supplies for free standing water feature, no, not for me but several girls would love to make one, Sooo much to do, but soon we will enjoy our gardens and sit and enjoy..would love to have a garden party this summer, would mean I must dumpster dive and find a few garden treasures..

Of all my garden art treasure, I think I enjoy my bowling ball covered in shiny pennies as much as any of them!
"you go out to do one thing and a zillion more come to mind" if I'm lucky I'll finish what I went out for before the ADD kicks in! LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

I burst out laughing at that Pat..

Still trying to drum up enough energy to get supplies to do a trial. Cement column water feature..wouldn't take that long to do, longer. To talk myself into it 😏

I would love a big basalt column water feature... never gonna happen. I can't afford it!

Victoria Harbour, ON

You could make them out of cement Pat

They're renovating the Parthenon. Maybe some good columns in the dumpster in Athens though you'll have to settle for marble. Quick, tell your SO you need to go to Greece. :)

I should do a dumpster tour of Maypop. We decided when we got this place it would be a design on a dime, DIY, recycle, repurpose place. Considering it had been abandoned and foreclosed for years and we started with no heat, no functional kitchen and buckets to catch the roof leaks we've come a long way. Oh yes and I stepped through both rotten bathroom floors. But the worst was the resident wild life...squirrels, mice, snakes, possums and a chimmney/wall full of bees that swarmed every spring. They came down the chimney and walls into the basement and through the electrical outlets. Sometimes, if it happened when we were not here, tens of thousands of dead bees were piled against the windows and on the floors. Strange smell like hay. Pretty terrifying if we were here but we could open doors and windows and they would leave.

Pat, I did a bowling ball with glass blobs that I'm very fond of too.

Atlanta may be a Garden of Eden while Maypop is a Garden of Eatin'. And I almost forgot...there's another dumpster dive in the photos. DD gets credit for the colorful hanging object. She scavanged plastic bottles from the recycling center dumpster and used random acrylic paint colors. Then she cut the various types and sizes into spirals. Maybe you're familiar with the glass artist Chihuly, whose work is often featured in botanic gardens? Well, we call it our Chihul'E since her name and my GS's starts with "E".

Victoria Harbour, ON

Laurel, I'm in love with Maypop..
So love the feel of the place, don't think I'd want to leave it!
How many acres is it?

Meant to add, love the art..

This message was edited Jun 1, 2016 6:47 PM

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

A very interesting "Dumpster Diving Again" thread☺☺☺☺

Love it ♥

I love repurposed garden art!

Thanks, Brenda!

Pat, as Helen mentioned, curbside shopping has a fan base. Two more dumpster dives...

We rescue food for redistribution at different stores and deliver to various community pantries and shelters. One day we had a Costco pick up to go to St. Vincent de Paul. While unloading the food donation I spied a pile of baskets in their dumpster. They are very useful for picking produce and flowers from our garden. So I got permission before diving and came home with a whole load. Most live on top of the fridge. Others hang from ceiling beams.

Another time, I visited a friend to check on her house remodeling. There was a big dumpster in her driveway. She was already saving windows, doors, sinks and more for me (that's for my salvage house plan). As I was leaving I noted a wicker chair peaking above the top of the dumpster. I asked her about the chair and she said it wasn't hers but people kept driving by and throwing stuff in her dumpster. She didn't want the chair. It was pretty banged up but a coat of paint did the trick. And then I recalled a custom cushion, white on white cotton, in my attic for years that the furniture company missized and told me to keep. It fit the chair perfectly! Now chair and cushion live happily ever after at Maypop.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Love the chair, couldn't be better displayed!

When I look at your baskets, hypertufa planters come to mind

Betty, missed your question about Maypop's size. It's about seventeen acres/little less than seven hectares. That includes a half acre stocked pond. All but around two acres surrounding the house and kitchen garden are wooded with hiking/riding trails. We no longer have horses. (:<

Hypertufa seems like an interesting craft but I've honestly sworn off spreading myself any thinner. I have a fantasy about tearing down our deteriorating tractor and horse trailer shed and then building a new, low ceilinged shed below with a guest house built from salvaged materials above. My magnum opus to junking as I've got most of the materials stored here on the property. I've designed all our homes and, along with SO, we've done much of the work. We don't work together but each have our specialties and help where needed. Sounds idyllic? No. We bicker and I am known to loose it often. My way is the right way and I remind him he said for better or worse.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You are just too cute! I'm sure he gets a chuckle out of your outbursts.
Large piece of land, big sigh thinking of how much work it is..hats off to you and your sweetie!

I LOVE your salvaged items! It feels good to recycle the stuff doesn't it?

I think the funniest thing I salvaged was a HUGE post that was about 12 long and about 8 x 8 with cross beams on it. It was a pile on a truck headed to the dump when spied it. The driver happened to pull in at the store and I approached him about dropping that off at MY house (just around the corner) and he did! The park manager of the senior park we were living at had a FIT! I quickly disassembled it and dug a huge hole, got help and set it upright. My plans were to have a BIG bird house on top as garden art.

Victoria Harbour, ON

And did you end up making it? Or what happened to the beam?

I hired a guy to make the birdhouse but he kept having excuses and when he finally got his tools etc, I knew I was moving so I didn't go forward with the purchase, I canceled my request.

Even so, I looked the look of that BIG post upright in my garden bed, painted white. Don't know why, just did LOL. I don't remember how I used the beam portion, it was the post that I was hot to get!

I was so grateful to move away from that park manager, he was obnoxious and could not tolerate anything that didn't match his tastes. He thought my painted kitchen chairs with the pots in the seat were "garbage and needed to be throw out" of course that would have included my painted wooden ladders etc... When he cut down the neighbors Morning glory when it was full bloom because it hung over on the park side of the chain link fence I cried.

Victoria Harbour, ON

He sounded like quite the character Pat, as you say, was time to leave!

I put a 4x4 about 8 ft tall and did a few bird houses..when you started to talk about your idea I went to check and boy do they need a paint job..see, without knowing it you likely gave me another day of work..drats

Pat, have you seen Ifantails creations? Beautiful and in every direction. Yes it does feel great to repurpose. Too often I'm having a creative interlude and other times I'm flat out to lunch. Here are but a few weathered bird houses at Maypop's entry made from scrap wood and gutter flashing The arbor will soon be covered in hyacinth beans. Mostly bluebirds for two rounds of babies but also wrens.

SO makes beautiful birdhouses. We have three on display inside the Atlanta house. They are based on historic structures, near Maypop, in the Appalachian foothills that were going to the ground. He wanted to memorialize old country homes, barns, churches, etc.. He's done numerous commissioed houses based on interests. Lots of people want houses for their bird friends that looks like their house!

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Yea, he was pretty awful. He was replaced couple years after we left.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.