Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't see a Coyote forum, so I'm not sure where to post this. I don't know anything about coyotes but I presume that's what this guy is? Can anyone confirm? I've seen him a couple days a week for the past month. Today after a big bad thunderstorm, he took shelter in a covered nook next to my kitchen, where he posed for a few pictures. I have had fewer bunnies and maybe even fewer deer since he's taken up residence. So might want him to keep hanging around.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow! Fewer cats in the neighborhood too maybe?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Definitely. Fortunately, we don't have a chihuahua either.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Lol, that is fortunate you don't have a Chihuahua, did you have to look up the spelling on that one? I would have if you already didn't have it all spelled out for me. Feed him and he'll hang around, pretty darn cute. Imagine solving all your Deer problems with one small canine.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Nice to see, but definitely don't feed it - if it comes to associate people with food, it could mean big trouble in the future, when it decides it can start taking food by force from little old ladies carrying their shopping home . . .

Just let it deal with surplus deer :-)

Resin

Okay, words of wisdom from Resin..."Don't Feed the Animals"...got it.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Rather than have a Coyote around, I'd choose to get a big dog. Just saying.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Trust me, Birder, I've considered getting a dog for the primary purpose of deer control. Of course, in my mind it's a vicious protector of the property but in my wife's eye it's a fluffy little lap dog. Which is why we still don't have a dog...

That's a simple fix Wee...get one of each.

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

We have a den of nine coyotes that live in the ravine across the alley from us. I love watching them. I rarely see rodents or raccoon around here. They sometimes lounge on the lawn of the sunny yard across from me. They are disinclined to bother my fox terrier who likes to bark at them and chase them off, but I do occasionally see missing kitty posters around. : ( So far they have not bothered my chickens either, who roam free in a semi-enclosed area.

I love seeing them around. They make me feel like I'm living in the country, right here in the city. It is important to never feed them and if you dislike how close they come to the house, you can yell at them or toss a few rocks in their direction and they generally keep their distance.

Your photos look like he is just a pup and may have lost his parents. Hopefully he has the skills to forage and survive on his own so he doesn't become a nuisance.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I also presume he's a pup, in fact, he couldn't even open his eyes I don't think. I don't know if that's typical of baby coyotes or if it's due to a medical condition. At any rate, we fairly often see what I presume are mom or dad roaming around also. I've never seen more than one at a time, so not sure how many there are.

He sure does look like a pup, I thought the closed eyes were just chance while his face was facing the sun. Awe...

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from 8zoner :
... but I do occasionally see missing kitty posters around.

There's also this :-)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/eagles-cat-livecam_us_5720ee8ae4b0f309baef5ed3

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Cats in the house. That's all I have to say about that!

No, wait, I recommend a big fluffy dog-There! That solves everything!! :-)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I feel very much like 8zoner.

I lived in a community with lots of coyotes for years from 1998 to 2011. I would see them while running on the trails. My signature moment was when a pack of five crossed through the gazebo at the front of my house at 4:30 in the morning. That was rare. I also found it incredibly cool. But I usually saw them as singletons.

They are not interested in people. They would run away from me. Most of their victims, in my community, were small dogs that had been left outside within electronic fences (I hate those things) which was a death sentence since there was no way the dog could escape and the coyotes could just come in for the kill. Every now and then they would get a goose (that may have been the owls).

The coyotes were far more interested in the rabbits and voles (for which they competed with the hawks and owls). I never saw a dead cat, and there were a number of them around for years. I also never heard any stories of their interaction with small children, and we had a really irritating community communication tool, so you heard about everything people rationally or irrationally feared (usually the latter).

I had spent all of my life in the city, so all of this was new to me. Having lived with them and interacted with them when I was alone, I found most peoples' terrified reaction to coyotes unjustified. I was much more worried about skunks, because sometimes I would run on the trails and run pretty close to them. Probably happened ten times. I would just stop in my tracks and then move backwards. There were always stories about dogs getting skunked because they moved forward.

And then there was the big possum that ambled up my back steps to the sun room because we were grilling marlin outside for guests. The guests loved it, and saw it as part of the entertainment for the evening. I found that possums tended to make their way through the community around my property because it was completely ringed with shrubs and they could be protected as they moved about. Sometimes when I came home the headlights of my car revealed their beady little eyes as they moved through.

Here I see possums and great blue herons, ducks and geese and bald eagles (the latter totally cool - they nest here!). But my favorite are the foxes (I live near the aptly named Fox River Trail), which I never had before because they and coyotes cannot coexist because, as I understand it, they want the same prey and the coyotes kill the foxes. Drivers here come to a complete halt when a fox runs into the street. Sometimes there will be a line of cars because they are so darned cute. Sometimes a fox will sit down on the side of the road and watch the crazy people.

I can't say that I miss the coyotes, because the foxes are cuter, but I do sort of miss the wildness.

Well thanks for all the great story and perspective additions to the topic. I've enjoyed reading about them.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay, from living in the real country. We have issues down here with rabies, distemper, and ticks. These arent inoculated, tho I heard of one county one year broadcasting pellets to fight the awful rabies outbreak. The pellets apparently were designed to attrack the woods animals and gave them protection.. i cannot find the article any longer and havent heard exactly all of the problem. Coyotes, just like dogs AND PEOPLE- get distemper and die. This disease is highly contagious and left behind in their slobber and anything they touch. I dont want to start a panic, but that coyote pup NEEDS the benefits of inoculations. Also, the coyotes in Calif get brave enough to attack people when food is scarce. Its been recorded where hikers were viciously attacked by packs. Call animal control and find a companion who adores you at a shelter ( no puppy training). PS- closed eyes indicates illness, also the gauntness shows a problem, mipii

This message was edited May 1, 2016 11:06 AM

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

Was just about to post when I read Kitt's post. She's said it all, and everything she said is right on the spot.
So all I will add is, that is NOT a picture of a healthy animal! ! It needs care for your protection as well as for itself. Don't hesitate, get help from animal control!
Vern (Rusty)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm sorry about all of your issues in Texas. The real country - OK. We don't have those issues here - possibly climate related - and other than some rabid skunks. I guess that's why my attitude toward wild creatures doesn't match yours. I wouldn't live in certain places where development has pushed dangerous creatures into contact with humans, as I read about in Colorado and California (mountain lions come to mind), but that's my choice, and I am sure that there are many reasons why you found your home desirable. One of the reasons I stay where the winters are cold is because it kills off a lot of stuff - diseases and insects are just two of them.

Oh, and we did have ticks, because we had deer. Had to stay out of the long grass, because people would come home bearing ticks and so would their dogs. We were fortunate enough never to have a critter that seemed to have distemper.

When ever an animal behaves in a manner that's weird (here, you knew something was wrong with a skunk that approached you).

Too bad. Conditions here were such that I could enjoy the wildlife, and I'm sorry that your conditions seem so difficult.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

They are simply a matter of fact. Illinois doesnt have quite as many acres in grasslands as the majority is farmlands. Farmers know when animals are sick, many of those sicknesses are still in the soil from certain animals. Not going into depth here. I love wildlife. I see it every day in the places I go. Dalles Sheep butted up into crevices in The Dalles in Oregon. Mountain Goats standing staring at you from a tall rock. Coyotes all across the states- and I notice when those coyotes and fox are keeping an eye anda long circle around Ill farmsteads, Ind farmsteads. An animal that size should have eyes open. Mountain lions trotting down the interstates in Tx, Nev, Mt, black bear on the east coast- Pa- WV, Wash. Eagles, wild turkeys, pheasants. Feral hogs in La, Fl Tx, Ms, Snakes that cross the roads for heat and vibrations of traffic, gators once crawled out on the highways and slept.
These arent problems to you because you Dont know they are there. You havent seen the sicknesses of the wild animals and had to learn You are also affected. You just turn your back and close the door. All is just a movie. It willgo away. The worms they carry from the fleas, from the ground and drinking water tapeworms, the distemper, rabies, blackleg and other viral infections such as Lymes, Niles, Zika make viewing wildlife just a trip to the zoo where everything can be put away and ignored when you go home and shut the door. Your childrens little bare feet, your pets, have a door to shut, magic bullet proof armor.
ALL wildlife faces everyday those diseases without armor, and dont play by your rules.
DonnaM. Seeing that SICK coyote is like seeing your flowers so very healthy then they wilt or get fungus and you KNOW they are sick. You KNOW what has to be done.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I see that this is something that really concerns you, which makes sense since you live there. I don't. I wouldn't.

I'm going to unlink from this thread.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.