What\'s Blooming #2

(Zone 4b)

Given the 9 page length of "What's Blooming #2" who is for starting a new thread ie "What's Blooming #3"?

This message was edited Aug 4, 2016 7:08 AM

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Mipii, your flowers are beautiful. Do you have any problems growing Echinacea Cheyenne Spirit? I had a plant and it struggled last last and eventually it bloomed but this year it began to dry up and then it died.It was planted in full sun near to a rose bush and lambs ear.Yes the Cheyenne puts out lovely flowers.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

O.K. - What's Blooming # 3
Robin, one plant 3 colors? Maybe that's what I had and just didn't know it. Beautiful brilliant colors - those flowers you posted. I don't have any chocolates - maybe I'll give that some thought. Sounds delicious.............

Here is what's blooming here. My pictures were taken just before dark last eve. It rained in the morn yesterday and it rained in the eve - so not much garden maintenance here - just picture taking.

#1 Here is the broomcorn reaching for the sky. Check out that cloud behind.
#2 My tuberoses are blooming in the South Garden, and oh that fragrance they give off about 7 p.m. each day. And there's the rabbit - I don't know where it came from.
#3 The magic lilies are blooming here.
#4 The celome is doing its thing.
#5 Zinnias in the North Garden late in the day after the rains.

Extremely hot and humid out there today - but the flowers seem to LOVE that way more than I do. Looking forward to less humid weather.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't ask for clean straw. I just feel kind of glad to get "straw"! I put the straw down by hand. It doesn't take long. I use the Preen and Straw where I know I don't necessarily want re-seeding. Some of my beds I police to keep them clean of weeds so I can get flowers to re-seed. The re-seeders are Larkspur, Annual Poppies and Siberian Wallflower. I also get a few of the heirloom petunias each season. They are so tough and bloom all season with no care.
We get Johnson Grass here and there--I don't think it particularly comes from the straw, however. I just try to keep an eye on it and pull it out before it develops rhizomes. We have lots of birds, and I am going to blame them! :) I have pulled out I'm guessing a hundred trees this year.
I did loose 1/2 of a mature Japanese Maple this year. My Co. Ext. agent said it was due to a really bad freeze we had in 2012? I can't remember which year. She said often Maples and Oaks don't show damage until a few years later. The JM is a mature tree, and I haven't decided what to do yet. I hate to pull it out and start over.
Echinacea 'Cheyenne Spirit" color really pops! A lot of times those unusual colored Echinaceas die out within a few years. I went to a Garden Seminar in Tn. recently (Brenda, you should go next year.) that if you cut the blooms off the first year and let the plant develop stronger roots, they will retain their colors better.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Good info Birder, thanks. My Cheyenne Spirit is in it's third year, no color waning yet...yay!

Brenda, who doesn't like chocolate for breakfast? I can send you some seeds if you like. Your gardens are such a treat to view with your massive amounts of everything! Your tuberose looks really good too, I can almost inhale the perfume...

(Zone 4b)

Quote from momlady :
The Alliums are so cool!

"Millenium" has now been in bloom in my neck of the woods for a week or so. It is nice to see alliums in bloom this time of year. This compact variety will not reseed.

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21

I agree Rouge, it's nice to see the Alliums in bloom and I've got a Garlic Chive that looks a lot like your Millenium, just not as many blooms per plant. I'm up for starting a new thread.

(Zone 4b)

Quoting:
I'm up for starting a new thread.

Good. So the next poster should be the one to start fresh.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2016 9:18 AM

Hi rouge21, that a nice idea how you planted the alliums in a cluster . This year I had 4 Giant ones planted close and they were having everyone stop to admire them in my front yard garden.I will planted a few medium size ones this fall in a cluster like yours . They are beautiful.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Rouge: Love your Alliums. Thanks for posting. How many did you plant "together" to get this effect? I notice you don't have anything planted around them to "cover up" the dying leaves they always tell you to do this. I'm wondering how it looked later. It sure looks nice in the picture.
cytf: How many of the large Alliums did you plant together? How far apart? Which ones were they?
They always tell you to plant them 6-8" apart. Maybe, that is what you guys did.

Hi birder17, I planted 4 giant alliums 8 to 10 inches apart in morning sun evening shade.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks cytf. I hope to try that this season.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Quote from rouge21 :
[quote="momlady"]The Alliums are so cool!

"Millenium" has now been in bloom in my neck of the woods for a week or so. It is nice to see alliums in bloom this time of year. This compact variety will not reseed.

Beautiful - Thanks for sharing pictures and info. You are a good ways to the north of me, so I'm thinking the air is a little more tolerable. Hope so!

(Zone 4b)

If it is okay with all of you I have continued this thread under the title:

What's Blooming #3

(might this take us to the end of the blooming season?)

Thanks for the new thread Rouge! For an easy access to it, here's the link;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1430066/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.