What\'s Blooming #2

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Love all the flower pictures.

Loretta - the dahlia with the red foliage, the white clematis with the tinge of purple - beautiful. And what really caught my eye was the lacy lacy columbines - awesome.
Your batchlor button with the black or deep blue at the base of the flower - nothing like what I have ever seen. Interesting.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice, Donna.
And Loretta, that bachelor button picture is great.
I presume you had to wait patiently for the ant to show up?

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Loretta,I have that dianthus for many years now, I brought from my other home and every year I deadhead them and cut them back .I just love them in the garden. I bought a couple to add to the Church Garden that hubby and I look after.My yellow Iris have not bloomed yet because I thinned them off two years ago and transplanted them in another spot but only got one bloom last year. One of my girl friends told me them they do not like their feet cover so I have to check them and remove soil of their feet. Lol .I planted Bachelor Buttons last year at the Church Garden and they reseeded so much and I had to thin them out so they can look beautiful .They are such a nice blue color.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone!
The Bachelor Buttons - that's Centaurea montana does reseed but I just let it go since there is a lot of competition in my yard. (And the ant was just an added bonus).

Cytf, I find that iris do tend to bring themselves to the top of the soil even though I originally planted them deeper. Maybe that's why some of them took so long to bloom.

Beautiful peony, Donna! I love peonies. I wish they lasted longer. At least they leave nice foliage behind!

This message was edited May 29, 2016 10:59 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

A surprise. I ordered three red peonies and got three Edulis Superba. I installed it without giving much thought to location. But now I have Edulis Superba next to second year rose (thornless!) Kathleen Harrop and blue nepeta in the background, salvia Mainacht to one side and I love it!

(Word to the wise - take over your parkway!)

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ahh - Kathleen Harrop is my biggest regret that I never forget. I had it in my hands and put it back!
Donna, I can see why you love it but you have to explain to me "take over your parkway." Is that a comment on the size of the rosebush?

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm interested to hear the reply from Donna. I'll have to keep my eyes open for Kathleen Harrop (being Loretta's biggest regret).

I've been out early this morn to check out "What's Blooming" and this is the best I can do. It is really wet out there and the grass is getting tall and I need to be picking up sticks and pulling weeds. hummmmm. ... and here I sit.

I really like the Helen Von Stein Lamb's Ear (my favorite of the lamb's ear) in the second picture. It took me years to get Nigellia (third picture) to grow and now it readily reseeds - YipPee! I still have plenty of poppies and the larkspurs are just starting to bloom (pix 4), and pix 5 is my Showgun Iris - it was a freebie and I love it. The photo isn't the best, as I would have probably have had to get my feet really wet to get a better picture.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

These are all beautiful flower pictures, everyone. Keep 'em coming!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I had Zephirine Drouhin at my former house and was trying to order it again. It was available, but Harrop was suggested. I also recently reacquired Zephirine.

I am in zone 5a, and amillion years ago a rosarian in St. Loius said that I should acquire Zeph, which is advertised as a zone 6 rose. He told me to ignore the reviews and buy it. It was smashing!

But Loretta, Brenda, if anything Kathleen is better! A softer pink, and just as vigorous and thornless. It's a must. Grab it.

My favorite thing about these two roses is a marked tendency to grow up and then bend over. They form a fountain without being pegged. What does this mean? It means ridiculous floriferousness.

People peg roses (attach stem tips to the ground) because it fools the rose into thinking that there are many "tops" to the plant. Hybrid teas produce one flower per stem because the stems are straight and there is a "top". If you look at the way the rose bends, it thinks there are lots of tops, so it blooms all up and down the stem, and you get a fountain of bloom.

If your community will let you, you can grow plants across the sidewalk from your house, on the lawn, which we refer to as a parkway. As I ran around the community, I noticed that lots of people were doing it, sometimes with really awful plant material (read largely weeds). A funny think happens when you put big plants on what was just grass. I discovered this when I had a ten foot easement along my former property. If there is an expanse of grass and trees are present (like my neighbor) people will lead their dogs right onto it, and the little babies lift their legs at every tree. But for some reason, once you put plants on the parkway, it stops. I found one piece of - lets call them dog gifts - all last year. My neighbor with the grass and the trees gets daily presents.

Also, the more plants (and less grass) you have on your parkway, the fewer weeds you have. I did acquire anionic weed whacker to get around plants. It's fun, because it freaks out the neighbors. Look at the crazy woman with the snow blower, the lawn mower, the weed whacker and the garden that she maintains herself!!! Scary! What else is she capable of?

On the other hand, delightful people stop by. A gentleman and his wife were going by when I was about to mow my lawn, and he made a suggestion for getting some twine and wrapping things up. I had done this before but had forgotten. I got some twine, and he insisted in wrapping up my thorny rose for me. I was so pleased I cut my best Festiva Maxima bloom for his wife, who was completely charmed.

Here is a picture of Zeph at my former home. This is its habit if you grow it as a shrub rather than a climber.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's a happy ZD, Donna! I do have a smaller Zeph on a trellis and it is in full bloom now. It looks great but the Asiatic Garden Beetles are coming any day to ruin all of my roses. I keep checking at night and have found a couple of early birds. Already the rose slugs are here.
I regret not buying KH because it is thornless. I have been debating myself every year to pull out all my roses and go with only thornless varieties. I suffer from THORN RAGE! I HATE thorns!!! They grab my hair, clothes and stop me from moving until I get lose. Its like when my brothers and I were little and we would tap each other on the head just to drive the other one crazy! But I love the flowers and so I have yet to rip them all out. Actually every time I rip one out, I ended up putting it back somewhere else. Right now, many of my roses are in an undeveloped holding area and they are doing a lot better there.
Brenda, you reminded me that I bought a pack of nigella. I'm going to throw it around! Hope they look half as good as yours! And that Lambs Ear is gorgeous! I think I might have to try that again.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hear the shriek of delight? A peony I've been trying to reacquire for the last two years (I was sent incorrect ones) Bloomed today and I am sure. It is Mrs. FDR!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That is one I've always admired! Congratulations!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you Loretta. There is always joy in reacquiring a plant that was like an old friend.

Ah, japanese beetles. I used milky spore years ago and it knocked them back by 95%. The previous owner of this house used it too, but there is apparently a new generation of beetles that survived it and came back.

Every spring when I am digging and planting I check for grubs (crushing them as I go along). I have never seen as many as I used to see at my former home - at one point several per square foot - so I can tell how bad the year will be by my grub count. Getting my bowl of soapy water ready!

(Zone 4b)

We have two "Fair Maids of France" (Ranunculus aconitifolius 'Flore Pleno'). Each is only now a couple of seasons in the garden so I am still expecting they will get larger. I do like the double white flowers. Here it is today:

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
(Zone 4b)

Accidentally posted the same photo twice in the previous post....not sure how to remove pictures when in Edit mode :(.

Thumbnail by rouge21
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Pretty "Fair Maids of France" - interesting.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very nice! It reminds me of Anemone nemorosa. I don't think I've come across that one. It seems to behave for you.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Rose Kathleen Harrop approaching full bloom

First blooms on Glamis Castle, an older Austin rose

First flowers on Constance Spry, the first Austin rose

Rose Marie Pavie (an old polyantha and forerunner of today's groundcovers)

An unknown nepeta (I was shipped the wrong one, but it's great!) with Constance Spry and miscanthus graziella coming up to the left. When it comes to miscanthus, I had trouble reestablishing Morning Light, and Huron Sunrise died out, but my five graziella are batting 1000 here. It had been called the best miscanthus for northern gardens.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Hi DonnaMack your roses are beautiful, and also your Peony.One of my Peony did not bloom at all ,I think its because it got over crowed by the roots of black eyed Susan or maybe the landscaper must have spilled lawn fertilizer on it ,I fed all of them and just this one had problems.This is my Karl Rosenfield Peony. Love my dianthus I tuck them in everywhere.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf

My giant Alliums are really making a statement in my front yard,they are having lots of admirers.

Thumbnail by cytf
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

LOVE your Karl. Really beautiful. I have been adding reds to my collection - Kansas (well Kansas was sent my mistake), Burma Joy (ordered 3 Burma Midnights and got 3 Edulis Superba), Paul M . Wild and my newest Philippe Rivoire.

If a peony doesn't perform I move it to less conspicuous location. Oddly enough, it tends to bloom in that less conspicuous location, and then I move it back!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Roses, peony and allium - all soooo pretty.

(Zone 4b)

It seems to behave for you

For sure. And in fact this particular 'Flore Pleno' is so well behaved that it goes dormant at some point in the summer!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

In fact, I can affirm it's good manners by the fact that I can't keep it alive!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Loretta and Brenda.

I should mention that my Kathleen Harrop is only two years old.

Here it is when it arrived on May 1, 2014. It's on the left.

Here it is today: 2nd and 3rd pictures.

Source? Roses Unlimited. My Constance Spry and Madame Hardy have exploded the same way.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Spectacular blooms, gardens and pictures all. I love it when I get behind and can ogle so many blooms in one sitting!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ogleing blooms! LOL!

Yes in a shameful, shallow way. I only want them for their beauty...

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I took a yard survey last weekend - a little slow to get them posted.
Here's what's blooming around here.
#1 Lily martagon Arabian Knight
#2 Spigelia marilandica just getting started
#3 Meconopsis cambrica - just a youngster, but survived over past year in a pot to improve drainage.
#4 Bletilla striata Kate.
#5 Epipactis 'Sabina', a ground orchid which is 2 years old planted in a partial shade woodland situation, just blooming for the first time this year. Blooms are a little puny so far, but it's much bigger than last year, so I have hope it might evolve into an interesting plant.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lovely! Congratulations on your Epipactis bloom, WR.

Donna, that is amazing your KH is only two years old. I've always heard good things about Roses Unlimited but I really can't get any more roses.

1. Raspberry Clown Peony is starting to open among scutellaria altissima (don't ever plant that stuff).

2. clematis rooguchi

3. Another clem that I forgot the name

4. Elderberry Black Lace

5. Bayses Purple

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Alchemist
2. Alchemist again because it is just so incredible.
3. This one finally bloomed before it was munched on. Not sure which one it is anymore.
4. Buff Beauty took a hit last year but survives!
5. A more open bloom of Lillian Austin

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

WEE, what great plants! Always something I have never seen. I was eyeballing bletilla in the Brent and Becky catalogs. I've never heard of Epipactis! Way cool! You have such an interesting garden.

And speaking of acquisitions I have eyeballed, Loretta, your clematis (interesting - also in the B&B catalog). I love your roses. I have never known anyone who grew Alchemist. I considered it, along with Buff Beauty. You have great taste (hey, it's just like mine - LOL!)

The roses I have been acquiring are quite small. There is a white sport of Morden Blush. A new red Canadian Rose called Navy Lady. I took my last truly open space and put bourbon Rose Louise Odier there. Last big one.

When peonies don't bloom for me or they have been misidentified and I don't like them I move them to a sunny spot in my back yard. If I find that they have been correctly sent I move them back. I company sent me a rose that supposed to be Mrs. FDR but wasn't. But another one turned out to be true to form so I moved it back to the front, and it bloomed. I find that if a peony is young enough, you can move it and it will actually come back bigger. Three years seems to work. And it gives you chance to redo the planting if it didn't bloom at all. Three that didn't bloom at all last year bloomed this year.

But there is another I threw to the back because it didn't bloom and now I am sure that it is Phillippe Revoire. So it's going back to the front.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice selection, Donna! I LOVE every rose you mentioned and that FDR peony is as pretty as any Austin Rose! I wish my neighbors would grow some of them so I can at least oogle when I walk the dog. Everyone grows Knockout now - which is pretty but you know we like a little more plant entertainment here.

Wee, I've always admired that Arabian Knight lily but I always delay and they are always sold out by the time I decide to order something.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's amazing how a few Austins are like peonies. Jude the Obscure. I was sent it by mistake and it develops very slowly but wow is it gorgeous and the scent is truly that of tropical fruit!

It does have several buds. It's hiding behind The Dark Lady and an allium cridtophii in this pic. Some geranium Bevan's Variety too. I find roses do really well when I grow them with things like parsley, nepeta, alliums and geraniums. I think it's the beneficial insects as well as the shading at the ground.

The third pic is Madame Hardy. An old garden rose from 1832. Named for the hybridizer's wife - it's that good. It only blooms once, but that means that it throws out about 1,000 flowers in six to eight weeks, and then retires to beautiful foliage (and low maintenance - Yes!

And lastly, the bountiful Marie Pavie. This is two. Nearly thornless, beautiful scent, and bloom in clusters for easy deadheading - and zone 4!

And allium christophii saying "hey!" They seed, so I never know where they will pop up, like behind Marie Pavie in picture four. I didn't plant them! They seeded! (They have pretty good taste about location).

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey, Momlady, going back through this thread, I realize that I didn't answer your question about allium Christophii. They stay in bloom for weeks. Then they dry and stay in place for a few weeks more. And if you don't deadhead them, they seed and a couple of years later you have more. Which is great because they are $1 a pop. I then take the small plants and move them around the garden. The small rootball means no disturbance to other plants. That can be important. Climbing nasturtiums actually killed some of my perennials by smothering them, and nicotiana alata has a BIG rootball that disturbs other plants. Whereas verbena bonariensis can be allowed to come up anywhere because it has a small rootball.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Again, all beautiful! I did have Jude the Obscure but unfortunately she didn't survive a transplant.Love Mdm Hardy!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Weerobin - Love your flowers and YES, now I want a martogon lily for sure. I wanted a start of the martogon anyhow, but thought it would take a few years to get them to bloom - so I backed away? I didn't want the wait. . . . The orchid blooms are so dainty.

Loretta - Lovely Lovely peony bloom. Enjoying all flower pixs. Such a sweet purple clematis cap bloom. Must be a fairies hat - you must have a fairy in the garden somewhere. I enjoy the elderberry blossoms and mine (not the burgundy leaf - just native and planted by the birds) will soon be blooming.

Donna - You definitely have a green thumb when it comes to your roses. Pretty! That was great info on the Allium Chistophii - I have made a note and perhaps I can acquire that particular allium and give it a try sometime. What I really liked was the fact that it reseeds.

I've been out this morn and it was really wet out there. Came in and took the shoes and wet socks off and here I sit getting a better education on this thread. Here are my today's blooms:

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654

Beautiful gardens and pics everyone! Do any of you recognize this Peony, it belongs to my neighbor? It's got the slightest white tips on the petals.

Thumbnail by Mipii

Hi Mipii, I think it looks like Karl Rosenfield .I have a picture of mine in a previous post .

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I went out to take more pictures and something is eating my plants. one of my very large coleus was completely gone my stella de ora daylilies were eaten down to the soil. A few other plants were eaten. I have never had this happen in 26 years. I have always had chipmunks and a couple of rabbits roaming around, but they have never eaten my flowering plants. Does anyone have any ideas what could be doing this.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.