Bad Birdbath!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I purchased a beautiful royal blue ceramic birdbath. It's about 30" wide and 3" deep. I pictured the bluebirds and their babies all frolicking together in this nice wide, acceptably shallow birdbath. What I didn't think about was how slick this birdbath is. Occasionally, I see a mockingbird getting a drink, but mostly I attract mosquitoes. :-(
I've cleaned this bath. I've put rocks in it to make it more shallow. I bought slabs of slate to make it shallow and to offer a rougher surface. Nothing has worked. I could put gravel on the bottom and "try" that to see if birds would use it. Unfortunately, that would be a real mess to clean.
Now, I'm out of ideas. I'm ready to get rid of it even though it's a beautiful blue ornamental birdbath. I could leave it just for ornamentation, however, it's difficult to clean as it's 30" across and heavy to empty. If it's left for ornamental value, it has to be kept free of mosquitoes on a pretty regular basis. I thought about flowers in it, but there's no drainage.
So, what to do? What to do?

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I saw an idea yesterday at a garden center. They had sand in the bottom of their birdbath? For what it's worth. If that doesn't work, I would just use a larger rock instead of several small ones - sometimes I do that. Sounds like a beautiful accent to a garden.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I was thinking you could cover the top surface with glued on rocks, but I doubt you could find a glue that would clearly be safe. Maybe aquarium cement, but it is not made for cold and heat so I don't think it would be durable. That way the outside could remain blue, but where they land and walk into the water would have a grip for them. I don't think just putting sand in there would work, as they need a non-slip surface on the edge.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Try using some sandpaper to roughen up the surface a bit?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I don't think sand would work. It would be heavy and too hard to clean.
There's probably some sort of glue that's waterproof, but I'm not sure to find one "safe" for the birds.
I tried some pretty big flat rocks (slate), and there were no takers.
I'm wondering if the sand may ruin the looks of the birdbath. But then, hey, no one is using it. Maybe, I could find something to color the cement the same color. I don't know. It sounds like a mess.
I've thought of putting a "thin" coat of cement on the bottom and would have to be around the edges as well. Again, that would ruin the looks of it.
You would think big, flat rocks would do the trick. Picky birds!

I do thank all of you for your suggestions and trying to help me make this birdbath usable.

Beverly Hills, CA

Nice! Thanks for the information...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.