The Vermon

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

This is what the vermon are doing to my vegetables. They will only eat a small portion of the tomatoes. They have eaten every one of my yellow squash.

Thumbnail by weeding
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

im guessing the wasteful squirrels? boggles my mind why they just take a couple bites out of something, toss it and grab a new one

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

In our garden the raccoons and possums do that. They pretty much leave the squash alone but will hit the melons all the time to the point I don't even try to grow them anymore. We set traps as soon as the tomatoes start to get ripe and catch most of them. Bait is dry dog food. The other night we caught....a cat. We're in a rural area, have a fence, and I'm surprised the wild dogs or coyotes haven't caught the cat.

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I've been using coyote urine to control the wild critters. Of course it won't work with coyotes!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

We had a lot of that last summer. We caught a coon and a possum.
We also have squirrels, but I think for us, it was one or both of the above.
I told hubby he needs to set the trap now!

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I had that problem last year with my tomatoes, but seem to have solved it this year. Somebody told me about this and it seems to work: I bought a black-and-white banded rubber snake (almost all animals only see in shades of black and white: no colors) and move it to a new position every day @ am watering (so the varmints don't get used to seeing it and ignore the "threat").

It cost me $1 at the Dollar store. I've had it hanging on bottom branches, draped over a ripening fruit, tail buried in the ground and squiggling around close to my plants (this one seldom; just for the surprise" factor). This worked on some two-legged varmints, too: vacationing school children avoid my tempting tomatoes and even an adult guest thought it was real and called out a panicked warning when I went to pick some tomatoes for her (now THAT was kinda funny).

I live in a small town, near state & federal national forests (better known: Smoky Mountain National Forest). Squirrels are rampant, especially the locally popular white squirrels (Snort: discrimination is illegal. . varmints are varmints!!). The song birds don't bother my tomatoes, but big, black birds (they travel in packs) also get in on the act of pillaging my tomatoes (last year I even tried glue traps, but "caught" only a bunch of feathers and the destruction continued).

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I have 2 rubber snakes and I do keep moving them, but they don't seem to deter the 4-legged critters. They do sneak up on me on occasion when I forget where I put them!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I went to a Garden Seminar a couple of weeks ago. They had a booth for pests and diseases. I asked them about the big bites out of my large green tomatoes. They thought it was deer and suggested I put up an electric fence around the tomatoes: one low and one wire up higher. Well, today, we ate our first ripe tomato. We think it must be deer.
Prior to asking these professionals, we had put up a trap to catch something. All we caught was a feral cat twice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images