Refrigerate Yeast Dough

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have trouble with my yeast dough forming a " skin" when I put it in the refrigerator overnight.
I have used a Tupperware cake holder but the dough on the surface was dry. I've looked into yeast dough rising containers but have read they can collect too much gas and be a little dangerous when taking the lid off.
What do you do to keep this from happening?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The skin does not affect anything. In fact it helps hold in the gas and allows the gluten to stretch without releasing all the gas. You are punching and reshaping for a second rise? Each rise produces new skin which ultimately creates the texture of the crust.

I seal sourdough mother, sponges and doughs for overnight rises. The top might unseal with lots of rise. It usually only bulges slightly. When feeding sourdough at room temp I place a lid on top but don't seal because fermentation is much faster. After forty odd years of fermenting grains "dangerous" sounds extreme. I have placed a damp dish towel under the lid for certain yeasted pasteries.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing, but probably. The "skin" on the surface of the dough is hard. It won't rise because the hard skin will not allow any elasticity. If I kneaded this into the dough, I would have a streak of dough that would have no texture. I'm not trying to argue with you about this. I just can't see how the surface would be any good.

I read on King Arthur a gal who had a professional rising bucket she had purchased from King Arthur. She set it on her glass cooktop, when she opened the lid, it broke her cooktop. There were other comments but that was the most severe.

What brand of flour do you use for "seeded" bread recipes? I make the "Sourdough Multi Grain Boule" in the King Arthur website. It's really good. I get mixed results. I think it depends on which flour I use.

Various mixes of King Arthur flours are my go to for boules but I've recently been mixing KA with Isis Biodynamic whole wheat. The Isis is almost as course as grits so it gives a really nice tooth. I use Italian tipo which is a "OO" grind for pizza and pasta. It's only available in specialty shops or online since it's imported. In a pinch I make a mix of KA AP (70) and White Lily ( 30) as a tipo substitute. I generally use weights and not cup measurments to determine proper % hydration.

I am only an expert in my own kitchen. :) However, my most immediate guess is the hydration is too low for the amount of flour. Put another way, there's too much flour in the dough. Are you kneading by hand? Here are some suggestions with the first and most important being to add more water by only one or two tablespoons each time. Using cup measures is very inexact compared to weight %. There are specific weight percentages of fluid to flour that are ideal for various risen doughs. Even using the same flour and recipe each time will present variations. Use a container only slightly higher than the overnight rise. Try covering the dough with oiled plastic wrap. If you still have a problem you are under hydrated. You can salvage the dough by spraying the top with water and kneading it in. It should not be noticible in the final product.

Could you post your recipe ingredients only? King Arthur has a great online site and helpline but I do think many of their specialty ingredients and tools are unnecessary.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I've baked bread for years, but I don't know how to figure the percentage of hydration. I've read about it. I have the "Bread Bilble" book that explains it. It's Very Detailed.

I don't think the "skin" is a moisture problem. I almost always go the other way with my doughs. I have used a very wet terry cloth kitchen towel above the dough (not touching) along with a lid in the past with "some" success. I haven't been using oiled plastic wrap when I put it in the refrigerator. This past weekend, I had the refrigerated dough (quite wet, to the point it didn't have a lot of structure). I had a "skin" and spritzed the surface with water to re-hydrate. This takes awhile. By the time it was re-hydrated and ready to use, I was too tired to mess with it yet that evening. This time, I did put oiled saran wrap on it and then the lid. It did stay much better. So, perhaps the oiled saran wrap with a lid may be the answer. I will do this in the future.

I've just always had trouble with the surface drying out if I put the dough in the refrigerator. I have never read to put oiled saran wrap on before refrigerating other than I did it on my own and you just suggested. It has kept me from putting dough in the refrigerator. It always has turned out to be a drawn out process to re-hydrate.

I too agree with all of the "extras" KA suggests in their recipes. I just use whatever I have on hand for the seed mix. I am familiar with the 00 flour but have never used it. I don't make pasta and as far as pizza dough goes, I use a SD starter with no problems.

I've been using APF from WM mostly. However, my SD Multi-Grain has come out with mixed results. I'm going to try KA flours the next time and see if that makes a difference. The bread rises well, but it has lacked elasticity which I have concluded was due to the quality of flour. I recently bought KA APF, KA WWFlour, and KA Bread Flour. I do use KA Bread Flour in my SD starter and distilled water.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Re-read your post.
I use a Bausch Mixer with kneading paddle etc. Love it.
I measure my ingredients by weight: it's so much easier and quicker.
I have been using a container that is Much larger than the bread dough. I'm wondering why that should make a difference. Maybe because there's more air to dry out the dough I guess.
Your bread looks delish.
Do you have a banneton?

Bosch? The Bread Bible is a very good book. There are several others I like too.

Yes, the larger the container the dryer the dough. The yeast and bacteria are creating heat while metabolizing the flour. The dough is eminating warmth while the air space and container walls are fridge temp. The condensation that results is water loss from the dough. Some bakers use wrap and a wet towel, then a lid.

As for flours, the protein percentage relates to gluten. The higher the protein the higher the gluten the higher the rise. King Arthur bread flour has had the highest % protein. I think Gold Medal came out with something comparable. Store brand flours are generally milled with mixed wheat varieties. The protein % is lower than that desirable for bread. You can boost levels by adding a tsp. of essential gluten to a recipe. It's available in health food stores or maybe Whole Foods. Are you buying commercial SD starter or is it home grown? Mine is home grown and I rarely boost it with packaged yeast. Either way, it can be fickle. The seeded onion loaf below tasted great, rose great but had poor oven spring. My SD mother probably needed a few more feeds than three after two weeks in the fridge.

As for bannetons, I've had them in the past. They're a pain to store because they are left floured but need to dry out between uses and need to be periodically cleaned and re-seasoned. I've found some proper shapes in natural wicker and bamboo in thrift shops that can be tossed after a bunch of uses. Been on the hunt for new ones.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Love my Bosch. It's a German made product. I've had it 30 years. I hope it doesn't die on me!

Although I enjoy reading in The Bread Bible, I find her recipes too detailed. I have used some of her recipes with great success. I just don't like taking the time to read all of the detailed instructions.

Do you use very many of her recipes?
What are some of your favorite, useful, yeast bread, recipe books? I'm thinking about getting another book.

Have you done any reading online on the website 'Breadtopia'? I use his SD waffle recipe. It's delicious. The best waffles

Thank you for the explanation regarding refrigerating yeast bread. That makes total sense. What kind of container do you use to refrigerate yeast dough? I read somewhere someone was using a plastic shoe box, but I don't know if was going in the refrigerator.

I have my own SD starter given to me by a dear friend from Az. I have had it for about 5 years. I had to go out of state for 6 weeks due to family sickness. I was afraid the SD would be dead. I fed it several times and it returned to its original tasty self! I was relieved.

I have used Essential Gluten in the past. I have some in my cabinet that I need to toss because it's old.

I intend to research the Isis Biodynamic Whole Wheat. It sounds like something I would like.

I "think" the lack of spring in risen breads could be the "structure" of the dough itself. e.g. I think it goes back to the amt. of protein. Or, it could also be "over risen". That's the two things I always think of when it doesn't rise well in the oven.

So, do you go to a book for your usual "go to" yeast bread recipes or online? I go on line, mostly KA. I like to read the reviews from others about a recipe. I don't have much in the way of books other than the Bread Bible. Again, it's a good book-I just get bogged down in the "exactness" of the directions and usually go to some simpler written directions for a recipe.

I wrote this a couple of days ago and Poof it disappeared. Then, I've been working in the garden. Always stuff to do. Right now we're getting a nice cloud burst, so I won't have to finish watering the plants I had started watering two days ago with a trickle from a garden hose.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Good to know about the banneton. I'll probably just stick to free form.

I've been looking at the hamburger bun pan on KA. What do you think about that one?

I make the 'Rustic Sourdough Bread' recipe from KA. It calls for 2 tsp of yeast. It turns out very well every time and is Really Fast and Easy. I think most of KA SD recipes calls for some commercial yeast. It's probably to ensure success.

I'm challenged with a small tablet. Please forgive when my response is delayed or incomplete. I usually remember to go back and fill in. Love talking about bread, both yeasted and not, and hope others join in. I do very little sweet baking.

RLB writes baking cookbooks but she is down my list of great bread book authors. I checked it out from the local library and read it though but not done any recipes. My relationship with bread is old and my favorite recipe book is Bernard Clayton's, Complete Book of Bread. For the science, Shirley Corriher nails it but you might not like that. Still, bread is as much science as art so knowledge of both is important. Lastly, I rarely turn on the oven once the heat ramps up. Aside from friends who taught me about flatbreads the best book is Flatbreads and Flavors. Very readable with recipes beyond bread. That and the Clayton book should be on every bread baker's shelf. I have some Jewish cookbooks pertaining to ritual and holiday breads that are important to me but maybe not so much to you.

The only KA bread I've done is their ciabatta which turned out well. Yes, I weigh and measure but the recipes have long since been tweaked and done by sixth sense.

I started baking bread when I lived in a commune in the sixties and over the years have had many mentors of all ages, colors, regions and nationalities. Those are my references.

You might try putting your fridge dough in a plastic bag. Oil the dough first. Make sure the bag is three times the dough ball and closed but not sealed so gas can escape.

Sharing pics of Isis flour and another of the rustic texture. It's crazy expensive and Whole Foods apparently has an exclusive, but I wanted to test it. I made ww pita dough today but have some pita made so I bagged it,

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I haven't really made any flatbreads. I have a recipe for Naan but haven't used it yet. Pita breads sound like a lot of work. (Do I sound lazy?)
Instead of flatbreads, I make focaccia bread. So good.

I also love the sweet breads but stay away from them. Dangerously fattening!
I like the SD Rustic Bread recipe because it's about 80 some calories per slice. I took a loaf to a gal that was helping us in a plumbing supply store today. She was thrilled.

A commune huh, I bet you have some great stories! :)

Recipes from "all ages, color, regions and nationalities". What a great repertoire!

Using a 2 gallon zip lock baggy is a great idea. I will try that. I often use the 2 gallons to put my baked products in.

I see you have the same bench knife I have. I actually have two. The other one has a black handle and little thicker than the silver one. I like it a little bit better. I love my bench knife. I use it for scooping up vegetables and cleans off stuck on stuff on the counter tops really well. I've given them as gifts. I also see you have one of those long skinny rolling pins. Mine is the traditional one only it is really long and big. When I make pie crust, I have to be careful it doesn't squish the pie dough too much.

I don't make very many quick breads although I love them. I've looked at the calories in some of them and have been astonished how high in calories they are. So, I mostly stick to the SD Rustic Bread and the SD Multi-Grain Boule. I sometimes like to venture out and try something different.

I like to bake with Wheat Berries but they aren't very accessibile.
I mostly make free form breads on parchment paper covered sheet pans. Again, easy.

Going back to a previous post by you, yes I have made hamburger buns and no, I don't think a form is necessary. Buns and rolls hold their shape much better than larger loaves.

Pita and other flat breads such as chabati and naan are very easy if you use a griddle. I use various flours for pita but use atta, a special whole wheat grind, available at Indian or international markets, for Indian breads. I want to recommend again "Flatbreads and Flavors", by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. A whole new, fun way to enjoy bread.

The photos are from our cottage in N. GA, Maypop. The long pin was made by my SO. I've got another he made for the Atlanta kitchen. He goes to great lengths to facilitate my cooking. Those are pasta pins. Pasta is rolled into large, thin sheets and after each pass the sheet is rolled onto the pin and flipped. It should be thin enough to see through to your hand. Takes practice and a looong pin. :) I have several pins at both houses and use a French pin, which has tapered ends, for pastry. The board is a piece of a bowling alley floor that he cut and eased the edges. I've got one twice as big in Atlanta. Again, for pasta I need a large surface.

Forgot to recommend another wonderful book..."Beard On Bread", by James Beard. I collect vintage cookbooks and this is a great book from the 70's that I stumbled on in the resale section of the local library a few years ago.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm SO GLAD I asked about the problem I was having for refrigerated dough. I've been struggling with this for years. I put my oiled, sourdough bread dough in a 2-gallon ziplock baggie this last time, and it worked like a charm. THANK YOU for your suggestion.
I had made sourdough cinnamon bread (free form) and rustic SD bread the same day. So, it was really great to be able to put the rustic bread in the refrigerator overnight.
I also recently made Oatmeal Sourdough Rolls as hamburger buns. We ate the last two for lunch today. They were very tasty. I think the oatmeal may have made them a little more sturdy. I don't like it when the buns disintegrate while trying to eat them. I am going to make them again tomorrow.
I try to remember to get my starter out the night before. Then, I feed it in the morning and make the bread. I keep a lot of SD starter. I like to have the ability to make a lot of recipes at one time. I keep it in a Tupperware Lettuce Crisper.
I use my oven all of the time.
I visited the local used bookstore looking for a bread recipe book. The only one they had was a bread machine book.

Very pleased to help. I was thinking of this discussion twice this past week. I do food recovery and had a Whole Foods donation. Part of the donation was bread dough in plastic bags. They tie the bags shut. They were like balloons by donation time. Secondly, I found three medium-sized baskets to use as bannetons at a thrift store. $2.00. I'll post a pic when I'm back in Atlanta. I cut cotton liners but didn't have time to hem them. I've had mixed luck with sticking when I didn't line even after prepping. I might try one loaf on this weave to see how it goes. On the other hand if I stick with liners I won't have a messy basket to clean up.

Would like to see your breads. Post pics. Our local library takes book donations and has a room staffed with volunteers to sell used books. Always lots of cook books. Half.com is a good source for used books. The books I've ordered have been in better than expected condition.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Man, how do you find out about these things: Whole Foods donation?? How cool! What fun! So what else did you get as a donation? Just wondering. We don't have local Whole Foods; our agrarian area isn't big enough for WF. The closest is STL. As with everything in life, there's pluses and minuses. I can get anywhere in 15 to 20 minutes. I can get free composted horse manure. I have to leave my house 2.5 hours before arriving at the STL airport. No WF store. So + and - !

We do have a Panera or also called St Louis Bread Company. I like them but their breads (as are every bakery) taste commercial--just not that home-made yeasty taste.

Although using a banneton (basket) is a great artistic endeavor, right now, I'm not into going the "extra mile". But, Good For You! I think it's great you to do this. Maybe, you'll inspire me enough to do this. :) I just put my doughs on parchment paper on a sheet cake pan and call it "good." It tastes the same, just not very fancy. One of these days .....

I am going to make some hamburger buns again. We enjoyed them, and they turned out looking like Hamb. buns instead of rolls which I was afraid would happen.

I'm going to check out the local library soon. They take book donations also and have a book sale at some time of the year. I am going to check into that. The sad part is most people around here don't bake yeast breads (or garden). So, I probably won't find anything. I'm going to check out what's available at the bookstore (B&N), review the books, then perhaps order off of Half Price or Amazon. I like browsing the book before I buy it. Maybe if I see some enticing recipes in some cookbooks, I'll venture out more. Right now, I mostly go to the internet to find a recipe like the Oatmeal Sourdough Hamburger Buns.

I have a "Chrome Book" I use all of the time for my research and communication. It's rather small and light weight and works for simple stuff {I'm pretty "simple" when it comes to computers! :) }. The problem with this "Chrome Book" is, it's quite difficult to post pictures. Even my daughter and husband, who are much more savvy than I, find it challenging. So sadly, I don't usually post pictures.

Lest there be a misunderstanding...I volunteer on behalf of an organization that recovers food from all over the city and delivers it to soup kitchens, community pantries, shelters, etc.. We are fortunate to have two Whole Foods and Costcos, three Trader Joe's, a Sprouts, Fresh Market and Aldi's within five miles of our house. I pick up at all of the above except Aldi's. I don't keep any food but do occasionally use the convenience to purchase interesting items.

Pulled a boule out of the oven fifteen minutes ago. Used a lightly oiled Pyrex bowl sprinkled with black sesame seeds. I've been cutting down on rising time in an attempt to increase oven spring. It seems to be working. I'm including a not so good second picture so you can see the bowl. Wish I coukd post the smell.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Your Boule looks good. Yes, the smell of fresh baked bread--so nice. What kind of Boule is it? I haven't made a Boule in awhile. The recipe I have requires 2 cups of SD starter. I like to make it when I have extra starter than needs to be used.

Today, I made more Sourdough Oatmeal Rolls for sandwich rolls. I used bread flour vs. APF. It's a good recipe.

I also made SD for pretzels per hubbies request. I made the dough, then, put it in a ziplock baggie in the refrigerator. I'm thinking the dough might be easier to work with cold.

It's that biodynamic whole wheat flour and my sourdough starter topped with black sesame seeds. I started with 5oz. starter and 10oz. water. I used a total of 2 1/2-3 cups flour. Probably right at or slightly more than 2 1/2. I made a sponge using about 3/4-1 cup flour, let the sponge rise, added a fat pinch of sea salt and enough flour to get it onto the board and kneaded in the remaining flour. The first rise was the sponge rise and the second was in the Pyrex bowl. Then I upended the bowl on a parchment covered cookie sheet and baked it at 400 degrees convection for 25 minutes. It's not a large boule and these days I rarely do double loaves. I never dump starter but feed it in two oz. increments and maintain only up to two cups at a time. Once it goes over that amount I make pancakes or flatbreads on a cast iron griddle. I only bake bread a few times a month.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, wow! I have lots of SD starter. I always want to have plenty on hand to make whatever and whenever I want. Sometimes I go on a real baking spree and make lots of stuff. That's when I would get into trouble with having to refrigerate the dough. I have a 24" wide oven. I have to use two shelves a lot. When I make lots of stuff, it would get late before I could get it all baked. So, using the baggie has answered that problem. Rarely, I have someone that wants some starter.
Lately, I have been baking bread and giving it away. Everyone seems to think it's such a treat to get a loaf of homemade bread. If it's SD bread, they like it even more. So inexpensive!
In the past, I have used whatever APF in whatever store I was in at the time I needed more flour. However, I came to the conclusion this summer it was the flour that made some of the products not what I thought they should be instead of my baking skills. So, I've switched to KA flours. I haven't made much with the KA flour but think it will hold structure a little better. Really, that's the best flour around here available.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I make my own bread every week. I use only CAPUTO 00 flour. love it !

This message was edited Jul 28, 2016 7:39 AM

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor

Beautiful loaves! You should be proud of them. I have been using the Anna tipo in the photo. Caputo is a terrific one and the first I had ever used. I use tipo for making pasta and pizzas. It's a little too fine to make the rustic, course breads I grew up eating.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, dthor, your loaves are quite artistic!
What kind of lame' do you use? I've been looking at them for awhile. They look dangerous!
Are the loaves the same recipe or different ones?

You guys use flours I've never heard of. How do you get access to these flours?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

this is the read lame I use and absolutely love:
http://breadtopia.com/store/bread-lame/
I am super lucky here in Dallas we have an Italian food store. I can buy 50 lbs of Caputo flour for $40 or so.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I've looked at breadtopia's lame'. It looked a little scary to me. BTW, I love their Sourdough Waffle Recipe. You make it the night before, leave on your kitchen counter and it's ready in the morning. It has a really unique taste.
Wow, 50# for $40.00. What a deal. How do you store that much flour? In the freezer, I suppose.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from birder17 :
How do you store that much flour? In the freezer, I suppose.

I bought an air/sealed stainless steel container from the "container store". I keep it in the kitchen - no freezer - no bugs.
I use the 00 flour all the time for my pasta, pizza, bread and pastries. I was born in Italy and that the taste I got used to.

Yes, the beautiful breads of each region and country may be favorites if that's what we grew up with. I grew up eating heavy, dark ryes and pumpernickels and tangy sourdough all of which were covered in seeds or caramelized onions or herbs. The Italian, French and Spanish loaves are lighter and more elegant.

I wasn't asked, but use two attached wooden chopsticks from takeout Chinese with a razor shoved down the middle as a lame. It's worked for me for years. BTW lame is pronounced "lahm" and not "lamay". There is no accent at the end.

i grew up in S. FL. with a large community of Italian Americans. Lorenzo's Market in Miami has an online site and was a neighborhood staple just a couple of miles from my childhood home. Check out Lorenzo's Italian Center. Atlanta supports a large multicultural community but unfortunately it's not Italian. Still, the appreciation of Italian cooking is such that quality ingredients are available here. I have traveled in some of Italy. It is a country of many unique styles since the history is that it was once divided into many kingdoms. So, like the U.S., each region had it's own culinary style based on the foods or animals grown there.

I use many flours, not just wheat. I make socca from chickpea flour which Drthor may know as farinata. I use three grinds of cornmeal ad well as blue corn which is s very different than yellow or white. I'm not very good, or interested in dessert baking, waffles, croissants, crepes, etc. but I enjoy learning about native breads.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

May: Could you please take a picture of your Lame?

Sure. Since I live in two homes it's not possible to duplicate all the kitchen tools. The idea stems from seeing lames that were two pieces of wood held together by various metal clamps or screws or even leather thongs. Lames like Drthor's hold curved double sided blades which will give a thinner shag. Most lames are straight knife edges or hold straight blades. I keep the blade covered and down the chopsticks to store and slide it up as far as possible to use.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

sooo clever!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I like that Lame! Thanks. I can do that.
I made SD Caramelized Onion Bread and a SD Seeded Whole Wheat Boule yesterday.
Question:
A lot of times the surface on my Boule "tears" apart on the surface of the dough as it rises. It only affects the looks of the bread, but I am curious what is going on that causes this. Can you tell me what is happening?

Yes, that's the result of gas escaping from the weakest point of the skin. The portion of dough exposed to air forms a skin which becomes the crust. The purpose if the lame slashes is to create controlled exits for the gas. Since gas rises, uncontrolled bubbles may create random tears in the crust or holes inside the loaf.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

This "tearing" starts on the second rise before (I think) it's "ready" to go in the oven and before I would score the surface.
This last time, when I made the Boule, I forgot about the dough and it "over rose", so I re-shaped it. Within 15 minutes, the skin was tearing.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

This is interesting. I don't bake bread very often (because if I did, I would eat it...........*sigh*.............). I admit I use my bread machine when I do want a little bread because it makes a small loaf. Have a couple slices or 3, and poof!............It is all gone. LOL

I bought a grain mill and can grind my own flour. The"whole" whole wheat I grind makes a really yummy loaf.

When we were in Africa 3 years ago, they had naan out. I hadn't ever seen it before (yeah, I know, I don't get out much...........). I asked one of the ladies in our group what it was and she said "it's naan, and not very good naan." I didn't think it was too bad, but since I hadn't ever had it before, there was nothing to compare.

So, when we got home I was determined to try and make it, especially since our neighbors have a wood fired outside oven. I made my naan dough, rolled it out and took it over and baked it in their oven. It was proclaimed a rousing success. I'd like to try it again, only this time make a raised naan.

I've also made a kouign amman............gonna try that again too. (when I can afford the calories..........)

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Anna,
Hey, I can never "afford" the calories. My sourdough bread is 80 calories per slice. That's not too bad. A slice of sourdough bread, 1 poached egg and a cup of coffee is 180 calories. That's not a bad breakfast. I make all of the bread we eat. We are so spoiled. I can't bring myself to buy commercial bread anymore. We have been having Cinnamon Raisin Bread for breakfast lately. It's the cinnamon rolls that I find really fattening and hey, loaves of quick bread and muffins are higher in calories than yeast bread. You have to enjoy life a little. Am I an enabler?
Your naan looks yummy.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

The Spousal Unit was NOT impressed by the naan, not even when it was drenched with melted butter. Cretin!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh well, you can please some of the people some of the time........
I think Naan would be tasty served as a flatbread pizza. I have turned focaccia bread into pizza. Yes, it was good.
I made four loaves of SD bread and 2 loaves of Cinnamon Raisin Bread. That Cinnamon Bread for breakfast turns into a habit really quick!

Anna, I'm not sure what flat bread you ate in Africa but to my knowledge naan is only made in Asia. Are you loving your grain mill? I enjoy my wood oven for bread, pizza and other things as well (like wood smoked tomato sauce or lamb and goat stews). That said, it takes many hours to get ready so I need a multi-food plan to make it worthwhile. It's a project. Right now it's too hot to consider firing her up.

I bake an oven loaf about once a month in summer. We don't eat much loaf bread but I make some type of flat bread, usually pita, on a cast iron griddle almost weekly. The house stays cooler and it meets our bread needs. We are more hummus and tomato tyoes than ham and cheese types. Sharing puffy pita in progress.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Maypop, the gal that told me it was naan is a VERY well-travelled person. And it looked like the naan I made. And the pix I've seen of it. The meals that we had in Africa at the "resorts" were very international in composition.

Hmmm...........only made in Asia.............well, I made some and I live in Wisconsin. Bwahahahaha..................:>)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.