Wanted: true blue flower seeds

U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

Hello,.

I have recently moved and am starting over with my flower gardens. I want to make a small garden in honor of my mother Helen. Her favorite color was blue. I find that a lot of the blue flowers are actually purple not blue at all, I am looking for suggestions of flowers that you know for sure are really blue. Also if you have any extra seeds I could trade for postage or see if I have anything to trade. Thanks for any advice you can give me. Sue from Michigan (zone 4-5)

Denver, CO

My favorite true blue flower is a NZ hybrid called Delphinium 'Moonlight Blues.' I can send you some of its spent seed pods if you would like. I think it is a beautiful thing you are doing to honor your Momma! :-)

Thumbnail by gartenfraulein
U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

Those are beautiful! Thanks so much for your offer. Just let me know when they are ready and I will send a sase, and let me know if you would like a trade. I can see what I might have. Thanks, Sue

This message was edited Jul 14, 2016 9:53 AM

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

My suggestions - Blue larkspur (there are soft blue ones and dark blue ones), Forget-Me-Nots - Plant them in the fall for spring bloom. Blue Coneflowers. Helen Von Stein Lamb's Ear is a really soft gray and shows nicely with blue flowering plants. It is great that you can grow delphinium - those are awesome in shades of blue. If I could grow those in my zone, believe me I would.

Good luck!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The are some nice Campanula Balloon flowers That are actually Blue ,

Thumbnail by juhur7
U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

thanks everyone for your recommendations, keep them coming!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Your Always welcome , the Above I goofed slightly , While of the Campanula family it is , It is actually a Balloon flower

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Ceratostigma Plumbaginoides, blooms July - September.

Natick, MA

Blue Cardinal Flower (perennial): lobelia siphilitica
I have seed I can share if you are interested; It self-seeds if it's happy

New Tripoli, PA

Quote from glamourpuss :
Hello,.

I have recently moved and am starting over with my flower gardens. I want to make a small garden in honor of my mother Helen. Her favorite color was blue. I find that a lot of the blue flowers are actually purple not blue at all, I am looking for suggestions of flowers that you know for sure are really blue. Also if you have any extra seeds I could trade for postage or see if I have anything to trade. Thanks for any advice you can give me. Sue from Michigan (zone 4-5)

New Tripoli, PA

Hello Sue from Michigan. I have two blue columbine varieties in my flower bed, and I have harvested from both of them. Since I was just going to use them myself, I combined the seeds. One is a pure blue, the other is blue with white inner petals. I'd be glad to share the seeds with you. Since they are very tiny, I could tuck them into a small plastic sealed baggie, and I imagine one stamp postage would be adequate. Give me your address, and I'll send you some blue columbine seeds to help you honor your mother's memory. My mom is alive and healthy at 90, though she fell in a bus yesterday, and cracked her head, and needed 4 staples. She says she does not even have a headache as a result. She's always been lucky that way. Best, Eravette

New Tripoli, PA

Texas bluebonnets (lupines), gentians, blue birdsfoot violets.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.