It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

AUGUST Ideas,Organizing/Sewing challenges, come join us!

Victoria Harbour, ON

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1427619/

Thanks for missing me Mittsy, just got home last night and am tired out. Doing a tad of work outside and just might go downstairs so see what I can get up to.

Not many pages on the calendar left, think I will have to pick up speed in the craft room.

Will take inventory of supplies needed for projects as I'm waiting to hear about going to Buffalo this weekend.

While I was away I got an email from my fabric store, regular Wednesday specials..purchased 2 pkgs of fat quarters in blue's and whites so best I find a pattern to use them up, could make a king size quilt for dil.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2016 11:03 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new thread Betty.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

How are the Canada quilts coming along Betty? My quilt is at the quilter's but won't be done for a while. She has a family emergency and won't be back home for another week and a half. I'm in no hurry for it....

Victoria Harbour, ON

Posted the first Canadian quilt in first post..saw the rocks for New Brunswick, lighthouse in Nova Scotia and puffin in Newfoundland..so now I can relate to those.

No hurry but anxious to see it finished right?

What are you now working on?

I'm concentrating on doing some housework right now that I had let slide. I have a couple of things going but nothing specific. Just playing. I do want to do one of those folded wreaths so will work on that in the meantime..... Trying to be patient waiting for my quilt although she won't be getting to it for another week or so.....

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Its so wonderful to see the puffins in their natural habitat. Good job on those quilts Betty.
Know what you mean, Barb when you are waiting to get something back from the long arm quilter. Shelia is so busy right now that I haven't even given her my quilt to work on.
Baked bread yesterday while waiting on the laundry, so breakfast is lovely with toast slathered in home made peach jam.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Beautiful Betty, and I really like the sashing, have added that to my collection of ideas.

As I was looking at the Canada quilt, I kept thinking I'll bet Betty was glad to have so few provinces to picture. Can you imagine doing one like that for the USA? It has probably been done but I wouldn't have the patience.....50 blocks!!!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now that would be an undertaking but could be done seeing I've done 12 blocks x 4
48 just shy of your 2... Girls were here this morning, we figured out when done I will have $225 into each..no wonder I'm broke lol

Sashimg was easy, just time consuming.

My pat is finished her blocks, had a big discussion on thread to be used on her tops or quilting, she is tending to use one color throughout, me I like the see through where you see the quilting but no color..your thoughts

Just had lunch, made myself comfy but telling myself to get up and do something..too hot outside, have to use weeder tonight so the meantime I can rest or start a program.

Thinking might to me good to try that ne bag. That I bought tutorial on, has origami patches in it, bought fabric for it several months ago soooo maybe I could get it at least cut out!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well I decided to get off the chesterfield

Got the fat quarters out, says you need 2 fat quarters for the bag but am sure that is only for outside..did quilting on the pieces and chesterfield calling me again, not sure I will do a whole lot more as I need leather handles and zipper..going to Barrie Friday afternoon so hopefully fabric shop has some.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

I have done little quilts, but I like to match threads or use a neutral color. I have never used the clear thread.
Beautiful fabrics.

What needle do you use with the clear thread Betty?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Regular quilting needle, never had a problem

With these particular quilts being on quilting frame I have to use one color..do the same Lindakay on most others but just didn't want the eye to go animals showing neutral through them

Pat will have to decide what she will do

I worked on the bag with origami mini squares decorating a strip mid point in the bag..most unusual way of making the bag itself, I'm amazed at how it will come together..don't want to make a special trip to Barrie when I know I have to go Friday..wish Walmart carried sewing supplies again

Do you have a picture of the bag you're trying to make?

Victoria Harbour, ON

No, it's a tutorial I bought but will take photo's as I progress

The 5 squares of origami could be left just folded or a small bead to hold centre in..I'm sitting here adding a beads

Victoria Harbour, ON

Got the pearls sewn on
Not sure how much more I can do until I get a zipper..
Will call the little quilting store in Midland, highly unlikely they have zippers..

Not sure why I'm making this, don't need a little bag

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Those are pretty blocks. You always have 2 little girls behind you, they might like a bag? Are they hard to do?

Victoria Harbour, ON

No, entire project easy to do...little girls aren't allowed to come here anymore since I complained their back yard was a dump and should be cleaned..sigh
But when the garbage truck goes by on Tuesday one brings the containers from roadside to my door, of course the $2 I give her is an ensentive lol

Did they ever clear the yard?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Heard the chainsaw earlier tonight, might be cutting wood..trees/vines have made it that I can't see in their yard, got to say I'll be on it when leaves fall as I'm sure if it's anything like side yard I'll be fuming.

Managed to get 48 panels almost done for strapping, in the morning I will add the blip use/black to the other side..that will do the other 3 quilts...trying to keep up, clock is ticking away.

Hard to believe these little pieces will make a bag of a useable size!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Need to pick up wood this weekend to start a few of these fall pieces..Melanie dil and goddaughter are crazy for Halloween as am I, easier doing a few than 1' while waiting for paint to drive you just move on to the next.

Love the fabric colors.

Those Halloween pieces are pretty too!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Used up these fats quarters, if I like the end result I will make one in a color I would carry that matches something I'd wear

Can't wait to see the bag Betty. Love the Harvest Moon pattern. You do great work with applique!!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

The tutorial I bought has a different origami block done with hexagon, will have to try it..even I'd I don't make a bag I could put them into another project.

Been awhile since I've painted, with that paint wall filled with hundreds of paint bottles I should do more.

I thought the Halloween scene was for a quilt! Is it a painting pattern? In any case, it is cute.........
Prayers for Lorna's Dad this morning. It has to be so difficult for her to be so far away. Hope she gets good news. Glad to hear that DGD is coming back home "M". That will be a load off your mind.
Hazy, hot and humid here right through the weekend. I had planned on staying in the whole weekend. Just got a message about a B-B-Q on Saturday for Brandon as he will be leaving to go back to school next week. Boy, that summer break went by so fast!!!! Can't believe he is a junior this year!!! And that Sean is a junior in high school!!!! Sure wish I could stop time from moving so fast.....
Off to do the machine. Hope all have a great day...

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Somehow lost this for a few days.
Loving the colors you are using Betty, can't wait to see it finished.
Feeling almost human today, still have the pancreas pain, guess I just need to let it run it's course. I think I sweated out the cold last night, need a shower & dry clothes. I have a quilt here with me had intentions of finishing the binding, maybe will be able to do it today.
DGDs surgery went well, I'm sure not much help to her but hubby is. He's nursing us both.

Victoria Harbour, ON

If you lost best/worse/what did I learn today here is the link
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1429315/

Take things slow Karen, binding can wait a few days longer...great that hubby is there to help out..am sure you are thankful that all went well with DGD"s operation..now the healing begins.

Still fighting a cold, couch has been my best friend these past few days..got enough energy to put some beads on the bride's bouquet on wedding quilt..now ima thinking of cutting them off, not sure I like it, maybe cheapens it

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Not up to starting appliqué work on the 2nd my Canada quilt so did inventory for supplies I need to start 2nd wedding quilt..although I'm changing pattern I will stay with same colors used on the one I just started..looks richer don't you think??

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

You are so right Betty. Yours is beautiful.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just got back from fabric store, Lordy spent a months worth of allowance. Lol
Got enough fabric for the 3 wedding quilts and the backing for the 3 other. 'My Canada' quilts..got to say 16-18.99 a meter(39 inches) it doesn't take long to add up.

I'm going to do the same quilt pattern, made an executive decision' will save the other if I'm invited to a wedding 😜

On my travels home the black sky hung over my car but still no rai n..think everyone are praying for rain..

Victoria Harbour, ON

My bag of goodies

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

I like your color combination MUCH more than the blue they pictured.

I also like your pattern and colors better too. I love how the couple block is offset. To me, that makes it really unique....

The offset really is cool, and the line of flowers along it is beautiful. Can't say enough good things about that quilt! It is simply stunning!

Sorry to hear your not feeling well Karen. Get some rest.

Betty, I too like your version of the quilt, better than the blue.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Meant to ask Pat , how is hubby and how are you doing with one staff member short?

Been raining last few hours, heavenly....not seeing grass turning green yet but flowers are perking up lol

Ben is wearing a heart monitor and he fell again on Thursday and would have Friday if he hadn't found somewhere to plop his bottom in time (open back of the Cherokee). Tired but no pain. Friday was our 10th anniversary and we went out to dinner.

We hired 4 new people at work that were to start 8/22 and already one of them as backed out, down to 3. One of my best friends, Angela, last day was Friday, my office mate Melissa is out with family emergency. I can only see it getting worse not better at work. I'm grateful for my little sanctuary of an office with Melissa. We are away from the drama and flagrant misuse of time. People with too much time on their hands (caused by not doing parts of their job) and not volunteering to take ANY of the excess caused by short staff. At 61 and with 5 more years of work ahead of me, I really don't want to look for another job.

I started cutting back the wisteria and clearing the patio. What a dirty mess. Our pickup is still not fixed so I'm trying to cut and clear 2 large garbage cans at a time. I know I'll lose patience and simply cut it down and borrow my Sis's pickup. Who wants this much mess over and over! I could have grown a garden in the dirt INSIDE my bra! Cutting overhead is bound to cause some fallout!

Thinking of Ben this morning and praying he is doing okay.
Also thinking of Susan and Bob and their move today. Praying for no glitches.....

Victoria Harbour, ON

Pat, hugs, must be overwhelming for you, overworked and worried about Ben...sending prayers!

Do hope somehow you end up with a little time for yourself wether gardens or sewing, but do find time for you...

Still fighting cold, no washing because I've lived in my jammies past week, thank goodness they look dressy lol

Decided with big box of scraps I'd cut out another set of my Canada blocks, am sure one of the gals that sew here will jump at the chance of of taking it..have 7 out of 2 done, don't feel like sewing right now so I sit and play cut-outs

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.