Angel Trumpets / Night Blooming Oxypetalum

Ebensburg, PA(Zone 5b)

Hello Angel Trumpet breeders out there. I bred a full size angel trumpet "Pink" to a miniature one called "Summers Dream" by Logee's Greenhouse. I got 5 from the breeding and 1 flowered last year with a very pale pink flower . The scent is very spicy!
This year another one flowered and its flower is peachy color. Though the scent was rather weak and nondescript. .
How often and what strength of fertilizer do you use???
Thank you for your advice on fertilizing .
Lynda

Thumbnail by LyndaTR
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Lynda. That sounds like a really fun project! I see the title of your thread is Oxypetalum. Photo looks like Epiphyllum oxypetalum which Logees calls the Night Blooming Cereus? I think of an Angel Trumpet as either Brugmansia or Datura. Epiphyllum I think the common name is Orchid Cactus. Which species do you have?
I have several Epiphyllum (none blooming yet), a Ric Rac Orchid Cactus, and one Brugmansia 'Maya' (which blooms but gets mealy bugs so I might get rid of it).
I also have grown from seed some "Dragon Fruit" which I think are probably Hylocereus, a close relative.

Oh Hi Lynda, I just saw your thread on another forum about the Angel Trumpet (Brugmansia) problem. I think I might have the same thing. I never looked closely but I assumed it was mealy bugs. I am pretty busy for the next several days, I will look closer and try to get close up photos of my problem, maybe it is the same as yours.

Here are photos of mine. You can see the new top growth is fine. When you don't look close, it kind of looks like a fungus. The close ups show the Mealy Bugs, as I suspected.
It is a bit embarrassing to show this infestation, but I have now sprayed with Azamax and put Bonide Systemic Insecticide granules on the potting soil, so hopefully this will be fine in the end.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil

Here are more, with close up of leaf. Usually they are not crawling around on a leaf.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Ebensburg, PA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for Pistil for comments. I am so sorry for taking so long to reply.
I also had a major problem with mealy bugs on my stag horn fern. I learned in working in a greenhouse to use rubbing alcohol and q-tips . Just wet the bugs with the alcohol and they will die.
My hylocerius for the first time had a flower ! My plant is about 5 years old. I learned from this site I needed to fertilize full strength every two weeks. That sure worked. Here is a picture of the flower.
Also a picture of my Angel Trumpet which is a greenish yellow color. It is only 2 1/2 feet tall.

Thumbnail by LyndaTR Thumbnail by LyndaTR Thumbnail by LyndaTR

Oh very nice. Sure does take a long time to get blooms on these! I have not had any yet :-(
I have been trying the fertilizer regimen of using a very low dose with every watering. We shall see. Anyway the leaves look fine.

orangeville, Canada

Lynda, that flower is beautiful! Pistil, is your plant in a sunny location?

My epiphyllums are near a huge east facing window, but only get early morning sun, I have considered putting them on hooks from the ceiling by the window.
Last week I got sick of having too many plants there. I threw out the Brugmansia and all my baby Dragon Fruit. They were fun to sprout but really what do I need with a tropical tree/vine requiring massive trellis and full sun, here in Seattle, in my dining room!

orangeville, Canada

I can completely relate to have to make choices with plants. They can take over if you let them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.