Please help with this plant ID

Albemarle, NC

I am new to the group and found it while searching this ID so maybe this will be a win/win for me.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Thumbnail by Stryfe
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Is this a shrub? (woody, persistent) or is all the growth soft?
How tall and wide is it?
Where is it growing?
Sun/shade
Moist/dry
wild or natural area suggesting a native plant or somewhere you might think of an introduced plant, either a desirable garden plant or an introduced weed?

Have you seen any flowers, fruit or any structures that look like they might have held flowers or fruit?

Albemarle, NC

This plant is currently growing in Wisconsin. I do not know much more about it but here is another photo. Thank you

Thumbnail by Stryfe
Albemarle, NC

Just bumping for a fresh look. Sorry for the lack of info.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

The one that comes to mind is Ruellia brittoniana. Do some research and see if this is even close:
Leaf size, shape, attachement
Does it grow in the area you found the plant
any other details.

Albemarle, NC

Thank you, I know it's tough because I am trying to find out for someone several states away (WI). The leaves are similar in shape and attachment but have a purple underside and the veins are different in the leaves. I included another picture showing a close up.

Thumbnail by Stryfe
San Francisco, CA

I'm not sure if any Ruellia will make it through a WI winter...
Lysimachia may be a possibility.

Albemarle, NC

Lysimachia does not seem to be it.

not sure if this helps but used as an herb to help treated cramps

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, that definition covers a lot of plants. I dont know this plant, dont have my reference books handy. I looked because the icon resembles tradescantia. No it isnt ruellia or tradescantia. Wrong leaf for ruellia, tho purple is a color commonly associated with colder weather...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.