Any good autumn hydrangea foliage out there?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Just checking to see if anyone has started getting any nice Fall foliage already? I have some oakleaf hydrangeas that do but it is too early for that hydrangea fall foliage in Texas. But maybe someone else up north can share pictures? Little Quickfire, a paniculata, I know produces nice medium yellow leaves. And a few macs like Lady in Red, etc are known to get nice foliage too. Wedding Gown is also known to produce some nice dark red tones after the white blooms mature. TIA, Luis

This message was edited Jun 7, 2017 7:43 PM

(Zone 4b)

Not so much foliage 'Luis' but the flowers have aged nicely.

(These "Bobos" have now looked good i.e. flowers from mid July to now mid October).

This message was edited Oct 18, 2016 6:27 AM

Thumbnail by rouge21
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Looks nice. I like the shade of pink I see in pictures of the Bobos! Oakleaf hydrangea leaves look like they are preparing to start turning colors soon too.

I also got a lonely single new bloom from a hydrangea that only blooms on old wood. And this year, I noticed two separate blooms in one of my quince bushes. That is new although the flowers are normally small so I may have missed them in the last few years. Wish the quinces would get on the re-blooming bandwagon of the hydrangeas too!

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Saw Twist and Shout yesterday with nice red leaves at a local plant nursery!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Those flowers are very nice, Rouge.

(Zone 4b)

Thanks MaypopLaurel.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Since sporadic cold weather came in last month and this month I've only seen one hydrangea with excellent "fall foliage". That would be 'Ellen Huff'. All the other hydrangeas are either fried (the macs); gone (paniculatas), or almost gone (oak-leaves other than 'Ellen Huff').

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, indeed. My oakleaves are just like that. With more sun exposure, the leaves are red/purple-ish. With less sun (in the garage), the leaves are yellowish. Oddly, with even less sun (more sun protection), they are purple-ish.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Ellen Huff is still excellent. The rest are not good for winter foliage (Snow Queen, Alice, Ruby Slippers, Harmony, Snowflake, and Little Honey). Alice has some leaves left but only at the top. Here are some photos I took earlier today.

First two are of Alice. The other 3 are of Ellen Huff. I did take one photo of Snow Queen just for comparison sake but it is just some bare twigs so not including it here.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.