Hydranga Prune

Fort Lee, NJ

Hello, I have a hydranga bush were I cut out the old sticks early spring which I probably should not have done , no flowers flowers this season, but new shoot growth all green stem leaves. Question, should I prune down in fall or leave it alone?
Also if I do prune how much should I prune?

Thumbnail by quest Thumbnail by quest
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Traditional mophead hydrangeas and some other hydrangea species bloom on what is called "old wood" which is the branch that was formed last year. So a "hard pruning" like you did will eliminate the blooms that year. Now your hydrangea is ready to have a fantastic crop of flowers this year!
One can cut a hydrangea down all the way if it has overgrown the location, usually this is not a problem and they come back better than ever.
Hydrangeas can be pruned in more than one way, but a general technique is that in early or mid spring you cut the old flowered stems back to a fat flower bud. At the same time, cut out some old thick gnarly branches as low as you can get, also any spindly or weird branches.
I am often too lazy to do this, and every several years just cut mine to the ground as you did, when it gets too big and overgrown.

Thumbnail by Pistil
Fort Lee, NJ

So basically I should leave it alone and not prune anything now and prune after flowering next season?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

yep. That would work and it would be easy-nobody wants to mess with a shrub more than once a year!

Fort Lee, NJ

Thanks so very much!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.