Puppy mill dogs as pets?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Do any of you have knowledge of problems making pets out of puppy mill dogs? I saw a dog at the Pet Rescue we have gotten both dogs and cats from. The worker told me she was from a puppy mill. This little dog, about 7 years old, predicted, so sad, what kind of problems would I have if I picked her to go home with me? I know she was kept in a crate all her life, which means she is not house broken. How difficult would that be to break the habit? Any thing else? What would you advise me to do? Thanks for your input. Jen

Redwood City, CA

I just picked this up. I have four rescue dogs from Taiwan and have participated extensively in chat groups on shy dogs. Based on info gleaned from those sites, it is very common for puppy mill dogs to be very shut down because they have never had any choices to make since they are just caged for years. I don't want to sugar coat it, I would view them as the most difficult type of dog to rescue because they have lost hope. But the only way to know this dog is to watch her and see how she acts.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info. Fortunately, the next day we were going to go ahead and get her, but someone else had already adopted her. That is good. Hopefully they will know how to work with her. Thank you. Jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.