What\'s For Dinner Part 75

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1435116/?page=7#post_10276418

Let's start a new thread to celebrate Chinese New Year...the Year of the Rooster! Hear, hear for poultry in all its glorious forms! The holiday starts on Saturday but the celebration is usually week long. Of course a themed dinner is in the works at my place. Homemade steamed dumplings with dipping sauces plus a soup with chicken, shrimp, fresh bean curd (tofu), bok choy and snow peas will be central. Also making egg foo young with scallions and mung bean, something I grew up with. Almond cookies for dessert. Maybe a Chinese pickle. Tsingtao beer. Friends and family. That should do it.

My godfather was Chinese and in the restaurant business the Chinese New Year was a big deal. My mom always brought me to work that night though I was mostly sequestered in the kitchen. The kitchen staff would give me sweets and gifts. Hollywood A-listers headlining the Miami Beach Hotels would come in after midnight to party hearty and I would eventually fall asleep in the storage room on a bed made of sacks of rice. Those wonderful smells from the kitchen are forever in my memory.

Anyone have plans for the Chinese New Year? Going out, staying in, bringing in? Cooking a cockerel? Share your plans and Happy New Year!

This message was edited Jan 26, 2017 12:06 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Well,I didn't but now I do since you reminded me...we have a big Pet Expo here that weekend and that's a good excuse not to cook. Don't ask how that applies, I just use any excuse .......

It's just a lard crust, not sweet at all, I thought about a quiche but passed on it. for the pie, it turned out exceptionally tender and flaky ..a galette sound just the right size.

Oops dentist appt and I have to go way across town and it's snowing, You can be sure since I'm leaving early, traffic will be minimal and I'll end up sitting and waiting in the office.

somewhere, PA

Congrat's on the poetic anniversary Laurel. Loved Sally's assessment.

My eyes are really strained - been glued to the computer way too long this week!

I've been so busy I haven't prepared/eaten vegetables several days this week. Today I fixed that with: a big green salad, roasted brussels sprouts w/roasted sweet potato fries and a dessert of an orange.

Night all!
Tam

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I hadn't thought of it for home, but we celebrate Chinese New Year at work, because the manager's daughter is Chinese, and the rest of us love an excuse to order carryout and eat together. WHat a great childhood story, Laurel.

Snow, what is snow? We've been above freezing for over two weeks, I think. Tammy, hope you've seen the outdoors sometime during this. Remember to blink and rest sometimes.
I hate waiting for an appointment when I haven't brought my choice of reading material.
Chicken's in the slow cooker with something called garlic chipotle rub. Cornbread, or 'corn souffle' sounds good with that. Green beans cooked a long time, I'll have to give instructions for that.

Time to finish my Happicuppa and get dressed. I work afternoon shift twice a week, is how the library covers us being open 9 am to 9 pm, M- Th. But today I go in AM. I don't have any good leftovers for lunch, so I guess it's canned soup- blech.

M5, you could celebrate the entire week and not have to cook. You could even do different countries that celebrate CNY.

Tammy,, sounds like a vacation is in order. Aren't you expecting a big snow? Yes, I loved the poetry. He rolled it up like a scroll and tied it with a ribbon.

We have a hot date to make dumplings and watch Netflix tonight. They can be assembled in advance and put in an oiled container. I'll put out a few cheeses, dry sausages and vegetables to snack on for dinner. Trying to do things in advance because we are taking Lil'E and his friend to the Center For Puppetry Arts tomorrow. Two three year olds...oy!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

No question about what's for dinner. I hit Costco and the rotisserie chicken was $5. I saw the packages of just breast meat that they cut up at the end of the day but passed on it. I'd have to divvie it up and repackage it and I'm not in the mood. Ir's great for summer meals though, salads, sandwiches, tacos etc,

I'm never in Costco later in the day and have never seen those packages of chicken either. They sound super.

We have a late morning food recovery but I wanted to post a few Chinese New Year food photos. The first pic is prep for pork dumplings. Minced bok choy ribs (green tops saved for soup), green onion, ground pork, five spice, Szechuan peppercorns and home pickled ginger. Also, a little soy sauce and sprinkle of cornstarch to bind the moisture. SO was a big help making dumplings. They were cookef in batches; five per person.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

And here is the soup. I steamed large shrimp, then shelled them and made stock from the shells and steaming liquid. Also added Szechuan peppercorns. These are very unique, not hot as might be expected, but have a flowery fragrance with a note of pine. After straining the shrimp stock, a quart of homemade chicken stock was added. Then came bok choy, mushrooms, green onions, previously marinated and sautéed bean curd and the shelled shrimp. There were raw bok choy ribs under the shrimp. The soup surrounded an island of jasmine rice topped with homemade pickled ginger. Almond cookies too.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Meezers, you have me in the mood for chicken salad.

Laurel, what a beautiful dinner.

We had a big ol pot of chili, with corn chips/tostadas. Tonight, dinner out for a birthday.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I was there early-ish, about 11 a.m. I cut up breast meat for chicken salad with apples and grapes, celery, whatever roundish pasta I have on hand, sometimes toss in a handful of garbanzo beans or peas. I've been trying to make smaller batches but it's one of those things that seems to expand rapidly in the making. It's good for another day in the frig and we don't mind eating it two days in a row.

Laurel, now you've increased my desire for good Chinese. That looks luscious.

somewhere, PA

I am outside a few times a day - but just brief walks to the barn and mailbox. :-)
I did get to the pottery studio today to spend some time on the wheel.

Dinner is squash lentil stew. Not as luscious as all those chinese dishes but also a lot faster to put together & cooking requires no effort.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Just some chicken tenders and green beans here. Snore food. LOL

Virginia Beach, VA

we enjoy Chinese New Year!! There a group of 14 who meets at the club once a month and special ocassions. My favorite is the big whole fish crispy fried and with fermented beans and [email protected]

Belle

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Lamb curry and a green salad...

Youngest son dropped by to visit and eat (and eat and eat) yesterday. We had bbq beef stew with farro and Greek salad. He had a huge roast beef sandwich first. The kids asked me to make dumplings and soup again so I agreed to do it tonight. Will also make egg foo yung.

Belle, I love pompano done that way and the best catfish I've ever had was prepared like that. Double yum! I wanted to ask about the eggplant you cooked...did you flour it before the egg and panko? You have to seal in the moisture before dipping in egg.

M5, well you know we eat lamb and curry often here. Love that.

Tammy's lentils subliminally suggested to me, and we had lentil mulligatawny for dinner, I prepped, and Mark added water later in the day and cooked it, while I was at work.
And made a double batch of coconut pecan skillet granola. So, about five cups or 24 ounces. It may not be any cheaper than cheap Aldi granola, but it's probably better, fresher, and way less packaging going in the recycling bin. Mine has some molasses, coconut oil, and today it was almonds instead of pecans. I feel good about making it.

Sally, now that you are full time, you and Mark seem to have worked out a smooth kitchen schedule. As for granola, I used to make it often. It disappeared too fast and, since I don't eat cereal, I quit making it.

Photos of the dish with a spelling identity crisis...egg fu/foo yung/young/yong. Fun to make and always enjoyed.

somewhere, PA

LOL on the spelling crisis Laurel No crisis with the dish though. It sure looks good!

We'll be having a lot of Squash lentil stew this week - I made a huge crock full and have no hungry sons to help polish it off. lol

Virginia Beach, VA

Laurel
Thats what I missed, I did not flour to seal
.Thanks

Spinach Quiche, pasta with pesto, and broccoli.
If I planned better, there would have been butternut instead of broccoli, and diced Roma tomatoes on the pasta. Oh well. It was a very green meal. lol.

Son 1's birthday is tomorrow. he asked if he could make burgers for our dinner. Not sure whassup with that, but we'll accept. Girlfriend is bringing cupcakes. This is the birthday we celebrated out on Sunday- I had lovely scallops.

We had big baked potatoes, collards and a couple of ribs each. I cooked a stock pot full of spicy collards over the weekend. We'll be eating those throughout the week.

Got a jump start on dinner for tomorrow with the creation of the "porkobello" burger. There was 4oz ground pork left from dumpling making. Added two diced portobellos, minced onion, bread crumbs, an egg, fresh sage and Cajun seasoning. It yielded two sizeable semi-veggie burgers. :>) Toasted tortas and a salad coming up. We have an afternoon film festival date with friends and lunch out so an easy dinner for two is planned.

somewhere, PA

Yum Sally! I sure would go for the scallops too!

Today was veggie graze! I had a green salad, roasted brussels sprouts and baked sweet potato fries.

Laurel, that all sounds tasty.
Tammy, your veggie graze sounds great.
We ended up with caesar salad with chicken, by Son1, and chocolate cupcakes by his girlfriend. I took off work 2 hrs early because I hadn't planned ahead, and since they were cooking after all, I had a little bonfire in the backyard and got some nice outside time instead. Crackling fire, chirping birds.. music to my ears.

Spring is in the air here too. Hope the weather doesn't come crashing down. The Cymbidiums have been enjoying a lot of outside time this winter. They like it cool but not freezing.

We have our second Jewish Film Festival movie tonight and will meet other friends for dinner at a Mediterranean place near the theater. Dozens of films are showing throughout the day and into the night for the next two weeks. Almost every movie is sold out down to the last seat. We end up at theaters around the city based on our schedule availability and the movies we selected. Having fun exploring new eating out options. We have two more movies next week so there will be more dining options to consider.

Atlanta is quite the busy town, so much going on!

Crabcakes, corn 'souffle' and coleslaw- would add cantalope but I am holding it a couple days to try and get a little riper. Great meal if you substitute chicken for the crabcakes, too.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Popeye's chicken strips and fries. We have never stopped there, so this was a first. Back to better choices tomorrow. :>)

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

You should try their shrimp po' boy! Yum. I don't care for their fries. Ideally, I'd have their po' boy, and Burger King's fries, and a root beer float from anywhere. LOL
We had Pad Thai, and crab rangoon. It's Pho-burary and all the soups are $5 throughout the neighborhood which has a half dozen or so Thai/ Vietnamese or fusion restaurants. Came home and had chocolate cake.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I came home and had chocolate chips. LOL

I would never expect a lot of Thai and Viet up in Wisconsin. Cute though, Phobuary.

we haven't gotten fried chicken in ages. Years! I think our Popeyes has a Tuesday special.

Someone posted Aldi selling avocados for 59 cents this week. We saw snack food specials at the regular store - I only grabbed an extra bag of shredded cheese with an expy date in June.

No special Superbowl plans here. No cable TV so we won't even watch.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

There is a substantial Asian population in Wisconsin, particularly SE, as we took in a lot of Hmong, and Vietnamese about 10 or 15 years ago. Many were sponsored by Christian groups to starata a new life here. Some settled in rural communities, but a lot came to Milwaukee and settled in the south side of the city where housing was cheaper and there was transportation for jobs and shopping. We see a lot of them at different farmer's markets selling beautiful produce, displayed like art work.

Yes, your area and Minneapolis-St. Paul were among the largest. The resettlement of the Hmong was a major political hot mess. They helped the U.S. during the Vietnam War and ended up spending years in refugee camps because we initially barred them from entry. There are some Hmong in Atlanta but most in the South are in N. Carolina.

We are having vegetable chowder topped with grated cheddar and a salad with homemade croutons. Our dinner out with friends ended up being Middle Eastern, not Mediterranean. I had an eggplant dish topped with tomato and beef sauce. There was cheese in there too. It was served with something like buttered Rice-A-Roni but the pasta was angel hair. Nice. We followed dinner with the movie classic, Radio Days, and an introduction by a head of Turner Classic Movies.

I did know the Hmongs were up there somewhere...up in some cold place ... lol

Chinese buffet lunch today.
Before leaving for lunch and afternoon of seed swapping, I put about three pounds of chicken breast bones in slow cooker with onion, parsley and bay leaves. Came home to broth, threw in mixed frozen vegetables, okra, ditalini, seasoning, canned tomatoes, voila, nice veg soup.

I've done some unusual entertaining but this is a new one on me...the E's are going to a Super Bowl wake. Honest! DD's childhood guy-friend's grandmother passed away and his parents are hosting a Super Bowl, pot luck wake. The grandmother supposedly was a huge Falcons fan at ninety-something. On the other hand, we are not team sports fans at all so we are taking Lil'E swimming this afternoon and out to dinner at Sweet Tomatoes (as if we don't eat enough salad), then watching Ratatouille.

somewhere, PA

We were at a Super Bowl Party Sun. Just to visit old friends! Last night we were out for dinner at a new Greek restaurant. The food was good and the company fantastic.

If not for the people part of the Super Bowl party, I would definitely have chosen Lil'E's evening!

Latest pottery. Most are not for cooking but all could be used to grace a dinner table so I think it counts!

Thumbnail by Tammy Thumbnail by Tammy Thumbnail by Tammy

fabulous!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I really like the glazes and designs. I'd be happy to put those on my table.

Edited because glazes got auto corrected to glasses! Coulda been worse....

This message was edited Feb 8, 2017 12:05 PM

Tam, no matter what the intention I hope you continue posting your work.

Been eating well but simply. Miso broth with vegetables, shrimp and tofu over rice noodles a few nights ago and squash casserole, stuffed portobello mushrooms and roasted sprouts & asparagus last night. Filet mignons are marinating for tonight. We'll have leftover vegetables and an arugula salad. We have the third of four film festival movies today. I'll make the salad now and dinner will be covered. Also seasoned an organic brined chicken and tossed it on a bed of leeks for future plans.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I have some country ribs in the oven for lunch.

Tuesday, I said Well, we can have hotdogs and mac and cheese.." and Mark said I love hot dogs. What a great hubby,

Yesterday was quinoa and black bean dinner, along with butternut squash and tossed salad, felt very macrobiotic. Is that a term anyone uses anymore? I don't even know for sure what it means.
Squash family vegetables are the only thing I can think of alongside tex mex of any kind. I don't imagine anything brassica with that kind of food, and any beans seem repetitive. I was glad to spot my last butternut for last night's meal.

somewhere, PA

Sally - macrobiotic means you are feeding the good gut bacteria. And yes, its still used. :-)

I found my girls egg stash before they went bad so we're back in delicious eggs! I made a mushroom & kale omelette last night. It was really good. The mushrooms were a mix from the farmers market, as was the organic kale.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.