It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Taught a Bread Class

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I taught a basic bread class and then, focused on SD bread and starter. I limited the class to 20 which was really too many. 35 people showed up! They just kept coming in the door.
I made cinnamon rolls to pass out at the end of the class and had made 5 various loaves of sourdough bread they drew names for. I also shared several of my favorite recipes.
I shared my SD starter with about 6 people. Then, they sent a paper around if others wanted SD starter. I have made 2 quarts of SD starter for 9 more people.
I'm teaching a second class because there was so much response. I find it amazing that so many people want to bake bread in this fast food, eat out generation.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I think there are more people out there that want to learn about baking. There is nothing better tasting than homemade warm bread. Yummmmmmmmmm!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, homemade bread smells great. It tastes pretty good too. :)

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

With butter and honey or strawberry jam. :>) I LOVE to bake bread.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I like it with butter, sugar/splenda and cinnamon.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

A couple of summers ago I tried my hand at making Naan after trying some on our African trip. One of the well-traveled gals in the group told me what it was and said "it's not very good naan". LOL A-ha.............a challenge..............I asked my neighbors to let me know when they were going to heat up their wood fired pizza oven, and I'd bring over some naan. They did, and I did............since I had NO idea what good naan was supposed to taste like, I asked "neighbor" (who is also well-traveled) if it was good and she said 'Oh, it's perfect". LOL I would like to try it again, only with a raised dough.

I have also jumped in and made Kouign Amman. THAT is a challenge. :>)

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I like Naan but don't make it.
I keep my bread baking pretty simple.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Can you all share some bread recipes with me?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm trying a whole rye flour bread.............it's rising as I type. I thought it strange that the recipe didn't take any oil or fat in it.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I rarely bake loaves that include fats. The exception is challah and some Italian breads that involve sponges with oil. But it seems most English/American-style loaf pan breads have fats. These more closely resemble commercial loaves.

We have a wood fired oven that makes the best flat breads including naan, chapati, pita and pizza. I mostly make flat breads or artisan loaves and challahs for holidays.

Anna, I answered your rye question on another thread and gave you instructions. What did you end up doing for a recipe?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Laurel, I did not see it.....was it on 'what's for Dinner" thread? I posted it while you were "lost" and figured you didn't see it. I'm using all rye flour.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I believe so. You asked about using all rye and answered.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Ok.............I am old and don't remember. :>) I made it with all rye. I will crumble it up and throw it in the bunk for the heifers to eat. LOL It was NOT good. So, I guess I will look for another recipe.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Lavin: All of the breads I make are Sourdough breads as I have a sourdough starter that has to be maintained. I find the sourdough breads last a little longer on the shelf as the lactic acid keeps the bread from spoiling. If you were near, I'd give you some.
I use a lot of recipes from King Arthur Flour website. They have a lot of recipes with very simple instructions. I would suggest you try some of them. There's a lot of bread recipes on the internet. Go to www.kingarthurflour.com
I will be making sourdough raisin bread today and a I need to bake a seeded sourdough bread today also. It's waiting for me in the refrigerator.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I got sour dough starter on cabinet . I have used it for years
And I order from King Arthur a lot LOL

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

:) !
I don't order from KA. Just use their recipes.
Do you use "any" bread recipe and convert it to sourdough? I do.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Never thought of doing that. I have slowed down on my baking since hubby died last October. But I need to start back.Mine freezes good and I have 4 batches in freezer plus mine stuff on cabinet cause I do pancakes sometimes

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Lavina, My condolences on the loss of your husband.
I make SD bread and take it to my banker, my dentist, my optometrist, the butcher the baker and the candlestick maker. Well, you get the idea. I make the Rustic SD Bread on King Arthur. It's so simple and so easy and so dependable.
I make SD Waffles that you basically mix together the night before and make the waffles the next morning. I put nuts in the waffle iron to roast a little bit then, pour the waffle batter on top of the nuts. Yum.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Birder, I love to make raised waffles. I shamelessly spoiled my sons by making those and serving with lots of butter and REAL maple syrup.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

The waffles sound good

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

They are......I have not made them in ages.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.