spring 2017

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice tulips indeed.
Tulips ended here a long time ago, we had such a super early spring.
But we seem to have relapsed into winter - last weekend a complete rainout.
(Two interstates in town still completely closed due to residual high water!)
And high temp tomorrow 49! Hope it's a little warmer for the weekend!
I'd like to finally get outside to get to the zillion chores awaiting.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I agree with Evelyn, lovely Tulips! I'm even enjoying the wavy foliage of the Parrot.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That black parrot tulip is very classy and the pink has perfect form. It has been a decent tulip year. A few for now.
1, 2. This was Ancilla from April 1st, first tulip this year.
3. Honkey Tonk among a border of checkered lilies that just finished. I thought they might bloom together like the bunch I have in a sunny patch, but no. That's Ok though, it worked out to be a good succession and the thin foliage of both doesn't clash.
4. This was one of those red mixes Lowes was selling. I added two packages of Estella Rijnveld and one of Happy Generation. As far as I can tell, the box only contained solid red tulips, single and double. All the fringes and stripes and picotees on the box photo is a lie.
5. Here is a picture of the purple mix from Lowes. I added the Orange Emperor. Again, barely any purple and only solid doubles and singles of the same shade and more of a very large white than any purple. Lesson: don't buy mixes from Lowes.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Beautiful Loretta, Ancilla looks like it's stemless. I'm going to get some or those and the Honkey Tonk, They're both amazing. Your creativity sure made the Lowes mixes look good. Very nice!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Loretta ~ "Don't buy mixes, period!". That's my motto.Then you know what you are getting, and you can make your own mixes. Still, 'Estella' looked rather lovely with the red tulips.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Loretta , the Ancilla is beautiful it's the first time I heard that name . The Honky Tonk are different I hope I can find some to add to my garden.I usually buy my bulbs from a Garden Center and they have individual pictures for every bulb so when you choose a bulb you put the accompanying picture in the bag.I just love the idea that they have there so you know exactly what you are planting. I will try to buy some more Red Parrot this year since I am fascinated with its leaves.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I tried mixes this year because I can never time my matches on my own well. The first shot here is the purple tulip mix with the orange emperor. You see the hyacinth to the side? That was part of a hyacinth mix that was suppose to be violet, yellow and salmon. It turned out to be pink, yellow and blue with one or two apricots. It took me a while to remember what it was suppose to be but I knew I wouldn't buy pink hyacinth. The second is a shot of just the yellow and blue from the mix with the one salmon from the lot. I avoided photographing the bunches with pink.
The third shot is an old planting of the same mix that never flowered well but shows two of the colors in the mix minus the yellow. Oh well. There were more mislabeled mixes that I didn't photograph. I had a yellow and red double tulip mix at the community garden but it had oranges and pinks mixed in. Hey, I still enjoyed them.
#4 This was a tulip at Stonecrop Gardens where I attended a plant sale. This tulip had striped foliage. Not a good picture but I thought it was interesting.
#5 A green tulip at Stonecrop Gardens.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Theres a whole new school to learn pairings, Time of bloom, height of bloom and color continuity for the color wheel. That could be a lot of fun, or a lot of work, or both

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Loretta_NJ that Orange Tulip with the variegated leaf is beautiful. The cultivators are really doing some experiment on the leaves and your color grouping is nice, I have just learned to group my bulbs.

Quote from Mipii :
Theres a whole new school to learn pairings, Time of bloom, height of bloom and color continuity for the color wheel. That could be a lot of fun, or a lot of work, or both

Yes, Robin! Both! I am working on that constantly. (On the other hand, as I weed....weeds pair with everything, like it or not! LOL!!!) Lots of green on the color wheel!!

This message was edited May 6, 2017 12:33 PM

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lol! Very true, there is always a weed to go with everything!
#1 I did try Tulip World for the first time this year. This was one of their mixes and it worked. No specific names given.
#2 Close up of the daffodil.
#3 Dallas which just shattered. Smallish flower on tall, thin stem.
#4 Princess Irene and Ronaldo a mix recommended by Sarah Raven, bought separately. It did work but the arrangement needs work.
#5 I'm in love with Muscari 'Grape Juice', also from Tulip World

It seems you can't post more than once in a row now.

This message was edited May 7, 2017 10:37 PM

Oxdrift, Canada

Those are very nice shots Loretta. Beginning to think summer will be over before I can join in. Staying really cool at night and also having trouble with deer chomping on things

Quote from oxdriftgardener :
Those are very nice shots Loretta.

I agree!

Quote from oxdriftgardener :
.... and also having trouble with deer chomping on things

Keith ~ They are here, day and night...always watchful and waiting for me to leave the gate open. I have a small fenced garden area. I will be in big trouble if I don't close the gate.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My deer are awful - increasing year after year since ever expanding suburbia chips away at their former haunts. They are a large reason why I've started doing a lot of container gardening - on a big porch which the deer can't get to - at least not yet!

Loretta, I have also noticed that I sometimes can't post multiple pix (4 or 5) more than once. But if my second post just has one or two pictures, it lets me post. Strange.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Quote from Weerobin :

Loretta, I have also noticed that I sometimes can't post multiple pix (4 or 5) more than once. But if my second post just has one or two pictures, it lets me post. Strange.

Ok I remember you mentioning that but I never had trouble before.

Deer are in the neighborhood but I have a hedge an front on my house and it seems to discourage them.

Quote from Weerobin :
My deer are awful - increasing year after year since ever expanding suburbia chips away at their former haunts. They are a large reason why I've started doing a lot of container gardening - on a big porch which the deer can't get to - at least not yet.

Even the color bowls under the window got a good munching...

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is that a log cabin? Nice! I love the shelf and the whole display.

This message was edited May 10, 2017 10:03 PM

Quote from Loretta_NJ :
Is that a log cabin? Nice! I love the shelf and the whole display.

Yes ~ Loretta, my husband built this house with a "Real Log Home" kit, doing 95% of the work himself. The basement was poured by pros, and the latest roof, we had installed. (And Leaf Guard Gutters!) That was a big help, as we get loads of pine needles and oak leaves up there.
We used to get up on the roof and sweep them off.

We previously had a window box, and eventually needed to be replaced.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

You have a talented husband! I love the textures of the house.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

A little bit of foliage, hopefully this will post.
1. My recent loot. Check out the two delphiniums, both New Millennium, 'Cobalt Dreams'. There was one more variegated item but that one just looked like it was deficient. The rest were solid leaves. Then there are two lupines and a euphorbia 'First Blush'.
2. The NARGS plant sale at Stonecrop Garden. I have to come back and edit this list. I want to see if it will post first.
3. Spotty Dotty returns for a third year! Not so well marked as I expected it to be but it left early last year so I'm just glad to see it come back. Anyone else grow podophyllum?
4. A close up of polygonatum asianthum 'Kon Chiri Shima' from Broken Arrow.
5. This is a hydrangea from Opus, Mountain Mania. It died to the ground but is returning. I grow it for the leaf color. It's like having a hardy coleus. He has redder selections that I think he prefers. This one is in shade. I'm suppose to plant it in sun for more color.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hey, let's try just a couple more.
1. Dwarf Iris, 'Urban Star'
2. Anemone, Snow Drops
3. Anemone, Vestal, recent purchase from the NARGS plant sale. I'm not sure the name of the vendor but she had a lot of interesting plants.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Loretta, looking good!
Around here, it's rain, rain, rain ...
A few survivors ...
Melittis melissophyllum Royal Velvet Distinction
Myosotis palustris Southern Blues
Thalictrum Black Stockings

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

And a few shrubby guys strutting their stuff:
#1 Calycanthus x raulstonii Venus
#2 Sinocalycanthus raulstonii Hartlage Wine
#3 Syringa reflexa
#4 Clematis Fleuri
Lots of other guys not quite ready for prime time ...
I'm hoping for a dry weekend - we'll see!

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I am always amused by my gardening mistakes.
Here are just the latest examples I ran across this weekend:
#1 is a pretty variegated polygonatum - but I obviously planted it before the hosta showed it's growth - I guess for now, I'm leaving them both together.
I presume at some point I'll need to separate them.
#2 is a cute dwarf hosta which I obviously planted in midst of another larger hosta before the latter showed any growth in spring... I guess I'll have to move it also ...

I've never pretended to be the most organized gardener !

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

Quote from Weerobin :
And a few shrubby guys strutting their stuff:
#1 Calycanthus x raulstonii Venus
#2 Sinocalycanthus raulstonii Hartlage Wine
#3 Syringa reflexa
#4 Clematis Fleuri
Lots of other guys not quite ready for prime time ...
I'm hoping for a dry weekend - we'll see!

I absolutely LOVE your Syringa reflexa! Where did you get that?

Amazing photo's everyone! There's that perfect postcard window again with the color bowls! I love it and would NOT ever want to move from there. Exquisite!

Loretta, nice haul from NARGS, I'm looking forward to seeing them in place after they settle in to there new home. I enjoyed your pairings too.

Wee, your Spring show is fantastic with all your little exotics, heck your mistakes are even worth the price of admission. I'm sure even seasoned gardeners make those same mistakes. That's some great variegation on your Polygonatum!

1. Cytisus scoparius 'Burkwoodii'
2. Aquilegia 'Melba Higgins'
3. Leucanthemum vulgare
4. Fragaria x 'Pink Panda'
5. Tall bearded iris 'Harvest of Memories'

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

First post on DG. Here are some blooms around the house

1. Tall Bearded Iris
2. Bleeding Heart
3. Allium
4. Comfrey

This message was edited May 12, 2017 10:53 AM

Thumbnail by Kisan Thumbnail by Kisan Thumbnail by Kisan Thumbnail by Kisan
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well, Kisan, we are honored that you decided to do your first post here! Welcome to DG! Your pictures are beautiful. That iris has a glow about it and your comfrey looks very healthy. Is that a russian comfrey?

Evelyn, Pink Panda is adorable and I love your Cytisus. I had one for a couple of years and it looked great but apparently, you can't cut them back because I killed it that way.

Wee, Black Stockings makes a nice statement and I had to look up Melittis, another interesting plant I don't see around. The sweetshrubs are nice. I'll have to go by the arboretum and see if they are blooming here. Finally, does the lilac have fragrance? I like the flower form.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Loretta, Thanks for the warm welcome and yes that is a Russian comfrey.

Here are some more blooms

1. Pansies
2. Clematis
3. Rose

Thumbnail by Kisan Thumbnail by Kisan Thumbnail by Kisan
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Some of my Iris
Pictures never went on

This message was edited May 12, 2017 7:46 PM

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Katgroves, try posting them again - it's a little clunky but eventually should work.
We want to see those irises!

And I'll second Loretta's welcome, Kisan.
I have a variegated comfrey a friend gave me which was totally dead upon arrival but amazingly rebounded, but has been mowed down each of the last 2 years by deer so it has never flowered. I now have fortifications surrounding it, so we'll see what happens.

As for my lilac reflexa, it has a very nice fragrance and I love it's gracefully drooping blooms. And it's leaves don't get that powdery mildew - at least not for me.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Here are a few of my 'rock garden' experiments.
They're actually in containers on my porch, since it's my only sunny area.
Alpines aren't always appreciate of our steamy summers,
but here are a few survivors.
#1 is Scutellaria indica var parviflora - a very tiny plant.
#2 is Potentilla dickinsii Nana.
#3 is Campanula chamissons, spreading nicely over a couple years.
#4 is Saxifraga petrophila

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

A couple more treasures from my woodland
#1 is Cypripedium pubescens
#2&3 is a different species of bluebell, Mertensia pterocarpa var yezoensis.
The same pink-in-bud opening to sky-blue flowers.
The nice blue-green foliage almost looks like a dwarf hosta.
#4 is one of my stable of chloranthus's. I have 3-4 different species, variants on a theme. All have big fleshy leaves w/ drooping racemes of white flowers in spring. Easy in the woodland. Not super flashy but I'm fond of it.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Katgrove, you have to try again. We need to see those irises.
Kisan, good pansy face, love them. They only last until June here. I skipped them a couple of years to control the workload but I missed them so they're back. Is that rose trained on the wall? Do you know what clematis that is? The ruffled edge is nice.
Wee, your garden is one of the few gardens I "visited" that I would not be able to name many of the plants at a glance. Always something interesting and new. That bluebell has a nice habit. I like the leaves on the chloranthus too so I picked one up at the rock garden sale. The Scutellaria, I've tried that one from seed but it never germinated. Unfortunately scutellaria altissima did. That was a bad trade idea. Spreads, it's hard to pull plus it's a lot taller than yours.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. The usual bluebells. I think I got this one in a swap a couple of years ago.
2. Fothergilla Mount Airy, I guess.
3. Candytuft and Euphorbia - forgot which one but it's the one they tell you not to grow because it spreads and they were right.
4. Some Tiarella from the clearance rack last fall. Came back. Not sure of the cultivar.
5. Dwarf Iris, Baltic Blue

Quote from Loretta_NJ :

Evelyn, Pink Panda is adorable and I love your Cytisus. I had one for a couple of years and it looked great but apparently, you can't cut them back because I killed it that way.

I cut mine back every year. This last year, I did not cut them back and the snow broke a lot of branches. I usually cut them all back several times after they bloom. I have had mine for over 10 years.

Loretta ~ Your pictures are lovely. Thank you for sharing.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Loretta, your mertensia is such a beautiful pale blue - is that a photo artifact or is it really that light a color? I think it's lovely! My 'regular' bluebells have been done for a couple weeks (#1).
Which chloranthus did you get? My fave is C. japonicus. It opens super early (early April around here). Crisp white flowers emerge almost simultaneously w/ the dark green leaves, a pretty contrast. #2 is C japonicus. The one I posted above is C henryi.
I couldn't get cytisus to grow, so I'll enjoy yours Evelyn.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.