SOLVED: ID for potted azalea, red & white, February bloom time

Croton-on-Hudson, NY(Zone 6b)

I am trying to ID a potted azalea that is in bloom indoors now. I was given it as a gift last year and am happy that it bloomed again this year. Can anyone help with a cultivar?

Thumbnail by mygardens
Lynnwood, WA

color may be faded however it does look like japonica Sachsenstem

Thanks Handroanthus. I googled japonica Sachsenstem and not much comes up with this name so I am still open to suggestions, The flower is not faded at all. It is white in the center and has red at the end of the petals.

Thumbnail by mygardens
Lynnwood, WA

yes I found the same results when searching for Sachsenstem here is a link of a picture of the plant in question however it may not be an exact match

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/63/9d/47639daff2de0a968922c876511bf6ea.jpg

Handroanthus - Very interesting. The flower looks the same but the stamen on mine is white and on yours it is red. Do you know if this is a potted azalea or a landscape azalea?

Lynnwood, WA

I am assuming that both are potted or a result of greenhouse culture production. Initially I did not notice the difference in color, after looking the picture that I provided a link for, it does seems as if the flower parts in question are fading or past their prime which may explain the difference in color.....or maybe not ;)

I just noticed you were in NY and I was just in Scotia and Mechanicville not that close to C-O-H but same state...small world afterall

Welcome to NY. Hope your trip was enjoyable! Just found out this azalea was purchased at Home Depot. Not much chance to find an ID from them. I'll just leave this up a bit more.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.