The Annual Photo Contest is open. Enter your best images Here

Has anyone ever planted their bulbs late?

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I really got stuck this year as it has been a bit odd. I suppose that everyone knows that California has been getting a lot of rain and snow this year, compared to the last few years.

Yes, I think that we are finally out of our drought this year, for most parts of California anyway, but that did present me with a problem. I had a good size batch of bulbs pre-cooling in the refrigerator in the garage. (No room in the fridge in the kitchen, and forbidden by the "chef"!!) I don't always pre-chill them, but it was hot and dry when I received them.
They stayed in there for the recommended time. Then the rains came...Then the snow came. A little bit more than the last few years. So I put them on the back porch, in hopes of putting them into pots of various sizes. I forgot about them for a while then, in between storms, I started to open the packages. Yikes!!! Many were moldy and some were dried out, but there were some that looked salvageable. Some were perfectly clean and beginning to sprout....

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
This thread has 23 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!