Church Landscape

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm on the church landscape committee. We have decided to pull out some boxwoods that have very little green left on them--just the last 6 inches. The rest is woody.
I'm in zone 6b and this will be on the east side of the church. We have thought about azaleas and roses. The church is the usual "brick red" brick backdrop. I've asked on the azalea and rose forums but thought I'd ask on this forum also as someone might have other suggestions.
What would you suggest?
What other shrubs or plants would you recommend?
And, What roses would you suggest?
What azaleas would you suggest?

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

A picture would help. What are the size restraints and do they have to be neat and trim or could they be more relaxed than boxwood?

This message was edited Mar 27, 2017 7:20 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Birder,

I would have a look at viburnums. I just wrote an article on compact viburnums for Daves that's going to be published, but I can send it to you privately. Classic Viburnums (Gary Ladman's company) has an astounding array of compact viburnums. Most of them have three season - flowers in spring, fruit in summer and fall, and with some it persistes through the winter.

http://www.classicviburnums.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/7157/index.htm

This is viburnum opulus compactum. It's stunning and zone three. Not too big. Here is an image from my former garden. Mind you, this is a full sized one, but it gives you an idea of its beauty.. I have two compactums in my yard now. It blooms without a pollinator.

Something like this could work.

Donna

This message was edited Apr 1, 2017 11:54 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Another suggestion: PJM Rhododendron. This plant has been in my new yard for over 30 years. I am starting to see it in garden centers because its fabulous, and obviously long lived and carefree. The people who lived in the house never fertilized it or watered it.

Right now it looks like the first picture. And it's evergreen, so it never looks bad.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I too was considering Viburnums,
I will check out your suggestions.
Maybe I can get a picture this afternoon, however, it's very over cast.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's a picture of the area we are going to re-do.
This is going from left (entrance) to right (the end of the church).
I think we need to put something tall at the right end of the church to "ground" the building.

Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's helpful. How much maintenance help is there? Is there any support for that?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't think so. It's mostly mowing, trimming and that is about it. I thought perhaps some bulbs that just come up without much dependence on people.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images