It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

What\'s for dinner: part 76

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Latest in a long running thread just discussing daily dinner decisions.
coming from this series http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1437627/

Just another rotisserie chicken ( to the tune of Tequila sunrise)..
THe veggie was a saute of onion, peppers, succotash and okra, a bit novel for us and had some texture. I've been wanting some crunch.
Tomorrow, sausage and peppers. Doneliness being preferable to originality this week... and perhaps for the forseeable future. Creativity in dinner does not come naturally to me after a workday.
But I did see an idea today, prep chicken parts, new potatoes, and olives with an oil toss and seasoning, lay it all on a baking sheet, and roast, preferable while spending a relaxed half hour in the garden before dinner.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

We had shiitake mushrooms in Italian egg fettuccine with prosciutto and thyme.

I'm bordering on embarrassment by difficulty in pairing a wine. Bounced off an Aussie Pinot Noir, then the last of the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano we had opened to pair with the veal shanks on Sunday, and finally a red blend from Washington state. All no-go's.

Rebounded to a Merlot (2013 Round Hill, Napa CA - which I affectionately refer to as Round Heel) and a 2014 Meiomi Pinot Noir, which turned out to be spot on. Whew...

Got...to...keep...spouse...satisfied...

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Just leftover country style pork chops and lettuce with the tasty 25 year old balsamic vinegar.

Virginia Beach, VA

for us it was left over red snapper with black bean sauce garlic and ginger. We mostly have rice 75 % white rice.

Belle

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I've been eating fresh kale salads all week, and, LOVING IT!

Laurel,
I don't think it was the salad after all. Since, then, been having no problem with the gut.

Hugs!

This message was edited May 10, 2017 10:17 AM

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Dinner? Didn't I just make dinner? Ugh. Not a clue. Have to freezer dive I guess.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

We stopped at Arbys.......i had the crispy chicken salad with lite ranch dressing.

John, you'd be horrified/disgusted at me choosing wine. Um, what looks 'nice'.. under 15$?
Made a nice basic chicken soup today when the rain sent me back in the house. Home tomorrow, cloudy, maybe wet, probably stop at a grocery and look for something to make, how about salmon? Had some delicious homegrown asparagus with that sausage and peppers dinner.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Half a rack of ribs slow roasted in the oven, mashed potatoes with some roasted garlic and sour cream mixed in, fresh carrots and a few stalks of asparagus. Slow picking this year.

Bargains are the order of my day. That allows more often indulgence in things that cost more, with a better average struck.

Knowing where to look - and what you're looking at - makes all the difference. It is really no different than recognizing a bargain in purchasing food. A soft avocado is not garbage - it makes great guacamole. Same with noting wine on the clearance rack. If it is from a good vintner, it doesn't much matter if it was originally expensive but now marked down - especially in this age of screwcaps where there isn't even a chance of the wine being "corked".

Of course - this all comes from experience, just as does selecting and preparing food. A continued discussion (over a glass of wine) is just the ticket...

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Works for me...nice sale on meat and sea food at our small local chain, 20% off, so I stocked up on shrimp, stuffed flounder, chicken, etc. Felt good to restock the freezer. Vidalias are in, too, and I always dice a couple pounds to freeze.

Any special use for the frozen diced Vidalias? It is handy sometimes to pull out frozen onions instead of chopping, even as easy as chopping an onion is.
French toast and bacon planned for Mothers day breakfast, then canoeing with the kids. Woot!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I use them in omelets, soups, stews, chili, anything where the texture doesn't matter. Vidalias have a lot of water and sugar which is why they aren't good keepers. I like the milder flavor in a lot of things. You can make onion soup too, but I'd rather use the fresh ones in season for that, because it takes a lot.

somewhere, PA

Thanks for the new thread. I've got salmon patties w/roasted cauliflower on the plan for dinner tonight. Been so busy dinners have not been much - lots of variations on a theme with eggs. Gotta get out to vote & stop for supplies after work tonight.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Our zone 5 temps are going up into the eighties today....very unseasonable. Also good probability of thunderstorms, like we had last night. We'll have burgers, maybe on the grill if the deck is dry, and our first potato salad of the year. I already had boiled potatoes in the 'frig, and thought I should use them and the weather pushed me in the right direction. Llike Tammy we use a lot of eggs, but I have to go to the market to buy them. The farmer I used to get them from seldom has any left as somebody comes and takes them all and resells them at a farmer's market. Probably for much more...and they aren't organic but I bet he sells them labeled that way. Greedy people just set my teeth on edge.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Not a very sterling meal tonight........raclette, home brewed beer, sauteed broccoli, wine, and salad.

A pic of usin the mountains from today. You might be able to see Mt. Blanc in the background. It is the snow covered peak a little to the right of Ivan n the picture. Patrick, my French BIL is on the left.

This message was edited May 16, 2017 2:58 PM

Thumbnail by Anna_Z Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Star Market broiled chicken, Costco seaweed salad and baked acorn squash with butter and brown sugar. First beautiful day in a long time (we're only here Mon-Fri). Not a day to cook. Outside gardening!!!!!!

Interesting dinners!
Great travel pic!
I put chicken thighs in a hot oven with olive oil, lemon juice and oregano, and red potatoes in oil, salt and pepper, another pan in oven, and got some more gardening done. Gorgeous day here.

Alright, Anna_Z - that's hitting below the belt.

Not enough to show off Mount Blanc, but to throw raclette, sauteed broccoli and wine up in my face - that's beyond the pale.

Lo these thirty years, my bride took me on our honeymoon to her homeland and haunts, and one night was in Chamonix. The glacier oozing down to the main drag was an image I'll never forget, as well as the weather produced by the mountain.

It's been too long since I've been back, but the flavors of reminiscence are intense. I hope your trip is overly rewarding - and it reinvigorates me to make sure that we pass that way again soon.

Sauteed cod in olive oil and garlic salt, paired with a 2013 Silvaner trocken (Franken) tonight. Oh my...

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Chicken breasts stuffed with wild rice, fresh asparagus with hollandaise and a green salad with an heirloom tomato and a hard boiled egg diced on top for color. Local market had the heirlooms for $2 per lb so I grabbed four. One big yellow one left which might slip nicely into a toasted cheese sandwich and make it all juicy and good.

somewhere, PA

We had a farmer's market mash-up pasta last night - gorgeous mushrooms, onion & asparagus with wine sauce w/lemon & hot pepper flakes.

Not anywhere close to recipe related (except its a garden sculpture and gardens are where you grow vegetables) but here's my latest piece from the kiln. Spotted Lantern Fly (inspired). We're at ground zero of this new invasive & have been under quarantine for several years, though I understand it is spreading.

Thumbnail by Tammy
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Wine, cheese fondue,wine, fruit, and more wine. I need to go to bed.

Tammy, the winds are amazing there. I'll have to look up spotted lantern fly.
http://www.agriculture.pa.gov/protect/plantindustry/spotted_lanternfly/Pages/default.aspx
Wow, you nailed it, Tammy!
I stopped at the international market yesterday and as usual bought more than I needed. I really like the mild sweet Korean cabbage. The cilantro and green onions are super cheap there. Three packs of Excellent rice sticks for pancit. A jar of kimchi for our son- when I first saw and smelled that as a restaurant inspector, I was really turned off. Son says they heat it and served it warm when he went to the Korean place.

Haven't decided on today's dinner... got time to cook and shop if I decide to.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I've found too at our Asian markets the produce is way cheaper than the supermarket. Sugar snap and snow peas and bok choy about 25% less and look fresh. Today's a good day to make a big batch of marinara to use up some frozen beef and Italian sausage. I need to hit the dollar store for some more containers, mine are looking rather abused and need replacing.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Imam making my fruit stuffed pork loin for our supper. Sis has a nice head of cauliflower so I will steam that too.

Virginia Beach, VA

Hubby invited his morning blitz golf buddies for after golf dinner and we expected 33 but 10 did not show up. We had home made lumpia, pancit , marinated pork shish ke bob, and grilled shrimp on a stick. The shrimp sauce was awesome. It was balsamic vinegar, brown sugar fresh lime and wine, I thickened it with sweet rice powder,2 O my golf buddies came to help and hired some one to fry the lumpia. some friends came for dinner to eat all the left overs. we made sure every guest went home with a doggy bag to get rid of all left overs.

Tammy- wings, not winds, lol

Well we shopped, but once hubby said 'we could go out', and DD said they were coming down and her friend wanted help hemming a dress, I abandoned all interest in cooking dinner. Plus I had gardeneing to do before three days of rain and work. We got cheesesteak subs and pizza.

Yum Anna! I did pork tenderloins the other night but they weren't exciting.

Belle, I tried a packet of pancit seasoning that my Filipino friend gave me. But I think I'll go back to the recipe on the noodle pack. Do you do it from scratch? She's the friend who told me to get Excellent rice sticks. Lumpia are awesome. I've never tried to make them.

Lentil soup today, rain... Mondays I go in pm shift, it works well to make soup in the morning.

Virginia Beach, VA

Good morning
Early riser, getting ready to go to internment of a dear friend in Arlington I dread the traffic following the hearse
I make pancit a lot , I make them from scratch and i have it down path because I make it often for my friends at the club. I put lots of veggie and use chicken. I use only one kind of pancit noodle.
I will give u my recipe next time. I gave cooking lessons at church and made 2 big pans for the hoome less last December

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I have no idea what we will have to choose from for the evening meal here at our French resort. I will let you know later.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I took out a bone-in NY strip for tonight, probably a bake potatos, and I'm going to try roasting some of our fresh asparagus (it's coming in like gangbusters now, after a slow start) drizzled with olive oil, and dredged in panko and parmesan. Saw a recipe the other day and said to myself, why would I need a recipe for it?? LOL Will see if DH likes it other than drowned in hollandaise. .

My asparagus has been trickling, I hope after this rain stops it will get going. But really, I made a huge mistake planting a plum tree too close to it.
Salmon filet, farro with butter, swiss chard with some lambsquarter, and cheesy garlic bread. I'm stuffed.

somewhere, PA

We're enjoying a savory bread pudding - sour dough bread, spinach & feta from the farmers market & our girls' eggs. Really good.

Produce season is ramping up! The first strawberries were amazing so they are on my list for farmers markets finds. (Must get there very early to get them. Was too late Sat)

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Spent the day yesterday getting all the bedding plants in the raised beds, and seeding the chard and carrots, cucumbers, zuccini ( why must you get dozens of zuke seeds, the seed packet costs more than two starter plants?) and today is filling the hanging baskets and then fertilizing everything. Freezer diving or maybe leftover pizza, potato salad from the deli. and burgers. Anything to get it over with. He who doesn't like it can go hungry.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

My sister made an amazing couscous salad when we were there. Of course I got the recipe..............LOL

somewhere, PA

I enjoyed a mushroom w/onion & red pepper omelet for dinner. I hadn't had morrel mushrooms before. This was the second omelet with them and I definitely like them!

somewhere, PA

I've got to figure out something for dinner tonight. I have fresh asparagus. Maybe wild salmon to go with it.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a bunch too, but no idea yet what will march down the aisle with them. Looked at my nails yesterday and got out tools, what a mess. Occurred to me that it might have been a good idea to put on gloves while digging in the garden. Duh.

Salmon and asparagus sounds great, Tammy.
We had a gorgeous weekend for gardening, and yeah, my nails are suffering too. And yeah, I coulda shoulda worn gloves. I did but not enough.

Great gardening goes with minimal kitchen time. So- hot dogs and mac n cheese with our asparagus. Carryout chinese. Today, browned ground beef and added jarred sauce, on spagehetti, salad and store bought zucchini.

I went on a futile hunt for swiss chard starts last week. Mark got the last six in the county, I swear, so I ordered seeds.

somewhere, PA

I decided to have a sweet potato instead of asparagus. Didn't go well with the salmon though. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.