Aloe, Tilt-head Aloe (Aloe speciosa)

(Zone 9b)

Lets see if this comes up on your thread watcher. BTW, I have 1 of these in a large pot that is now about 6 ft tall. I have had it for a long time. Its first 2 or 3 years it lived on its side in a 5 gallon pot under a huge rose tree. Poor thing got no water at all, all that time. I finally felt bad enough for it to pull it out and pot it in its current huge ceramic home. It immediately flourished! Such a survivor!

Hayward, CA

These are hard to find in the bay area. Harder to find in a gallon. I was told by Palmbob it wont be a long wait for it to get to size. Thats good. 20 years for a tree Aloe to get like that in the bay area might be longer than I got-lol.
Magnificent blooms. Take a look at Youtube's Tree Aloe's vid by Epiphyte. THATs what got me to look for them. Lucky though the Dry Garden had one in a far away corner. Pays to look at the hidden away things at his nursery.

(Zone 9b)

I can't remember where I found mine. I love it! Mine has bloomed for the last 2 years.

There is a great cluster of them at Berkeley Bot. I love it when they are in bloom.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/181303/

Hayward, CA

Now,on the lookout for A.africana...huge blooms,and twice a year... it never ends!
Stan

(Zone 9b)

I have that one too. It is in another really big ceramic pot. About 5 or 6 feet tall. It never has bloomed for me.
I remember buying it in a 5 gal pot 7 years ago; it had no trunk yet. I got it at Garden Hortica, now closed. They always had tree aloes. It was a really good little nursery.
http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/21049/

Hayward, CA

I read they did it improve the neighborhood...kind of idealistic. They closed before I even got to visit.
Today- I was cutting away heads of Agave attenuata. When I planted that clump around 2000? They were like all new to the bay area. Now,I see them everyplace. Even in Hayward its planted in the median on Tennyson road.
Funny how so many of what I planted in that period as "new"..is now old.
thanks
Stan.

(Zone 9b)

Why did you cut it the down? Attenuatas are my favorite agaves, esp the variegated ones. But even the plain green one is so spectacular when in bloom.

Hayward, CA

The clump was getting too large- it had started to cover the base of my older Beaucarnea recurvata- it has 3'+ wide base.
If I find A.attenuata "Blue Nova" ? that would be a good reason to replace the plain all green after these years. I have the little Aloe speciosa in ground..as it grows..I can start to remove Yucca recurvifolia next to it.
I have to balance exotic or even rare with the fact Kell...in Hayward in a small yard like mine,anything can happen to a plant. Its held me back to the point I have had to container grow things I wish I could have stuck out there years ago.

Hayward, CA

Today.
The area around the Pachypodium needs to be improved. "Aloe California" is not really growing on me as a center of the yard clump. Its pretty generic.

thanks Kell!
Stan.

Thumbnail by BayAreaTropics Thumbnail by BayAreaTropics Thumbnail by BayAreaTropics
(Zone 9b)

I love your front yard, Stan! Your Euphorbia ammak variegata looks so balanced! No frost damage? Mine got frost damage a couple years ago and looks terrible. They also tend to fall over though yours has arms from the bottom which will help it stay upright.

(Zone 9b)

I just ran across this thread again. I love your front yard! Your Pachypodium is great. Does it flower for you? At the little nursery mentioned earlier, Garden Hortica, they had huge Pachypodium lamerei in clumps in pots in flower. So much fun! Funny all my regrets in life revolve around not buying certain plants when I had the chance. LOL

In my next life I am going to grow a HUGE Pachypodium namaquanum.

Hayward, CA

I had Pachy lamerei in a pot bud flowers..and then winter came before they opened. That was 5' in a pot on the hot side of the house. The one in ground might never bloom as its shaded by 3pm in summers. Good enough for the plant..but not so good for flowers i guess.
The one that bloomed is also now in the ground. It too does not get the hottest sun. I did remove the big Agave variegated americana..that will help the Aloe speciosa. A lot!
I have more stuff in holding to put out front. I have them where nobody sees them..so might as well put them by the driveway.
I saw a young woman-tall and thin like a model taking photos of my yard. Then she walked away. lol. darn!

(Zone 9b)

That was me! LOL

(Zone 9b)

I have 2 Pachypodium geayi with the pink stripe. I bought them at a Lowes in San Bruno. They had such fat trunks filling a gallon can for maybe $6.99. https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/133407/

That Lowes always had the best C & S section. I also have a few Pachypodium lamerei f. cristata but all are grafted. I fell in love after seeing the crested one at Berkeley Bot. That one is a natural crest.
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/366515/

(Zone 9b)

Did you noticed DG has deleted our "Contribution" box on our homepage plus all the links to our photos that got to Bloom of the day. So they have effectually now denied us access to our own photos unless you go to Google and Google each 1 individually. They must be up to no good. I can see no reason for them to do this and their explanation is ridiculous.

I was reminded of this DG action as I could no longer search my own pictures to get the 2 plant links I wanted to share with you. Makes me so mad.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2019 5:26 PM

Hayward, CA

I know. Photobucket became ransomware to my oldest photos. The Cloudforest Gardener went under and took more photo's. Xeric World..it went under.
I see many old photos used by blogs or ebay. It's a good thing they stole them!..worked out for me.
Plus 2 dead hard drives when Hard drives were really bad. Nowadays they are much smaller but much more reliable. Windows 10 helps too. Auto updates to virus and malwares.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.