Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

Roosters

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

Anybody ever introduce two roosters successfully? I have a Barred Rock Rooster in the coop and DH got three large chickens, one being a huge rooster, for me. I have had them in separate coops/fences but I have to put them into the same coop now as I have chicks coming. Should I cage one in the coop until they get used to each other? I don't want them fighting.
Thanks

johnson city, TN(Zone 7a)

You can introduce them , if one is dominate and the other stays away from him they will probably survive together, -but, if they begin to fight, -the cage would be a good idea, you can see just how aggressive they will be. sometimes it is a failure, ending with a fight and the death.of one of them.

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

I caged the Barred Rock for a couple of days and let the other rooster in with the chickens. When I let the Barred Rock out, they did the face-off and a little bit of fighting, but I booted the BR and broke it up. The other rooster avoided the BR for the rest of the day, so I hope that is it for fighting. They were together over night and there was no bloodshed, so things are looking pretty good.

johnson city, TN(Zone 7a)

cool

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images