Benadryl and doggies ..

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Hi ..

Wondering if anyone has ever given their dog a SMALL dose of BENADRYL. I'd like to try our 22lb Westie with 25mgs .. or, half a pill..
Westies are well known for allergies, and one of ours is constantly at her right ear .. many trips to the vet .. but .. I just tend to think Benadryl might do the trick.

Thoughts ??

~M~

This is Zoey, the Westie affected with the itchy ear .. the other 2 are fine ..

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

A while back when my 11 pound Jack Russell girl had coughing fits due to allergies my vet gave me a prescription in pill form for Clavamox and also suggested Benadryl in very small doses but NOT the kind with a cough suppressant. She assured me it was safe but Cassie got over her coughing and I never did the Benadryl. I'd suggest asking your vet the amount of Benadryl to give. I can't remember what it was.

Thanks for the input June .. am trying to get an appointment with the vet, nearest one is July 10 !!!
Will do more research ..

Thanks again ..

~M~

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Marilynne, I don't know if this will help - the video has some great info.
http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/can-i-give-my-dog-benadryl-and-if-so-how-much

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Helpful article, Elsie. These days I head to Google promptly with my emergency questions, mostly "my dog just ate an apricot pit" or "my dog just chewed up a tube of toothpaste"!

If you can get the Benadryl in liquid form (without cough suppressant) and have a syringe with ml measurements it makes it a lot easier than dosing with a pill.

We have a full VCA clinic nearby with an emergency section that is open 24/7. It is a blessing when my vet is not available.

Gahanna, OH(Zone 6b)

Yes, regular Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is safe for dogs. Our vet suggested it for our lab who also suffers from severe allergies. She's nearly 70 pounds and can take 50 mg (2 tablets) twice daily when needed. Unfortunately I can't speak to dosage for smaller dogs, but hope this helps.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

The article Elsie provided says:

The standard dosage for oral Benadryl is 1 mg per pound of body weight, given 2-3 times a day. Most drug store diphenhydramine tablets are 25 mg, which is the size used for a 25 pound dog. Always double check the dosage before giving an over the counter medication. In addition, many formulations are combined with other medications such as Tylenol so make sure Benadryl tablets contain only diphenhydramine.

It might be easier to pare down the liquid to the correct ml dosage. One of my handiest tools is the med plunger my vet gave to me, clearly marked in milliliters.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have used on my boy many times. Usually give the big boy 2. It will make them sleepy.
It can also be used when a thunderstorm is coming.
Sandy

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

My dog had a mast cell tumor removed. It was cancerous. The Vet told me to give her an antihistamine daily since this is what triggers those type tumors. I give her a loratidine (Claritin generic type) since it does not cause drowsiness.
Ask your vet what amount to give your dog.
Recently my other dog got an ear infection and the Vet said there was a new medication that is available to treat it with one application into the ear that lasts a month with no need to mess with inserting ointments or giving antibiotics. Ask your Vet about it. It came in a tube similar to those spot flea treatments and she put it in the dogs ear in the clinic with me having to take nothing home with me. It seems to have done the trick. She also had severe allergies and frequent ear infections.

Windy .. our other female Westie had the treatment you are mentioning .. had it done about 5 months ago and have never looked back .. so .. I'll be asking for that on Tuesday .. I'll wait on the allergy med until I speak with 'new to us vet' ..

I want to thank you all so much .. I am leery about giving our pets anything without asking someone for input ..right now I am also infuriated with our regular Vet clinic for making us wait til JULY 10th for an appointment .. we have brought 3 Westies there for over 10 years and spent thousands of dollars, I would have thought they could have slipped Zoey in with one of the docs. If this new clinic is good, I do think we will change over.

Jeeze .. I am just so pleased that I posted here, you ladies have really helped a bunch :-)
Westies , I have been told, should be the 'poster dogs' for dogs with allergies. .. yoi !

~M~

Here's the crew ..

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Oh, they are just beautiful! I work for a rescue and we see such sad cases that it warms my heart to see beautifully cared for dogs in a safe, loving home.

And Jack Russell Terriers should be poster children for "I will eat anything not tied down". That includes plastic, paper or other forbidden stuff!

Well .. I gave her half a tab of Bendryl (12.5mgs) with no repercussions .. It didn't make her drowsy, and she spent the afternoon chasing the squirrel .
Will wash her ear out and instill some warmed coconut oil, and, give her another 12.5 of Benadryl ..

June, when Zoey became available as a rescue, I scooped her up pronto.. she is a treasure :-)

~M~

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

That is good news, Marilynne.

I was about to head out at dawn to take Cassie to the emergency clinic again since her potty evidence is not looking right to me. She is passing small lumps of hard stool, not at all typical. I did bottle up samples. I called the emergency clinic first first and they suggested I take her to my own vet tomorrow morning to get an x-ray when her stomach is empty. Good luck with that unless they can take me in promptly and early.

I'm not pleased lately with my vet. He seems short handed, rarely available himself lately and not responsive to what could be a dangerous situation for my dog. Or it could be nothing but we have to verify that. The vet clinic that my rescue uses is excellent but it's a 40 minute drive and not in a good neighborhood. If push comes to shove I will call them. I'm feeling very frustrated and concerned.

I did give Cassie a tablespoon of canned organic pumpkin and we will see if that moves anything along. This is the 11 pound kiddo that is causing all this stress! And a picture of the six puppies she had before I adopted her. The puppies were adopted in a heart beat!

Thumbnail by june_nmexico Thumbnail by june_nmexico

All the best with sweet Cassie today June .. I feel your frustration .. as above, we have spent BIG bux over the years at our regular Vet clinic .. not often on an emergency basis.. seems to me compassion has gone out the window ..
The Benadryl and coconut oil kept Zoey quiet and peaceful last night.. just hoping she has a good day today..

Best of luck to you ..

~M~

PS LOVE those pups, and, Cassie as well :-)

I am so thankful for our vets. No need for a appointment if some thing comes up. I watched one of them grow up sense he was 13, his father is semi retired now but there are 6 total there. Have to drive almost 30 minutes but it is worth it.
Sandy

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Hallelujah Hallelujah! No pit found anywhere in Cassie's little body. My mind is now free and I won't worry about how it happened. Best thing is that the clinic owner just hired a new vet and I love her. She went to college with him in Colorado, she and her husband just retired and moved here to ABQ. She will only work two days a week but I can make future appointments accordingly. Cassie rode calmly in the car, behaved beautifully and charmed everyone. The entire Pit Episode cost me $500 but that's how it rolls. I'm glad it is over. The mantra now in our household is "Cassie lives here. GUARD YOUR FOOD!".

Sandy, it's worth the drive if you love your vet. What fun to have a vet that you watched grow up.

Yes and they all love Andre and he loves them, darn dog drags me to the back. I make use he saw each of them saw him and he went for a few visits when was a puppy
Sandy

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

June, great news about the new vet and Cassie. I guess some dogs never get over not having food.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Elsie, that's a good observation. We think Cassie was owned by a backyard breeder since she showed signs of having been bred several times despite her age which is now 7. She may have had to grab food from other dogs at that place or go hungry. She is very peaceable and likely often didn't get enough. She is living the Good Life now!

Yes and they all love Andre and he loves them, darn dog drags me to the back. I make use he saw each of them saw him and he went for a few visits when was a puppy
Sandy

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

June my friend in NH adopted a boxer who had been abused. The first night he ate a loaf of bread. They had to keep all food out of his reach. He would even eat the cat's food. And he ate any Christmas food gift under the tree. His owner was the fire chief and they would walk to the police/fire station. When Duke would get himself loose he would go straight to the police station. It was a big joke. He would sort of get himself up on his owner's lap in the recliner and they would have donuts. He was a love of a dog who could easily knock you over with his tail. For the whole time they had him he was always looking for food.

Awwwwwww ... can't cope with the puppy mill mentality or cruelty to animals ..
Zoey came to us from a family who had her, and, had had her for 6 years, and then had children .. Zoey's 'pecking order' went down, and, she acted out to get attention .. she is still wanting to be #1 with us .. but, has learned it doesn't work that way here, all 3 are equal ..

Zoey has been less ear obsessed today, but, I am still keeping the appointment.

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.