Time to vote on your favorite photos. The Voting page is Here

Show us your succulent containers

Oxdrift, Canada

Four from Oxdrift. 3 more to follow

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Oxdrift, Canada

3 more from Oxdrift

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Phelan, CA

LOVE the containers! They really do the succulents justice! Very nice plants too.

Gainesville, FL

I don't have any but I'll take yours LOL

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks guys . By now I thought this was a dead thread. If I get a chance in the next few days I will post a few of this years. We have had hot weather so good success

Gainesville, FL

Do you make these yourself?

Oxdrift, Canada

I made the rectangular hypertufa pot in position #3 of the first post and the round one in position #3 in the second post as well as a square one not pictured. The rhubarb leaf was given to me by my sister that she purchased from a craft market so it was hand made locally.
I just snapped a bunch of shots of this years collection

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Oxdrift, Canada

The container in photo #5 above is an antique blacksmiths forge that was my great grandfathers. I aquired it in 2014 when my parents sold the farm and refurbished it the next spring

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Oxdrift, Canada

PS. To get back to the original intent of this thread, I was attempting to invite others to share photos of their container succulents LOL.

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

You don't leave your succulents out all winter do you? They are beautiful. I manage to kill mine occasionally, I think I overwater.

Oxdrift, Canada

Hi Ruth. No those babies won't winter outside here. I have a whack of them growing inside under lights right now. Depending on the plant I either take cuttings or transplant the whole plant to keep them over winter. Bigger plants are in a basement window and the rest are under lights
Keith

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

I planted a slew of them into a rock garden this fall, they are supposed to be hardy to my zone, so we will see if they survive the winter. I love succulents, but every burro's tail that I have had seems to die within weeks. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe not enough humidity...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

They aren't hardy in my zone and and I'm 7a. https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2543/

This message was edited Oct 11, 2018 5:12 PM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Here are a few of my succulents:

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Oxdrift, Canada

Ruth,
Would think the only succulents that you could safely overwinter would be the likes of sedums and sempervirens. Definitely not the burros tail. I don't find it at all difficult in my program of in for the winter and out for the summer however it is very slow growing for me. I will take photos of the two I have inside under lights right now. This is the 2nd winter of transplanting the whole plant into the house of the larger one and the smaller one was put outside as a new cutting last spring and I lifted the whole plant and brought inside last month
Cville,
Nice to hear from you. We haven't crossed paths on a thread for some time. Thanks for sharing your succulent photos. Nice.
Keith

This message was edited Oct 12, 2018 8:24 AM

Oxdrift, Canada

Burros tails currently in my basement jungle

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Waukegan, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't have a beautiful collection like yours. I only have these two but here they are. The one in the birdbath needs a little TLC. I'm reading up on caring for succulents because I really want to try more of them. Thanks for your photos. They've inspired me.

Thumbnail by chris_h Thumbnail by chris_h
Oxdrift, Canada

Very nice Chris. I particularly like the one with the burros tails. You are well on your way.
I make my own succulent soil mix. I buy Sunshine Promix BX with mychorize in large bales for all my outdoor planters. For the succulents I mix 2 parts of the Sunshine mix with one part Cherry Stone poultry grit that I get from a local feed store. To that I add slow release plant fertilizer for containers to keep them fed for the entire summer. Hope this helps
Keith

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.