Unidentified Insect!

Yonkers, NY

If anyone could please identify this insect it would be greatly appreciated and subsequently also how to get rid of them. Over the past month (I live in NY) there has been many of these coming in to my downstairs apartment. I thoughtht they might be gnats but not sure. They are attracted to light also btw. At this point I'm desperate now as there are so many of them, i have lived in this house for 30 years and this is the first time I've have this issue. Thank you all

Thumbnail by pdiscool
Minot, ND

I realize that these are quite small, but could you please see if you can obtain a clearer image of at least one of them? They appear to be tiny moths, but don't look like clothes moths...

Yonkers, NY

This shot is little better, it can be zoomed in to get closer in also. Thanks for the help

Thumbnail by pdiscool
Minot, ND

These moths appear to be in the same family (Tineidae) as clothes moths; possibly in the genus Monopis - see http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodges=415 for an example. These are not serious pests, but their larvae will feed on a wide variety of organic materials, including debris found in birds nests, fungi, stored grains (especially if damaged in some way), decomposing vegetation, etc.

Yonkers, NY

Thank you sir! Anyway ideas to put something outside to stop them from coming inside the house?

Minot, ND

Short of hermetically sealing your home, it would be extremely difficult to keep unwanted 'visitors' such as these from gaining entry. Also, given their habits, there is a chance that they may be breeding in the house - check your pantry areas fr any signs of insect infestation and inspect the exterior and nearby trees/shrubbery for abandoned bird nests...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images