It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

CLOSED: Can anyone identify this little guy I found in the bathroom?

San Francisco, CA

He probably crawled up through my window which leads right outside to the garden, a few months ago. I put him in a jam jar, regularly bring him treats, and provided him with plenty of water. He walks my hand happily and fits about the size of my thumbnail if he stood on it (not his body alone, plus his legs as well).

Recently he molted! I saw what was left of his old shell floating in the water. So proud of him...! It was after he had a particularly big fly to eat, which was perfect timing. He was brownish before the molting, but now he's a darker grey.

(I call it "him" but if you can tell if Bucky's female or male, I'd be grateful! I don't know, so I just call it a "he" or "him.")

I unfortunately do not have better photos of Bucky! The first two are from his meal before molting, and the last three are of him after (taken just now!). Sorry if they're too blurry! I might put him on my hand and try to get a good photo if better ones are needed.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2017 11:05 PM

Thumbnail by keian_nr Thumbnail by keian_nr Thumbnail by keian_nr Thumbnail by keian_nr Thumbnail by keian_nr
Minot, ND

'Bucky' definitely is a female; she appears to be a cobweb/comb-footed spider such as Steatoda grossa - see http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/spiders/Steatoda%20grossa.htm for some images. Be careful handling her, as some Steatoda can have a very painful bite (personal experience)...

San Francisco, CA

Quote from Flapdoodle :
'Bucky' definitely is a female; she appears to be a cobweb/comb-footed spider such as Steatoda grossa - see http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/spiders/Steatoda%20grossa.htm for some images. Be careful handling her, as some Steatoda can have a very painful bite (personal experience)...

Oh, thank you so much! I'll be marking this thread as closed, now that I know what my girl is thanks to your help :D

I've seen you on plenty other spider identification posts I've browsed in this forum and wonder how you got so good at identifying these little guys. Is it just years of seeing them and learning about them on your own? I'd like to someday know them as well as you seem to !

Again, thanks for the help :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.