SOLVED: 3 Fruit Trees ?

Are these :

#1 Apple or Pear ?
#2 Olive or Pistachio ?
#3 Papaya or Roselle ?

Thank you.

Thumbnail by newroof Thumbnail by newroof Thumbnail by newroof
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

1. This doesn't look like an Apple or a Pear. Show us more sideview images of this plant, so we can see leaf attachment to stem and other features.

2. This plant has opposite arrangement of simple leaves, so cannot be a Pistachio (which has alternate arrangement of leaves).

3.. I don't know either of those two plants/choices.

Tell us where you are growing these species...

For #1, does this help ?

They're growing on a glassed-in balcony, in plastic takeaway & clear 5-ltr containers. I've been planting a lot of different seeds, mostly from store bought fruits & veges & a few seed packets, throughout the year. There might also be other seeds that came with the soil. If something doesn't pop up after several weeks, I plant something else in the containers, so there might be overlaps.

The plant types were guesses based on what I've knowingly planted(some tagged) & what I thought matched online pictures. Appreciate any help to see if any of them are edible.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2017 7:52 AM

This message was edited Sep 24, 2017 8:05 AM

Thumbnail by newroof
Loganton, PA(Zone 5b)

#1 looks more like a Mulberry than Apple ore Pear . Definitely not pear .

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

By where, I meant "where in the world" as a means of determining what climate, soils, moisture regime, etc. that these plants might be growing in.

If you are growing them in pots from seed, that matters less - but might still be helpful with advice given here.

Oops, misunderstood, ViburnumValley. I'm in a tropical climate. Clay-ish sandy soil. High humidity. Winters are around 3-12 degrees.

beesfarm, I haven't planted (or eaten) Mulberry, as yet. Don't the leaves look like Apple in http://leaningtreefarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/IMG_20150120_155517.jpg except for having green stem instead of red ? Would you have any other plant suggestions?

Is #2 likely to be Olive? A torn leaf sure smelled olive-y.

Still can't figure out what #3 is. There are several of them growing in different pots. The leaves are bitter.

(Zone 7a)

Careful tasting/eating parts of a plant when you don't know what it is. I can't help with the id, but bravo for your very green thumb

Loganton, PA(Zone 5b)

If #1 is an apple and you live in a tropical climate it will probably not set fruit . Apples need some where around 1000 chill hours where the temperature should be below about 45F / 7C to set fruit .

Sydney, Australia

#1 Looks more like a Mulberry
#2 Reminds me of Nerium oleander so for the love of all that is holy DO NOT EAT IT
#3 Looks looks like Carica papaya

esanita, thanks for the "green thumb" remark ! Here's to wishing.

bosiam, thank you, I'll lay off further tasting of #2 until I see a flower or fruit. The #1 Mulberry though, beesfarm said that too, wonder where that might've come from. I've got 2 of these seedlings in different pots. I really want a Mulberry & now if you're both correct, I won't have to buy one ! #3 the Papaya would be good to have atleast for the leaf medicine, even if there's never any fruit. I just couldn't figure out what it was because the leaf looked different from the usual adult papaya design. Guess it changes as it grows.

Thanks everyone for your time & effort.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.