Tree ID (South Florida)

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hey all. I've got this tree in my backyard that I can't identify. I've seen plenty of them around, so I think they might be native, or at least fairly common, but I can't seem to find them in popular South Florida tree books.

The growth habit, in terms of crown shape, branching, etc., looks very much like a mahogany from a distance. Also looks kinda oak-ish to my eyes.

The bark also looks kinda oak-ish to my eyes.

The leaves also look kinda oak-ish to my eyes, haha. But it is definitely not a type of oak. The seeds it produces are not acorns. They do seem more nut-like than fruit-like or seed-like, but are hollow if you squeeze them hard enough.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

Thumbnail by MattyNativeSeed Thumbnail by MattyNativeSeed Thumbnail by MattyNativeSeed
Loganton, PA(Zone 5b)

Looks like Live Oak ( Quercus virginiana ) .

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Thanks for the response! However, definitely not Live Oak. The leaves, while similar, look different enough, and the petioles leave the branch in a different pattern too. But most importantly, it doesn't produce acorns. It produces some other type of nut/seed/seedpod. I've attached a photo. I've tried to attach a photo of the inside too, but it didn't come out well (plus I think some bugs/fungus got to it first)

Thumbnail by MattyNativeSeed Thumbnail by MattyNativeSeed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images