Help identifying Japanese Maple cultivar

Meridian, ID

Can anyone help me identify this cultivar? Ill attach several photos. The bright red photos were taken 10/31/16. The other photos were taken 09/28/17, and show the summertime leaf color. This tree is in the Boise Idaho area (zone 7). Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by cityoftrees Thumbnail by cityoftrees Thumbnail by cityoftrees Thumbnail by cityoftrees Thumbnail by cityoftrees
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks like Bloodgood.

Meridian, ID

It's definitely not a 'bloodgood

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

OK. Agreed. Looks similar to a pot leaf. Try looking through cultivars of Acer amoenum var matsumurae. This looks like a crimson or purple tree that greened up? Did you see it in the spring? If so, look at Suminagashi? Honestly, you will be able to tell which one it is not but you won't know for sure which one it is or if it is just a seedling.

Meridian, ID

Thanks for the reply. It's definitely a grafted tree. The owner of the tree purchased it about 15 years ago and he couldn't remember the cultivar name. The owner asked me if I had any thoughts about what cultivar it is. I had a few ideas; suminagashi and inazuma were two of them.

It's the most beautiful tree I've found in my area. So much so I grafted several to keep for myself:)

Thanks again for your help

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ahh! Nice that you can graft! Now you will have it no matter what the name. Good luck with them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.