Horseradish

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

Has anyone made homemade horseradish? I want to dig up a few roots and try it. I have my grinder ready to go outside so I don't stink up the house. I would rather use a tried and true recipe than use one off the internet and not like it.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, every year but always in spring. There is no real "recipe" regardless of what you see online. I peel and grate mine in the food processor and then switch to a chopping blade after letting the fumes settle down for awhile. We like it coarsely ground. For immediate use I add 3/4-1tsp kosher or sea salt (iodized salt can discolor the product) and enough white wine vinegar to make the consistency desired. Regular white vinegar is fine but sharp tasting. I prefer the mellow flavor of white wine vinegar which is easily available and inexpensive. Let the mixture sit for an hour because it may absorb most of the vinegar & salt and appear dry. Add more vinegar if desired but no more salt. I usually refrigerate a half pint (1 cup) at a time. For future use, I grate the remaining roots and freeze in one cup molds. Then, whenever I want horseradish, I defrost the prepped roots and add vinegar and salt.

I could have sworn I talked about this awhile back but can't find the post for the life of me. The search feature here is something else altogether.

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

Thanks!! I thought I requested a recipe a while ago too and couldn't find it. I thought I was dreaming. Oh well.

The 'old timers' here say that you can dig up horseradish in any month with an 'r' in it. I will probably wait until spring to do it as I think the ground is beginning to freeze here. It was 12 degrees this morning.

Another friend said that she just puts sugar in it, but to me, that would be way too sweet. Cousins of mine just grate it and put a pinch on their rye bread and slice of ham. I tried it once and it cleared my sinuses. An acquired taste, I'm sure.
Thanks again.
Ruth

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Ruth, I'm pretty sure the discussion was with you because I recall the cousins who use it grated on bread. Very Scandinavian, I think. I purposely grate my own because most store brands have sugar which we don't care for at all. It's traditionally served as part of the symbolic foods during the Passover Seder and alongside a poached fish dish during the main meal. Trial by fire for little kids and a good double dare dollop for older kids.

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

Thanks Laurel. Your food always sounds so good. I am just a mediocre cook, I wish I would have paid more attention to my mother when she tried to teach me. As a teenager, that was the last thing I wanted to do. My poor DH ate a lot of mac and cheese when we first got married.
I think I will wait until spring to try it. The ground seems like it is a little frozen already. DS wants to be here to help so I will have him do the grinding. mwa ha ha.
I will have to make sure that I have some fresh bread when I grind it so we can grate a little bit to try.
Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.