Preserving Cranberry Sauce Question

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have a recipe I got on this website from Gita. It is some work and worth it. She says the jars will seal but keep in refrigerator. I am wanting to preserve it and keep it out of the refrigerator but I am not sure if it will work.
Please advise:

3 # apples
3 bags cranberries
3 cups sugar
1 tsp cloves
1 lemon
2 tsp. ginger root
2 small navel oranges
1/3 cup Brandy

So what do you think? Can I use it as is and seal it and put in the cupboard? Or, does it need to be adjusted? If it needs adjusting to preserve, what do you suggest?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I have no idea on the preservation, but could you post the directions for that recipe. Sounds pretty good.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Anna,
I just checked my dave's garden website. I'm leaving for a meeting. I will post very soon. And yes, it's very good!!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Gita's Cranberry Sauce
Since recipe is in thirds, one can reduce recipe if you choose.
I'm going to sterilize jars and put some in my cupboard.

3 # apples (7-8 medium)
3 bags Cranberries
3-4 cups sugar
3 cups water
1 tsp. whole cloves
1 lemon
2 tsp. ginger root
1 large or 2 small Naval Oranges
1/3 cup Cherry or Blackberry Brandy (optional) but very good

Peel, core and very thinly slice apples.
Wash cranberries, coarsely chop in food processor (pulse just until broken up)
Wrap cloves in gauze sachet for easy removal
Zest lemon peel
Grate Ginger Root
Cut Orange/s in 8 sections, remove seeds. Grind entire orange in food processor
In a non-reactive 6-8 qt. pot, add apples,water and cloves. Simmer until it resembles chunky applesauce, stirring occasionally (30-40 minutes).
Add sugar, stirring often for 15 minutes.
Add cranberries. Bring to gentle boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered for one hour stirring often to keep from burning.
Add oranges, lemon zest and ginger. Stir. Simmer 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
At this point, you an taste for sweetness and add more sugar if you choose.

When sauce looks dark red, and uniform in texture, remove from heat and add the Brandy. Mix.
Remove clove sachet.
Ladle hot sauce into jars and seal. Cool. Refrigerate. The jars seal tight as they cool. No need to sterilize jars. This will keep well in refrigerator for years w/o losing any flavor.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2017 8:44 AM

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Anna, just fyi. I visited this weekend with a gal that makes wonderful jams and jellies at a crafts fair. I asked her about canning this sauce. She said I could make it if I did a water bath for 10 minutes. I am going to try it. I will have to buy more lids, however.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.