Let's have some fun..

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

If you want to that is :-) How about a game!! This is one that I used to play with school pals when my parents wanted some peace and quiet. We were pleased to comply since there was always a reward at the end of the contest. OK then, it's very simple. We will take a word/s and naturally the first thing that came to mind is DAVESGARDEN.

See how many words you can make from this. No less than 4 letters, no plurals and no proper nouns. The winner will be the one with the most words of course. Any word can be challenged by another member if they think it doesn't exist...lol!! Let's see shall we give it a week. Once you have submitted your list of words, that's it. You can't add any more OK!! To make it a little easier, please start your thread with your total, i.e. ......26 words (or whatever). Deadline next Friday at 8 pm!! And in case I forget, then someone please remind me...lol!! OK let's go!!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

OHHHHHHH....I like this one louisa!!

"eyes"

I'm game'

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well this might go down like a damp squib because I have just had an attempt at it and came up with 76 words!! That's a heck of a lot of typing. Let's see how it goes, and if there are just the two of you willing to have a little fun, then that's fine with me and just great!!!

You must have some kind of an incredible vocab as so far only 44 for me,lol'

This message was edited Friday, Nov 30th 7:02 PM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

it's early days yet Sis - keep working at it :-)

Hope more join us soon':D 76?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oh I'm in. :)

120 so far, Louisa do you really want all those listed?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well, like I said Sis - didn't realize there would be that many words...eh, but what the heck - we have a week yet...lol!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Baa, don't list them yet!!!!!!!!!

120? I'm gonna need the whole week me thinks,lol'

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Sheesh! I got 30 and I thought that was good!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I'm in, but I haven't started yet! LOL
Joan

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Baa....remember sweetie, no PLURALS or PROPER NAMES. I have 75 louisa.....wonder what I'm missing? Permissable to use "ed" and "er"?

"eyes"

I'm pretty much petered out now and I'm sure you'll all over take me on this one.

Louisa how about who can come up with the longest (valid) word too?

Eyes

Yes I know, there are no plurals or nouns in my list and I can back them all up with the Oxford English dictionary just in case.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sure Baa - I was thinking on that line also. 120 words eh!!! Phew that's setting the pace. Eyes, yes you can use er and ed at the end of the word. By the way, we Brits spell differently.....so Baa, we can't use both American and British spelling for the same word, but I'm sure you knew that. And remember 4 letters or more!!

That's right,different spellings,forgot that' With the er and ed,that really increases the list' There are many new words also that are now created since I was in school,many moons ago,lol' Good luck everyone'

Louisa

(yes, all longer than 4 letters, no personal names, no nouns, no plurals not even when the plural is a very different spelling to the singular)

Can't use American and British spelling for the same word? Does that mean I'm going to have to use an American dictionary and use only American spelling or thats I can't use e.g. colour and color on the same list which in my book would be cheating anyway?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Baa I am using English spelling and I think that's OK - just one or the other, not both. I'm on 121 now and think I've reached the limit. Now here's a thing......and something I didn't think through very well. It isn't going to give much heart for people to post their words if they can't attain 100 or over. What do you think guys?? But then again, there might be some words that have been left out from the longer lists and we really would want to know that. Thoughts please?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, this is the first time I have seen this. LOL Years ago I was pretty good at this but anymore I don't have two good brain cells to rub together. LMBO When we played, all the words that were common (on other lists) had to be stricken and the winner had the most 'original' words. That would surely shorten your lists? Just a thought. :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes peapod, that's how it works. Trouble is we don't have hard copy and it's a little difficult this way. So any ideas!! We have to compare lists as you say and cross off the words that everyone else has. Maybe we should all post together at one given time and compare notes....lol!! Sheesh this might be harder than it looks. So where are all the brains - come help us out here!! Not many takers for this yet, but there is a week to go almost. Hope you are all our there racking your brains...lol!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I do think posting at or near the same time works.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

We can't use any nouns at all? I thought it was only pronouns. Can't we use the words like den for example, which would be a lion's home, therefore a noun but not a pronoun?

I know den isn't 4 or more letters, but it's just an example anyway.

This message was edited Saturday, Dec 1st 4:14 PM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Joan - proper nouns can't be used as in the name of a person or city. Words that require a capital letter!!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks Louisa. I thought I was going to have to throw out lots of my words and I'm not anywhere close to 120 something. I'm still trying though.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

You're welcome Joan and hang on to those words!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Baa inadvertently said no nouns, and that threw me too :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I never noticed that tig!! Sorry!! I see you agree on us trying to post near enough at the same time!!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Well Geez I was going to give it go but I see I am way out of my class here. lol You ladies are good. To much other stuff going on right now to have to use more brain power. (not that I have much to spare anyway) May the best person win.. Looks like its going to be a close call.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Mystic - I just took my notebook to bed and jotted some down - it sure helped to put me off to sleep...lol!!

Good grief,think I'm outclassed here to' Then again,recess was my favorite in school' Paying for it now,dang it'

This message was edited Saturday, Dec 1st 9:45 PM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Looks like the queen of edit just struck again. LMBO
((SIS))

Hey,Michelle,I'm desparate for a crown,thank you,I'll take it,lol'''

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Somehow Sis, I thought you would take glee in my acknowledgement! LOL

I did,I did, Mucho,Mucho for noticing,lol'''

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Shouldn't you be making words???

Yeah but the words I make aren't recognized by anyone but me,lol':D

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I understand you Sis :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.