JANUARY Challenges/Organizing/Sharing our ideas..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Came from here

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1465530/

Well itís 2018, Happy New Year to you amd yours

2017 was quite the year, between illness and stupid falls I didnít get as much done as Iíd hoped. Fell again on icy steps and have been laying on couch for 3 days, do8ng so has given me time to organize some projects Iíd like to do..have kit for 1st block of solstice quilt to do and seeing Christmas is away in totes in back shed I find the house is devoid of color so next holiday, Valentineís Day is a great time to put color back 8nto the house..picked a piece which will use up scraps..

Hopefully by weekend Iíll be up to,sewing again..

What are you planning?

This message was edited Jan 3, 2018 10:21 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I ordered those rulers like you got Betty but they don't work on my machine. My machine is vintage and the extension table sits a wee bit below the arm so they won't stay stuck in place. My fabric slides underneath them and goes crooked. I emailed the company and they said to return them for a refund, quite nice about it actually. Of course the postage is high so I'm paying a lot to not have anything.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is too bad Karen, couldnít work on any of your machines? Your hubby is quite handy could he make you a quilt table? Sharonís ex made her this table this week to fit her machine, maybe he could adapt one to your machine

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Hubby did offer to make a table and I know it would have fit perfectly, Just too used to working with what I have. I like being able to easily slide the table off and a bigger one would be too cumbersome for me. One of the reasons I really like my Berninas is the needle adjustments, 5 side to side settings. I can easily set for a scant 1/4".

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lol, you need to try new...

Too hooked on my old machines. They never let me down and are workhorses.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Have a few I call workhorses as well..nothing like the straight sewing machines

Have furnace set at 75 but Lordy Iím freezing
Think Iíll take a hot bath then might feel like going downstairs and doing something.

Mine all have some fancy stitches, the newest one (1985) has 20. I very seldom use them anymore as quilting doesn't require it.
I'd like to get a more current embroidery machine for making quilt labels. Mine still works but is so old, it's no longer compatible with my computer.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Bought a new embroidery machine last Christmas but sure didnít warrant its purchase.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new room Betty.

Sorry the rulers don't work on your machine Karen.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Worked just over 2hrs on momís quilt, about another 2amd Iím done my part..would have been so much easier to random quilt vs quilt8ng the marked design the company put on it but it will be beautiful if she can finish that one riser and get stains off it..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Finished momís quilt..thank goodness

Any of the blue cross stitch amd Quilting markings will wash away

She didnít want to finish roses in corners so I made a design to fill in

Like it or not itís done

This message was edited Jan 3, 2018 4:21 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

when all the markings are gone, it will be fine! Beautiful, you have a very talented family Betty.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi - still in Winnipeg. Will be leaving Monday morning and will be a 12 hour drive, too. Had mom's service today, and got the chance to stand up and talk about remembrances. It was well received and we gave mom a good send-off.
It was nice to see all the cousins, and my auntie Ethel (my mom's last surviving sibling). We all say it "why must it take a funeral for us to see each other?" Ah well, I did see a lot of people that I grew up with and it was nice.
My great-niece sang my mom's favourite song "Whispering Hope" and did it beautifully, to the accompaniment by her mom (my niece) on the piano. What a beautiful rendition.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, hugs..a.m. sure the service was a reflection of your motherís life ..now for the long trip home..drive safe and watch for idiots on the road.

Pat, feeling same about 2017, that being said said same about 2016 and have had to deal with mega issues, can only hope for all of us that there is a change in out future and itís nothing but health and good things.

Not sure what I will get into today but has to be something off the couch..Brenda an old acquaintance had brought me her granddaughters quilt to do before Christmas, only outstanding thing I have left that belongs to someone else so just might start it.

Either that or I could work on 1st block (40Ēx22Ē) of the solstice quilt

Finally got a top finished. Having a hard time concentrating. Very frustrating. Trying to get another cut out, maybe will do two as it really doesn't take that much longer to have twice as much done.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

That is beautiful!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Love it.. I walkways find when 8m doing a quilt project itís just as easy doing a few

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Beautiful quilt. Very patriotic

My only problem with my mom's service was that my brother talked for 1 hr on remembrances and it upset a lot of people when he started recounting her decline (falls, hurting herself, etc).
Looking forward to going to my sister Ruth's on Sat afternoon, but she's told me she told our brother Stan that he's not welcome. My family IS interesting, if nothing else......

I'm glad you only had that ONE thing mar your mother's service. An hour is excessive!! Oh well.... done now!

Karen, that quilt is stunning. THERE IS SO MUCH I LOVE ABOUT IT !!! I love how the star blocks make circle around the interior block. I love the piano key border in red and white That quilt just WORKS!!!!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

You're so right, Pat - there are many things that have gone wrong in other people's services, and this was something showing an excess of Love, not bad intent.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yikes, a hour yes, so very straining on those in attendance butim sure he did it out of love with wind chill factor today..telling everyone to stay inside if possible, frostbite can occur within minutes of being outside..stay in I shall.

Never did stat onmy projects yesterday, still needing to be a couch potatoe..

Listen to your body Betty, it needs the rest.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Incredible quilt top Karen. Inspires me to get one started for my stepson.

Sue if you make your Son a QOV, I can send you a certificate to give him with it. Just let me know when you are ready.

I would have called in sick today if I didn't have a client return home from Oregon to keep our appt for an assessment today. My leg hurt so bad I was almost in tears and immobile. I feel like my body is in open rebellion with me right now!
I barely got over the back pain when the leg started up.
Jiminey, if my body is going to hurt this bad, this often, I ought to at least be able to retire, right?? LOL... no, about 4 more years.

Sure hope your pains go away quickly Pat.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Is it siatica nerve pain Pat..feel for you..4 years is a longtime away yet not.

Itís a cold one out there -22with a -42 today, would you know I havenít been outing out and about in a week and this morning ds sharon wants to meet up in Barrie for fabric shopping.

Guess one has to go out of the house at some point..

DS and a couple GSs are on their way to help with packing stuff up. Move is not until next week-end but glad to have some help.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Good news,

So many accidents on 400, sharon said it was a white knuckle ride all the way home, I took side roads, took my time amd it was fine.

Bitter cold, stopped at $$$ Store amd bought a supply of lavender, eucalyptus and citrus Epson salt, just put everything away so will have hot bath, just relax and warm up

Bought wallpaper and border for the spare room, next time Iím out will buy paint and that will be next weekendís project.

Other than that, was nice visiting with Sharon and Linda..need a tea as we went for breakfast and tummy churning so hoping hot bath and tea will help

Getting tired of this not feeling well..got to tell you getting older sucks

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Today I was given a quilt that my Mom & I worked on together. It was nice to get it back............

Victoria Harbour, ON

How wonderful Susan..

Susan I know you will cherish that quilt forever.

Knee is a little better. My son set up my PC on the "new" computer desk I bought a couple of weeks ago. RIGHT now is the first I have used this PC. After using laptop exclusively for the last 12 or more years it feels funny. I'll get used it. Will just take some time. I already know I have to buy one of those gel wrists rests. or the lip of the pull out tray for the keyboard will drive me crazy.

We have hired a 2nd caregiver, Shelly. When Ben's hours got increased our primary caregiver could not do all the hours. She has other clients and was at her work week limit. Unfortunately Shelly is temporary as her regular client is in the hospital but this works out for all of us. We will need someone every morning when Ben get's his compression socks and she will not be able to do that anyhow when her regular client is again home and ready to have her back. For now, it works. She gets some hours (and she needs MORE as she needs to work 80 hours a month or lose her health insurance!) and the 10 hours a week Ben was entitled to do not go unserved. Win/win.

Today my goal is to work in the sewing room, sorting and moving some things to barn. I have so much stuff in there I can't move. I gave up 3 feet of length in order to increase the game room area and accommodate 2 recliners.

2 of the granddaughters came for more sewing lessons yesterday. The oldest, Kiki, is really doing well. Takes it seriously and practiced on the serger before she started back to work on her doll clothes. Only problem is that by the time Kiki gets instruction from me, walks out of my sewing area and onto the table we set up, forgets what the next step is! LOL Sissy has not learned speed control yet and I'm going to have to give her a LOT more practice or take her off the serger entirely. I am hoping my grandson will show some interest, he didn't have the option yesterday as he was grounded for not doing chores.

Karen, on your gorgeous new RWB quilt, did you sew a piano key border or was it striped fabric? If it was striped, what was the brand & name? I LOVE the red and white border.

Karen, thank you for the offer, I am not sure of the specs for a QOV, I'll look those up.I am making it RWB, the pattern is called 'Boxing Day' by Scott Flanagan in the Nov/Dec '17 'Quiltmaker' mag. The small center square will be Air Force material.

Susan, how wonderful, precious memories.

Pat, glad you are a bit better and that things are looking up with Ben's care.

Now Betty, what are we to do with you......Well, at least you are safe and warm at home.

I'm thinking minimum size for a QOV is about 60 x 80. in flag colors and a patriotic look. We usually attach a label..I have lots and can send you one, also a certificate.

Pat the border was simply sewing together red & white strips ( think I did two of each) and then cutting them to length. I'd have to look but I think the strips were 2 1/2 wide each.

Well I have a very quiet house now, DS decided the best thing to do was to pack up everything and take it down to storage place. I know it's for the best for all of us. So hopeful DGS & wife will manage to get it together and do what is best for their family. I've only had one melt down so far as I keep finding toys here and there. Packing them up as we will be going down the end of the month for Lolli's first b'day.

Thumbnail by siliolegma
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Home, safe & sound. Drive was uneventful - 13 1/2 hours

Karen, my heart goes out to you, it's always the innocents who have the tightest hold on our heartstrings.

Glad you are home safe Susan.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ton need to tie me down or sit onme, doing that exceed8ngly well lol
What a couch potato Iíve become.

Upside is I felt a lot better today, girls came to sew and I put a friend quilt on the frame.so I put in a good day and now running water for hot bath bath..tired myselfout.

Karen, Iím frowning, know you miss the kids terribly..will take some time to adjust. Did you get your new bed today?

Pat, hugsdear friend, not a wonder you are exhausted..how much fun to teach granddaughters to sew

Oohhh water runners over in tub, got to run
Waving to all others

Don't frown at me Betty, I'm really doing OK. We did get our new bed today. I can't remember the last time I slept in a bed except at the hospital. Sure hoping this is going to work.
Another showing on Thurs. getting ready to call the whole thing off, tired of it all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.