Please help ID this flying bug

North Fort Myers, FL

Are these flying cickroaches? They look like small cockroaches but they fly. They are about 1/2 to maybe 3/4 inch long. This past couple of days, we found these flying bugs in our small cottage-like home on the ceiling next to the light. Yesterday there were 3 that I got rid of. Today, there were 8-10. I lost count. We live in a rural area in Florida North Fort Myers with lots trees & shrubs & bugs in this area. Also, just as an FYI, for 2 weeks, we got a new puppy & she poops & pees in the bathroom a lot that might attract bugs. But, also in the last couple of days a pipe broke in the septic tank system our landlord is working on. I'm praying they are not flying cockroaches. If they are, do you have any experience with how to get rid of them?

Thumbnail by CelaC
Fort Walton Beach, FL(Zone 8b)

I don't have a name for your bug, but I can say it is not a flying roach. I live in north Florida and we have those all the time. Multiple types... The smaller flying ones have a smooth glossy shine and are mid-tone brown with a little pattern. Anyway, I wish I could give you a name. But at least not a roach. :) We use food grade diotomaceous earth and nematodes for bug fixes, not sure that either would work for him though. He looks like he needs parasitic wasps to eat him. Just a gut feeling. For a small number of them it might not be worth that. I hope this helps.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2018 5:32 AM

Minot, ND

This looks like a plant bug in the family Miridae. Although some species in this family (such as the tarnished plant bug) can be serious garden pests, they are simply accidental intruders indoors, and no specific control measures are called for there. If you find them annoying, simply vacuum them up.

North Fort Myers, FL

Thank you both for your response. That helps a lot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.