Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

Save or Replace Climbers

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

In New England we had a difficult winter. In fact it is SNOWING right now. I had another back surgery and unfortunately did not get my roses ready for the season. So I have multiple roses with only two/three surviving canes. Do I clip them back, hope for new growth or just replace. Most are David Austin's but also America, Don Juan ect. About 20 in total. I lost over 25 total roses (not including these climbers).

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I guess that's your call depending on whether you can afford the time, effort, and expense to replace. I would wait and see what happens. Sorry about your hard winter and back issues. Hoping for the best.

Germantown, OH(Zone 6a)

I would save them. The canes may have died back, but an established root system is better than trying to plant a new one. Recovery from this will likely be faster than establishing new plants. I would say that if you can, trim back any dead canes, and the roses should return from the roots - unless they were grafted, in which case you might get something new!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.