Termites?

Loganville, GA

We live a little east of Atlanta. We drug out some garden tools and tiller from a corner of our garage and found this giant pile of dirt. As I was raking out the flower bed on the opposite side of that wall, I found another large mound. I broke it up with the rake a bit and did not see any bugs or signs of life inside the outside mound. I saw one bug run when I did the same thing to the inside mound. I tried to get the best picture I could. I have seen a few carpenter ants outside in the back deck, so I was curious if this is their nest or if it might be termites? We have a termite bond and a pest control plan, but didn't want to call them out if this is not a big deal.

Thumbnail by Sheryl30052 Thumbnail by Sheryl30052 Thumbnail by Sheryl30052 Thumbnail by Sheryl30052 Thumbnail by Sheryl30052
Minot, ND

I doubt that either termites or ants would be responsible for the dirt pile(s); I would suspect a larger burrowing animal. The insect you photographed might be an earwig, but I cannot see enough detail to be certain.

New York City, NY

I think the same. It might be a mole or a groundhog. However, you still need to get rid of those termites. I read here https://pestcontrolhacks.com/get-rid-of-termites/ that boric acid is great repellent, apply it to wooden surfaces and spread around your house. Never tried it, but think it might work.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2019 8:22 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.