What is this bug?

Westbrook, ME

Hi everyone. My husband and I are stumped by this bug that keeps making it's way into our house. It's small and different shades of brown. We live in Maine and we have tried identifing it with all the common bugs for Maine.
I am thinking it's either a baby beetle or a baby cockroach. It's fast when it moves. It has long antanae and anal cercus. Help. Can get a better photo tomorrow if needed.

Thumbnail by Larochelle207 Thumbnail by Larochelle207 Thumbnail by Larochelle207 Thumbnail by Larochelle207
Minot, ND

This does look more like a nymph of a cockroach than anything else, but a clearer photo of its entire dorsum (top side) would be helpful in making a more specific identification. In Maine, in addition to the common household pest species, you have 'wood roaches' (Parcoblatta sp.) that sometimes will come indoors - see http://eol.org/pages/1074111/details for an example.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I agree with Flapdoodle. We get exactly the same critter here in central NC, and here it only comes in when the weather outside is frightful. The exterminator looked at it and said it was a 'woods roach'. He told us not to worry about infestations with them because unlike cockroaches, woods roaches normally inhabit... the woods. They only wander inside for shelter, basically.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.