Time to vote for your favorites in the Pixel County Fair!. HERE is where you can vote!

SOLVED: wildflower in Madrid

Halifax, Canada

I wonder if anyone knows what this pink cone like flower is. It was growing wild on side the highway near Madrid.

Thumbnail by englishnovember
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

My guess is that it could be Epilobium angustifolium or Fireweed. It blooms from June to August, height 3-7 ft. Each group of flowerlets has 4 petals in a group. The leaves are alternate. I can't tell about the leaves on your photo, nor what it looks like up close.
Another guess is Liatris spicata or Blazing-star.
My last guess is Filipendula rubra or Queen-of-the-prairie. All three of these are prairie plants and could be described as appearing where you saw them.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

My guess is that it could be Epilobium angustifolium or Fireweed. It blooms from June to August, height 3-7 ft. Each group of flowerlets has 4 petals in a group. The leaves are alternate. I can't tell about the leaves on your photo, nor what it looks like up close.
Another guess is Liatris spicata or Blazing-star.
My last guess is Filipendula rubra or Queen-of-the-prairie. All three of these are prairie plants and could be described as appearing where you saw them.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I have two more guesses for you.
It may be Eupatorium fistulosum - Joe Pye Weed. The clustered flower heads can get as big as a bushel basket. However, it blooms from July - October. It attracts butterflies.
Or it may be Verbena canadensis - Rose Verbena. It blooms between March - June. The height is 12 - 24 inches, is a good nectar plant for butterflies & hummingbirds..

Halifax, Canada

I am posting a few more photos as these may make the leaves a bit clearer. I know fireweed and I don't think this is it. However, I am open to more suggestions. Many thanks.

Thumbnail by englishnovember Thumbnail by englishnovember Thumbnail by englishnovember Thumbnail by englishnovember Thumbnail by englishnovember
San Gerardo de Rivas, Costa Rica(Zone 12b)

It reminds me of Indigo, Indigofera tinctoria. It's a shrub that grows from 1 to 2 meters tall.

Bretten, Germany

It looks like Onobrychis viciifolia.

San Gerardo de Rivas, Costa Rica(Zone 12b)

I think Suse has hit the nail on the head and it is even native to Spain.
https://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=onobrychis+viciifolia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.