Hemerocallis: a single capsule\'s yield

Göppingen, Germany(Zone 7b)

For experimenting with daylilies, I took the most obvious route: take two you like and look what you'll get. As mother, I chose the well known bicolor 'Frans Hals', while the daddy was a dark red I don't know the name for. The next posts will show some highlights I got from a single seed capsule.

Pic1 seed parent 'Frans Hals'
Pic2 pollen parent unknown dark red

Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak

Pic 1a: slightly darker than Frans, yellow throat - neither ugly nor spectacular

Pic 2a: Still bicolor, but now with the outer petals darker than the grayish inners. Dark eye and green throat, all in all far less yellowish - I like it

Pic 3a:bicolor, all in all more orangeish, even in the troat. Quite OK actually

pic 4a: seemingly a complete chanchellation - looks like a low growing basic fulva, the one that's definitely not a keeper

pic5a: Bicolor with pale backround, more of a rose tint, and a green throat - love it!

Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak

pic 1b: Even more on the rosy side, smaller eye, less bicolor contrast, but really elegant in my opinion

pic 2b: strong contrast bicolor with only slightly tinted outer petals and deep red inners - a stunner to me

pic 3b: dark one with little yellow outside the throat but clear midlines on all petals, plus a fine bright line at the rims

pic 4b: Not much bicolor contrast left, but nice stripes and wide inner petals

pic5b: A complete surprise to me - darker than the dark parent but clearly contrasted midrib on inner and outer petals

Now I'm actually in trouble - i only wanted to keep 3 or so, but besides 4a, every one is nice in their own way. I've very much enjoyed this experiment and I'm more then pleased with the outcome - it's even hard to define a favourite, though I think I'm in love with 5b, even though i started with the idea of creating a nice bicolor...

Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.