chelone

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I just purchased some Chelone 'Hot Lips' and I'm trying to find the right place for them . One site I go to says shade or part shade and another says full sun. I've never seen more disagreement on planting conditions! What actually works???

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would trust MOBOT's description:
"Best grown in moist, rich, humusy, medium to wet soils in full sun to part shade. Best in cool summer climates in part shade areas. Tolerates close to full shade. Consider pinching back the stem ends in spring to reduce mature plant height, especially if growing plants in strongly shaded areas where they are more likely to need some support. In optimum environments, however, staking is usually not required. Appreciates a good composted leaf mulch, particularly in full sun areas. Spreads slowly by rhizomes to form large clumps, but is not invasive. Will self-seed in moist soils. Propagate by division, cuttings and seed."

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=293430

I've seen stands of it in part shaded areas at a few botanical gardens. Beautiful plant.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much, Loretta. Sounds like it's pretty adaptable to most anything. I always appreciate a plant like that. I had it in mostly shade but moved it to full sun when I didnt get any trustworthy information. If it doesn't do well there I will move it again. Won't be the first time!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Right. I grow Chelone glabra alba and that one is sensitive to too much sun so it seems.

Pittsburgh, PA

I have grown chelone “hot lips”in partial shade and full sun. Does well in both.

Chelone Glabra, white turtle head, in the shade, grew only a foot tall and became a small colony of plants. That flower is more pink than white.

I love it.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mine has been white so far and a little taller. It's only been a couple of years so no colony yet. I probably don't have enough moisture. I think 'Hot Lips' is the more attractive garden plant but Alba is a possible host plant.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Loretta and Obliqua. I now have mine in full sun. I'll let you know how it fairs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.